Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Moving up in the world (sorry for double posting)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, i have never made a 2d OR 3d game. only a text based Survival horror game. i learnt a lot about subs and if statements etc. it helped me learn more about the language but now i really want to create a simple 3d game like a fps or a 3rd person shooter for the learning experience. I received DBP for my birthday (july 20th )
and want to move up to create 3D games.

any help would be appreciated, thanx

Kirt

Yart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 22:00
hey cool! Happy (late) birthday!

Just wanted to say that, I'm still rather new with DBP... but check around the forums, you might find what you're looking for, I bet everything has been covered on here.

Pie!
Kenomica_deleted
Years of Service
User Offline
thanx lol

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 22:37
DarkBasic Pro comes with a tutorial on making a simple FPS. Although it is kind of boring (no offense TGC ), it will teach you the basics. From there, just add some new things, like jumping and such.

Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
Yart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2004 22:50
I found a glitch in it though, if you look up and strafe, you go up into the air.

Pie!
Kenomica_deleted
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried the tut. it was a lil confusin. it didnt reaally tell you what code did what or where to put it. most of the time i didnt no if i was meant to put it in a sub or on its own

Yart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 04:34
yeah... it was kinda blah... but when you get into DarkBASIC a bit more, you understand where to put them. Keep trying and refer back to the already made one if you're stuck

Pie!
Kenomica_deleted
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm, thnx. the way it was set out kinda says put it all after the other but then i have load of subs wit note in lol nd then i dunno wot to put in which sub lol arrrrgh

Yart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 05:31
lol I was like that too when I TRIED to do it... it killed me man! It really did!
/me cries

Pie!
Kenomica_deleted
Years of Service
User Offline
you anywhere where i can get better tuts that explain a lil more coz i dont always no wot code does wot i just have to mindlessly copy code which i dont understand, so am not really learning am i lol. i kind of need help thats in lamens terms lol

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 12:33
Start with something simple and just set yourself goals to add to it, then look up the commands in the help files/manual or ask a more specific question here to achieve that goal, and basically fiddle with the code to see what each bit does.

Here's something to get you started, click the source button below, all the commands have been commented to give you an idea of what they do, but if you're unsure check the help or just change something and see what happens. Trial and error. Then when you are confident with the existing commands try adding something, like loading in a model to replace the cube (Load Object) or strafing instead of turning (Move Object Left). The skies the limit
Aoneweb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 12:53
Get the book

Toshiba Sattelite, 2GHz,Nvidia GeForce4 420go, Windows XP Home. www.aoneweb.com
Kenomica_deleted
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 03:16 Edited at: 31st Jul 2004 04:32
Thanx Sparky , thats quite usefull actualy. ill tinker around with it and see what i can do,

[ EDIT ] can you help me with commands to texture the matrix? am a total n00b but this is helping me understand quite a bit, i tried to load an object but i kept getting an error o and is it normal for a game to run really unsmoothly under ANY sync rate? any project i have ever done has ran really slow, ive tried from 0 to 125 and they all run unsmooth(even this one with the cube on the blank matrix), mayb i jus have a really bad pc lol.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 09:01
What kind of error are you getting? I've included some new commands in the source to texture a matrix and load an object. Here's the media I used:

http://sparky152.homestead.com/files/media.zip

It may be your computer that's causing the slow down, even though you set the refresh rate high, your computer may not be able to do it that fast, I've made the code print out the actual refresh rate that you're getting so you can see how well your computer is doing
Kenomica_deleted
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, sorry i didnt post back, i was on holiday lol, thanx 4 the source code and the media, argh! i just tried the media nd it wont let me download!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 21:37:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 21:37:11