Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What's the worst error on your computer ever?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 02:19
What was the worst error on your computer ever, what did it do, what did you do?

IT's C-c-ount OLAF!

ARESST HIM!!!!!!!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 02:30
Whoa - Please reduce the size of your sig. It's too big in almost every way. Something around 450x150 and under 60k is reasonable.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Leon J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 02:32
Okay.

IT's C-c-ount OLAF!

ARESST HIM!!!!!!!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 03:09
It didn't change...

I came, I saw and I forgot all about it... or something...
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 03:27
Worst error I've ever seen, and I'm not kidding when I say this, was an error on starting the computer that said something similar to "Error: no processor was found".
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 03:36
Worst error I've had on this computer would have to be some direct x/codec related MP3 problems. I have yet to have a blue screen of death on this thing.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 03:39
Worst error ever: Last year my computer started thinking it's a monkey.

And that's the guy's sig??? I thought he posted it in relation to the thread...although I didn't get it.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 03:39
it said

#[[[#*## /

all over the screen, then the beeper locked on solid, then the monitor gave a high pitched squeal and never worked again, had to pull the plug to stop it (not recomended except as an ultra last resort), it was a 286 IBM machine work had thrown out two years previously..I used it for dos programming, the hard drive was unreadable in any machine I tried it in (all 40mb) so I lost all the code, the keyboard worked for another year or so, miles better than these Logitech/Chicony Multimedia toy things you get now, you could type like fire on it and never miss a character.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 03:47
Worst Error you can find in this thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=16256&b=2

I didn't know much back then... 'twas way back when I first joined, and when I couldn't spell... And when I was a bit mroe impatient...

But, now i've got a new computer, Running XP, havent had a problem yet.

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Mine was this. Error Windows can not find WIN.COM so windows can not start up.

Are you a leader or follower.
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Mine was when I was installing a windows service pack. It was taking too long and I got bored. The cancel button was disabled(grayed) So I manually closed the process with the task manager. It shut down my computer and wouldn't let me open WinXP outside of safe mode. Had to reformat.

This sig has been dullified!
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 05:10
This wasnt on my computer, but I was at my friends house the other day, he had just gotten DarkBasic, and he loves saving space, so I told him to do a minimal install, and then for some reason he uninstalled it, and whenever he took the CD out a popup came up saying "DBProAssist.exe is not in Drive D" or something. He got super pissed at me because he just redid that computer ;P

Then, using my magical abilities, I pressed the restart button and everything was fixed.

Moral of the story: Don't help friends.

Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
Darksyde
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 05:24
worst error ever... well not techinically an error. i was watching a dvd on my pc the other week and there was a bang and huge flame came out of the back of my pc :S the worrying thing is that everythin seems to be running fine still

Im willing to find out what impossible means.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 05:31
301: Keyboard not present.
Press any key to continue

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 05:32
Quote: "What was the worst error on your computer ever"

When I first got BDP I was trying all kinds of things trying to learn how it works. When I got to calling dlls I made an illegal error and my Compiled DBP program just shut down right after loading. 1's and 0's covered all of my window bars (and taskbar) and the place where my icons should have been on my desktop. My computer totally stopped responding.
Quote: "what did you do"

I looked around real quick to see if anyone was looking and pressed reset on my computer. Even the reset button didn't work. I was really getting worried now so I unplugged it for like 30 secs. When i restarted all was well. Needless to say I am very very carefull about using dlls now.

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 06:17
worst error ever :

When I had to load a game (on tape) during 90 minutes on my C64, and at the end it says it wasn't loaded correctly.

Awfull, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who had that problem.

- Mind the gap -
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 06:30
Hmmm. Would have to be an error 103 : operating system error. Normally means corruption. Ok, so it wasn't technically "my computer", but a multi-million pound corporation's main Unix booking computer that I had just authorised a full system rebuild (of sorts). In the middle of the day. Ah. Damn. So thats complete system reboot, major rebuilding of corrupt bookings, and big meetings/ complaints. Hmmm. Was down for about 3 hours with the internet booking system being down for the whole day. Arrggglleee..... I was having a very ill, feeble minded, and stupid kind of day at the time...

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 06:32 Edited at: 27th Jul 2004 06:32
Quote: "When I had to load a game (on tape) during 90 minutes on my C64, and at the end it says it wasn't loaded correctly.

Awfull, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who had that problem."

too true, those official C2N cassete players where totaly useless, they must have used the cheapest player mechanisms on the planet in them, back then people though I was a code Guru cos I could make a program that acted like disco lights (an endless loop that cls`ed the screen different colors and "wait"ed for random lengths of time), I solved my loading problems on the 64 when I got a Cheeta tape adaptor that allowed me to use a Sony player (Commodores tape connector was totaly non standard), that was MUCH better.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
The Dark Padawan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 06:39
My worst error happened when I opened up Paintshop Pro 5(or 6 I can't remember )
it didn't say anything, MY COMPUTER JUST CRASHED! I lost a ton of
stuff , so I sat down and cried
of coarse that was when I was like 10 or 11,
when I first started out with The Games Factory.
Now I'm 13 going on 14 and I've learned to save
my stuff to cd's

"Nintendo GameCube is the best"
"I'm back! and Darker than ever!!!"
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 06:52
My worst error was with Alone in the Dark. I somehow managed to loop an Alone in the Dark demo on start-up instaed of loading windows. A friend of mine had to format it and reinstall windows. I´ve never liked the Alone in the Dark series since.

Quote: "miles better than these Logitech/Chicony Multimedia toy things you get now"

That´s the only time that the "They don´t make them like they used to" statement was total correct. I wish mine still works this keyboard requires you to sledge hammer the blasted keys.

Jam on mother f**ker.
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
DarkPhear
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 07:19
"The processor might be damaged or not connected properly..."
After I have updated my BIOS I hear this voice message every day. And the strange thing is that everything works great.

Cleber de Mattos Casali, game programmer.
DarkPhear is a full freeware RPG developed by me. You can download it and some game demos for free at my page: http://darkphear.cjb.net
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 08:47
One of the funniest errors i saw was "Error: only one processor found", that was on a version of knoppix on my friends computer. I also love the modem error, "Windows could not install your modem. Would you like to search the internet for drivers" or something like that

The 3d chat is coming...
In the meantime, come in the IRC. Ask me for details!!.
Leon J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 06:55
Quote: "It didn't change..."

I changed it after that post

We must get rid of COunt olof, help me waste him. The eye of Olaf is on his ankle, and hehas a unibrow, shiny eyes, dirty, and want to get the Baudelaire fortune!!!!!!!!!!!@
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 06:57
Worst error ever was the stupid "Windows has encountered an error" screen and then I moved it and it kept copying itself. After shutting down my computer that day the monitor kept flickering off and on.

*phew* Good thing it's fixed now.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Leon J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 06:57
I didn't do it on my computer but on a different one I crashed the DSL. (I try to be careful with the macses in school)

We must get rid of COunt olof, help me waste him. The eye of Olaf is on his ankle, and hehas a unibrow, shiny eyes, dirty, and want to get the Baudelaire fortune!!!!!!!!!!!@
Leon J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 07:00
Quote: "301: Keyboard not present.
Press any key to continue"

That's Weird! How could you press if theres no KB?

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 07:01
*beep*beep*beeeeeep* and the screen doesn't display anything and the hard drive keeps seeking and you wonder if you have a $500 boat anchor.
--
TAZ

The "it" is a kind of force that gives rise to technology, something undefined, but inhuman, mechanical, lifeless, a blind monster, a death force.
Leon J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 07:03
Quote: " The Games Factory."

WOW! I love that program, I've had it most of this year!

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 07:11
Not really an error message but

Quote: "If you are having trouble connecting to your email, plus contact tech support at support@..."

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 08:10
Represent
Years of Service
User Offline
My worst error was when my computer booted up and said "Hard Drive Error - Invalid Partition". SInce then I could never use the computer again.

SPECS:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 512MB RAM, 128MB ATI RADEON 9600SE, 16x DVD ROM & CD-R/W 52x32x52 Combo Drive, 19" Flat Screen CRT, 3 12" Cold Cathode Blue Neons
Leon J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 09:39
By the way, it don't have to be the worst error, it can just be a bad error

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 09:43
The worse errors tend not to have messages:
1) Programming in DBP, I pressed F5, no message just a reboot. Nothing made in DBP works anymore. I don't even get an error message, it just sits there...
2) Turned on laptop, windows starts loading. And continues loading. Forever.

Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 10:33
worst error ever was my computer sayed ntldr.sys is missing or corrupt and after restoring the mbr along with that file it just gave some wierd looking letters and the word stupid across the screen over and over i had to buy xp home cause somebody stole my copy that came with my computer and then after reformating i didn't have any sound and i need to buy a new sound card now just haven't yet
and by the way all this is true

Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 10:51
another error i had was when i was gone for 3 days when i came back i was going to sort out my backup and clean it up when i clicked on it it said this drive is not formated would you like to format it now god i was about to kill some one i rebooted my computer over 10 times i even went as far as installing another os just to see if it was a software error i also tried rewriting the boot sector and mbr then i just had to face it and tried to find a file recoverer but everything that i used could only recover 10-20 files and you would be lucky if you could find 1 non curropted file
i also had to reinstall windows in about 1 week cause of a virus i can't get rid of that will format your hdd on that date or after it
so i just ended up saving my start bar so i would know what programs i had

Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 10:53
i didn't mean installing another os i meant booting into dos (it was a fat32 partition)

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 20:46
Doing a "df -h" on our production servers at work and seeing that the MySQL partition was 100% full. MySQL does not cope very well* when it cannot write anything to the HDD.

*by "does not cope very well" I mean, it fails gloriously. Corruption, no shutdown, slow... wonderous.

Errie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 01:19
The worst error I've ever had was recently when I was upgrading my computer to Windows XP.

Everything was working fine until I connected to the internet. About 30 seconds after connection I got the old blue error screen (which worried me considering I'd heard that they'd been taken out of XP), saying that it was dumping physical memory. I don't actually know what this means but it doesn't sound great.

Thankfully this never happened again but I could never get on the internet with XP, it just restarted after about 30 seconds every time. I'm now back on ME trying to decide what to do.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the ligtning bolts, and tore the world asunder.
teh game wiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 01:25
my was on the blue screen of death when it basicly said my graphics card had overheated and melted

Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 01:48
Quote: "I\'m now back on ME trying to decide what to do."

Not ME! noooooo
I\'m on ME its turd I get that same blue screen I would say once or twice every other day , I blame AOL!

Supermonkey - The crime gifhting sex god monkey!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I was writing a script for Star Trek Voyager, and I was to be paid £10,000. The script would have saved the series! I had just 5 pages left to write!!!....................

My FAT was destroyed on a Harddrive, and I lost everything!

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 03:40
Is that true Mr. Paxton?

WWSD?
Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one whose little path would make me sad who's power is Satan. He'll give you give you 666. There was a little toolshed where he made us suffer sad Satan.
Leon J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 03:45
Couple of days ago, I was listening to music, and my bro. tryed to tell me somin, andI try to fullscreen my thing, then I got the BSoD, then my computer re-started,and that was that. (I'll tell you a wonderful story about my old computer breaking later )

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is that true Mr. Paxton?"

Yeah it's true!!!

One day I'm gonna get that script off that harddrive somehow.

Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 05:20 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 05:21
for a website dedicated to listening to your crashes goto http://windowscrash.com
now my turn
i just installed win98 and i already had winxp i knew that because my C: drive was ntfs formated that i might run into some problems but something as simple as chamging C: to D: it screwed up almost all my registry so i could only boot into safe mode all my programs i had to reinstall and my cd drive wouldn't work in winxp and my graphics cardd would only do vga i had to reformat or spend weeks changing the registry cause i had another partition that was d: so but it did boot win98 ok

Leon J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 01:39
THe wonderful error... I was 4 years old when it happened, maybe 5.
I was told to delete downloads, cuz the harddrive was full, I deleted system files, I turned off the computer, when it was turned back on, there was a dos window, so I typed in "Exit" then we got the BSoD! It said somin about VFAT or FAT exploding, that was with our windows 95! Now we have Windows XP, and we have a drive with NTFS, and we have 37 GB! (does anyone know what a Terabyte is?)

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 01:50 Edited at: 6th Oct 2004 03:42
a byte that scares ppl. My worst error this PC doenst exist

:: Pulse Board Forums :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 02:24
Quote: "I was writing a script for Star Trek Voyager, and I was to be paid £10,000. The script would have saved the series! I had just 5 pages left to write!!!...................."
Heh, that reminds me. Basically after University I was dead lazy. So instead of looking for a job I played lots of games and also started mucking around in Quick Basic and Visual Basic For DOS. I ended up writing a program that looked quite a lot like that Mac encarta type effort (which is what I was aiming for). So basically text, graphics, hyperlinks, mouse support etc. I was well into Macs at the time (did my final year project on them) so didn't really realise I was basically writing something quite similar to HTML. We had only just found Mosaic at the time and just thought it was another route for the internet (like FTP, telnet, gopher, newsgroups blah blah). Was also really basic.

Anyhows I basically got it all working pretty much and was using it as an Encarta type tool (not sure if Encarta was even out then...), having to write all the mouse code (like the GUI frontends you have to write for DB nowadays) etc etc. I was using it to basically write a computer version of Terry Pratchett's Discworld companion book. Never even considered it being online, just as a CD that comes with a book or visa-versa.

I had the code pretty much fully written. As in it deciphered a text file, and produced text, graphics, hyperlinks, even video. Was pretty cool. I had also typed in the first few chapters of the book, and it was coming together somewhat. Anyway, I decided to contact the publisher of Terry Pratchett and see what happened. They got back to me a couple of weeks later, with a call from his agent. Can't remember his name, but something like Henry Wilkenten-Smythe. You know, really posh. And he sounded it too. Basically got the speech about how Terry was really techy, but didn't have the time to do something like that himself. Like hell, nothing existed on the PC at the time that would allow a non-programmer to create such a thing. Whatever. The bloke got really excited about putting all the books onto CD's etc (this was when CD's were starting to get popular on PC's). Wasn't really my intention, but who was I to argue? I wanted a data version of the companion book so I wouldn't have to type it all in. He said they would give me copyright to all the books so it wouldn't be a problem. Hmmm. Whatever, just give me the data. Was a bit cagey about that, and eventually requested a demo. So I sent them a couple of disks worth and left it at that.

A week went by and the agent told me it didn't work on his computer. Several days of trying to send him software (simcga and that kind of thing - graphics adapters) didn't really work. Guy was totally non-techy. I was just about to go there and set it all up when I got accepted at a software company. Considering I was still living at home after 10 months, and how the agent was starting to get cold on me, I just let it drop.

So not my error, but someone elses. Still, could have been so different.... am sure the bloke said Terry earned about £10 ($18?) a word at the time. Probably trying to impress me or something. Which it obviously did (this was like a decade ago)....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 03:09
my worst error:

illegal operation

ahhh since when did using internet explorer become illegal. well the'll never cach me..........NEVER!........*runs away*

I discriminate against discriminating people....
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 04:13
OMG m PC just BS0Ded me when running Direct3D testing within Dxdiag, only had 1 ie window and one messenger, running nothing substancial, yet m dad thinks its only memory. Specs:

1 GHz Pentium 3
256 Megs of ram
i think it is Geforce 3 MX 440 or something like that

dunt know the rest, the PC im using now, has crashed and has no start bar (can use windows button tho) specs:

Celeron 2 Gig
256 meg ram
GeForce 4 MX 440 with 64 megs of ram

+ u can, i dunt know how, change the colour of the BSoD

.: Join the "No Tables" campaign! :.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-23 00:33:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-23 00:33:46