Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Someone help.. very annoying...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 14:08
I got my new graphics card today, and after it was installed I let a friend upgrade my drivers, and apparently he's changed a setting or something, and now everything shows up like this:

Apparently all the images show up as those box things.. And this is annoying as hell. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 14:20 Edited at: 28th Jul 2004 14:20
If you are using IE ... click tools, internet options, advanced, multimedia and make sure the show pictures box is checked.

The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 14:22
You're a lifesaver! Thanks a ton!

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 14:27
Glad I could help.

The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 14:31
Hey Lost In Thought.. I don't know if you'd be able to help me with this, but I have a pretty (annoying) thing happening when I play any type of game.

Well, what happens is every 5 or so minutes it'll have lag for about 30 seconds.. then quit, and does it again, repeatedly. I bought a new graphics card to correct this, but it's still happening . I was positive my GeForce 6800 could handle an easy game such as warcraft.. but it's still happening.

Thanks though .

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 14:39
What's your system specs?

The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 14:43
1.8 GHz
512mb RAM
80gb Ultra ATA/100
Nvidia GeForce 6800 AGP
Windows XP home edition
Computer- Sony Vaio (PCV-RX580)

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 15:02
*** I think that is a P4.? You may want to check your cpu temp. P4 and P3 (More so P4) will run slower at high temps to cool themselves off. I ran into this with my new P4. I had a bad thermal pad on my heatsink. I removed the pad and used arctic silver thermal paste and it corrected itself. This will cause pauses in processor intensive programs. My 3D screensaver (had about 50 ships battling) would even lag my 2.8GHZ P4. Now it will run anything fine. Make sure your case is clean of dust also it will cause all kinds of sluggishness.

*** If that doesn't work I would look into driver updates. You can right click start,programs,accessaries,system tools,system information, tools, then DirectX Diagnostic tool to check and see if there are any driver compatability problems with DirectX. You should have DX 9.0b installed.

*** Also you may want to make sure no one has turned off your systems pagefile. Right click on my computer, click properties, advanced and under performance click settings, then click advanced tab, under virtual memory click change. At the bottom it will tell you what the recommended for your system is. Make sure it is at least that or just click on system managed size. Click ok and it will bring you back to the Performance options advanced section and make sure both processor and memory usage are set to programs instead of background services or system cache.

Hope this helps I have to sleep now Good Luck!

The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 15:19
Thanks for the help!

I can't try the first now (because it's too late to go and buy some thermal paste), but the other two didn't work. I think it's odd that it only happens during games, so what you said must be true.

Thanks again!

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 18:10
lag in warcraft is mainly caused by two things.

granted u have broadband it can be these things

no1 culprit AOL users and the AOL exe

no2 culprit spyware agents.
use spybot search n destroy / adaware and hijackthis to remove all the nastys

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 06:53
Thanks for the help indi . But it also lags in every game I play (if it's not 2d or something small) such as Prince of Persia. I am updating all my spyware removers now as we speak.
Thanks for the help guys.

The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 16:41
Lost in Thought, do you know where I could get some of that thermal paste?

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 16:48 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 16:58
Any good computer repair shop or parts store should have it just make sure it is a silver compound paste and not silicone based. Arctic silver works great. You might also want to check and make sure all of your fans are working. Including the one(s) in the power supply. Also on the spyware front. I just got a nasty one that neither spybot, adaware, nor norton antivirus could detect. Hijack this could detect it but only temporarily fix it. Had to go offline and bootup in safe mode to manually delete the files.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=36116&b=2&p=0 It was about to drive me mad.

[edit] Also if you have never used thermal paste before follow the instructions that come with it very strictly. You can do more harm than good if installed incorrectly. Remember silver paste conducts electricity (even though it has high resistance) as well as heat.
This may be of some help.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:36:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:36:09