Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / slightly annoying

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 11:33
how is it that a $2700 computer can only run a game like Halo or Doom 3 with no bump mapping and lowered texture quality(still with some lag), when a $150 xbox can run them perfectly? is it because consoles are dedicated exclusively to gaming?

[href]www.bcgames.dbspot.com[/href]
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 11:43
Computers have to run the operating system in the background, not to mention the other tasks like virus scanners, etc...

Where are you looking A $2700 computer should be able to run everything with all graphics on full...What video card does it have?

Xander Moser of Bolt Software
Firewall: Your Computer's First Defense - Real Time Strategy game
[href][/href]
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Wierd. I Can Run Halo At Full Quality At 640x480 With A Little Lag. My PC Costs $800.

-Ilya
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 11:54
how old is your 2700 dollar computer If it's only worth a few hundred dollars now, then that's why you can't run halo

mr dr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 11:54
not mine, a friends new Mac. I dont know what the gfx card is though. it might run different on Macs.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 12:03
I have a G4 with Geforce FX 5950 Ultra, runs the Doom3 Timedemo full options at a lovely 75fps 1024x768
Most Macintosh are shipped with Radeon 9200 or Geforce FX 5200.
I'm still not sure why...

This said the Mac is also far far far far far far far, more expensive than it should be.
To get a PC Equal power to a $2,700 Mac, your looking at around $1,000 max;

And the X-Box can do the games for cheaper because the hardware is done in bulk and cheaper to make. Remember the X-Box was 1year old technology when it hit the market, and has now been on the market for almost 3years. So your looking at pretty ancient technology in computing terms.
The graphics card really in newer games, is the be-all and end-all of your power; you have a crap card no matter how powerful your processor is, it ain't gonna help.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 14:14
They also are scaling down the models and texture quality for the Xbox release if I'm correctly informed (which I'm quite often not). I've seen side-by-side screenshots of both Xbox and PC versions of Doom 3 and there's quite a big difference.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2004 17:56
I've checked out the stuff for X-Box Doom3 and HL2, I'd say HL2 looks more polished, and Doom3 might suffer the same over-reached problem as Unreal2 (jerky animation, murky graphics) - but I haven't seen anything that'll put me off buying them both.

I think HL2 and D3 are well suited to the console, because since the PC originals of those games were released, console gaming has evolved, and the X-Box has emerged as a good machine for PC FPS conversions. I have no doubt that both games will be fairly short, but it should mean really intense gameplay, and I'm sure they'll both have good replay value too.

I reckon my PC is better suited to games like Call of Duty, for fast pased shooters like Doom3, I want a massive screen, a comfy seat, and I want it all in the middle of a 5.1 setup. That versus me hunched over a PC keyboard, there's not much competition.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
mr dr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 01:28
ok, thanks Raven

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:36:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:36:05