Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC compo 2004, do you have already an idea for your entry?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 23:06 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 00:34
hi guys, please post your idea for your entry for the compo , I have an simple idea but not worth telling it it is a little supid, but im sure wich game i pick, i pick OpWolf.

let me hear about your idea!

p.s. please dont post questions here, for questions go to the competition thread in darkbasic professional discussion.

syntax error??? it isn't an error, it is a feature

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 23:10
I've got ideas for all three, quite inventive ones too.
Unfortunately we can only pick one... this and DarkGirl is force-labering me to finish our IDE *before* i get to have any competition playtime

Personally I'm going for Game Type 3, however I have a sneay suspicion my brother wants to make Game Type 1 as he had a truely sweet idea for it yesterday that I think will make his stand out if he does.

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 23:24
Quote: "Personally I'm going for Game Type 3"

I think that the most of the guys here are going for type 3

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 23:30
Yeah, FPS heaven - my brother was contemplating entering, but I think he was hoping to be able to remake something like supersprint, Of course we're both great fans of the snake game in Fusion Frenzy, and that's quite straightforward, even simpler than snake in terms of game logic.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 23:32 Edited at: 28th Jul 2004 23:43
Quote: "I've got ideas for all three, quite inventive ones too.
Unfortunately we can only pick one... "

Didn't Rich say in the thread on the DBPro discussion board that we are allowed to enter one entry per category?

This sig has been dullified!
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 23:33
yes

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 23:41
ITS ONE GAME PER CATEGORY!!!!

"Could you do something where you don't need a video card cause i don't have one" - Program Expert
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 23:50
that's what dgamer said..

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 23:50
My son wants to join in so I may be working on two projects. He's a DBP newbie, but he has a goofy/cool idea for a Kaiju Scorched Earth clone. If he can pull off the art resources, I'll help him code it.
--
TAZ

The "it" is a kind of force that gives rise to technology, something undefined, but inhuman, mechanical, lifeless, a blind monster, a death force.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think I can make 2 and 3, and No1 is hard to make original, so I'm probably not going to enter.

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2004 23:58
hey zircher i can help ur son

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 00:13
Quote: "Didn't Rich say in the thread on the DBPro discussion board that we are allowed to enter one entry per category?"

Nope, 1 game period.

Quote: "Pick one of the game types above then set about making your own version of it in either DarkBASIC or DarkBASIC Professional."

That's from the Rules, and in the Competition game thread Rich said you may only Enter 1 game for each Catagory.
Thus 1 Game total.

This is a different stance from the previous competitions which allowed you to enter multiple. That said, can you imagine how many complaints there would be if the same person scored high in all catagories? It makes perfect sense to only allow 1 Entry Per Person.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 00:14
I appreciate the offer, but I really want him to do the graphics stuff since he's good with DoGA when he applies himself.

But, he has to be not grounded first. (Fighting with mama-san is not wise.)
--
TAZ

The "it" is a kind of force that gives rise to technology, something undefined, but inhuman, mechanical, lifeless, a blind monster, a death force.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 00:24
Straight to bed with no DarkBASIC? - THE HUMANITY!

Sounds very harsh to me, I remember when a kick in the goolies was the only punishment we needed - banning DB is both cruel and unusual!.

Maybe show him how to draw concept sketches (top, left side, front, etc) so he can work on some designs and get a feel for what he wants to do with the game. Teaching is so much easier when you have a definitive goal to aim towards, so I'd suggest you work on a design brief first.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 02:41
I've never played OpWolf and I used to played Scorched Earth every day in high school, so I've made up my mind what I'm going to work on

I'm also not a fan of creating 3D games when I can't model worth crap.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 04:35
Quote: "Maybe show him how to draw concept sketches (top, left side, front, etc) so he can work on some designs and get a feel for what he wants to do with the game. Teaching is so much easier when you have a definitive goal to aim towards, so I'd suggest you work on a design brief first."

Good point, but he's a much better artist than I am. Concept sketches would be a good avenue now that he has the free time to do that.
--
TAZ

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i got an idea for my time crisis style game. im going for a comical approach and i reckon even if it may not win a prize (there will be more than 50 entrants) it'll still go down in TGC history as a popular game. im gonna stick to my idea wether jrowe lies it or not (he should have gone on holiday).

i also got an idea for snake, if i have time at the end i might spend a day coding it, but i preffer my time crisis game, though my snake idea is pretty good and orginial too.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Do they have to be 3D cuz I have an idea for snake, just with a story and the snake is a data collecting ship.

Got anime?I do.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
They don't have to be 3D. 2D won some prizes last time...Or pseudo 2D.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 05:51
OpWolf HAS to be 3D, though. Check the rules in the newsletter.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 06:35
Anyone know where to get some decent 3D solders (or 2D top-down sprites) ?

I came, I saw and I forgot all about it... or something...
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
TCA, theres the one that comes with darkmatter demo.

the first two categories can be either 2d or 3d.

the fps thingy has to be 3d.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 07:12
I reckon that sprites would be fine, if you use 3D backdrops, maybe just nab the arcade rom sprites and retouch them - should look cool.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 07:13
ooo fps games for me, its my time to shine

well i wouldent wanna give away my ideas just yet :-p, ooo i love fps games, my last 2 compo entries were fps games lol, also i think i see a trend, 1st entry(retro) i forget a few files so it wouldent run, alienware compo, 10th place fps again, soo that must mean that this compo im gonna come last

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 07:40
I will not be entering this competition. My project doesn't fit into any of the categories and I'd prefer to devote all of my (limited) spare development time to it.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 14:03
I'm not particularly interested in FPS-style games, so I think I'll be making a scorched-earth game (3D). have a few ideas worked out... already stumped on a few others

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 14:21
Haha... my brother is holding me to ransom.
He said I better get XP working on his machine again else he's gonna kick me hard whilst i'm sleeping.

Sounds like when i do he's gonna enter the Type-1 game
Definately some cool ideas being thrown around.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 14:42
Me, I'm going for Scorched Earth. It's easy enough to make a deformable matrix. Just raise the whole thing 50 or so units and then whenever the bullet goes below the matrix subtract a little from that tile.

Might take a look at Kevil's memblock destruction code in the codebase though for a more realistic effect.

Scorched Earth was one of the very first games I remember playing. (or at least a version of it) Man that was fun, I still have a demo of it on my "Most Valuable Games Vol. 2" cd. (August 1995!!)

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 19:47
I've decided to stop doing the Remake 2004 compo to do this one, becuase it just appeals to me more. I think I'll do a Scorched Earth style game. I kind of had an idea of putting it in 3d as a third person game, an I've figured out a way to make really nice deformable terrain. And I'll be postin my source code, although its in C++ so not everyone will understand it.

P.S. I really need a new graphics card

http://www.jellystudios.tk
Current Project: Choplifter Remake
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 22:01
Quote: "TCA, theres the one that comes with darkmatter demo"

Trouble is those are somewhat "limited"

I came, I saw and I forgot all about it... or something...
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 22:18
I've decided that as I'm not able to enter this competition I am going enter my own competition instead. I'm currently predicting a 98.93% chance of winning it.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 22:50
Philip, I'll enter your competition. Don't want you getting too complacent.

BTW, can I submit an incomplete demo of something I did 18 months ago, that doesn't actually run but is a nice concept? I've got an A4 sheet of paper somewhere with some scribbling to support my entry.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 23:22
If I finish my remake-game some time before the ultimatum of this compo, maybe I'll join

- Mind the gap -
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 02:01
Philip, I'll enter your compo if there's a decent prize. Maybe you have some spare picnic baskets you don't need anymore.

My game would be a hunting game where you stealthily move around yellowstone park and kill as many bears as you can using a variety of acme products like in roadrunner cartoons.

Boo!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 10:33
@BatV and Spooky, sorry but you want to enter my compo with games involving the murder of bears....????? Do you have any idea how appalling this is? Its like entering a game to TGC's compo involving the murder of Rich Davey. I don't care what the rules are, its unlikely to be received favourably.

Lets recap some basic concepts here:

1. BEARS ---> GOOD

2. MURDER OF BEARS ---> BAD

Utilising sheer irrationality theory (or ShIT for short) I have decided to close off my competition to anyone other than myself. If you happen to be myself you are entitled to enter. If you aren't, you aren't. I am happy to take submissions contending that you are myself but you will be obliged to prove that you are me. This will not be an easy burden to discharge.

Philip

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 11:06
lmao

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 11:09
I wonder how philip would react if we all entered games in the TGC compo that had park rangers killing bears that mischieviously stole everyones pick a nick baskets, in an operation wolf kind of way.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 11:11 Edited at: 30th Jul 2004 11:11
Or what if we were a bear tearing down park rangers with nets!

Ok, no more ideas from me.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 19:05
Quote: "Its like entering a game to TGC's compo involving the murder of Rich Davey."

*Looks at Froogle*

Froogle, maybe your idea wasn't that well thought-through?

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 21:36
Thats what i was thinking

I'm making a Scorched styley game. Its moving slightly more towards the "Worms" style aswell. A party type game, with a few limited single player options, a range of weapons, but with the emphasis on getting angles and power right... oh and destructable landscapes, all in 2D!

Although a move to 3D might be in order, as i can't draw for toffee, then again i can't model either... so it'll probably be a text-based scorched earth game...

DBP Fanboy is a Unregistered trademark of ReD_eYe uninteractive, no rights reserved.
http://redeye.dbspot.com/fanboy.html
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 21:40
Hehe: "Shot at angle 45 degrees with power 20 missed. Where? Wouldn't you like to know!"

I'm not sure if I'm going to enter this compo, I've been too busy doing other projects and working. That said, I like the compo, namely because I played every single one of the games

AMD Athlon XP2800+
GeForce FX5200 128MB
1024MB DDR 333MHz RAM
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
lol @ spooky

exeat> i dont reember saying that

preston- how come you dont come on #darkbasic no more? we're missing you. sorry about our fall-out but my hate for you went long ago. i wont bitch at u no more i promise

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 22:34 Edited at: 30th Jul 2004 22:36
Made some progress! Ever get that feeling when whatever your working on becomes fun to test? That just happened, colours are pretty bright but you get the general idea...

edit, @froogle - you said you were making a time crisis style game, and you've been requesting pics of the tgc team, seems like theys gonna get shot up.

DBP Fanboy is a Unregistered trademark of ReD_eYe uninteractive, no rights reserved.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 22:53
Quote: "exeat> i dont reember saying that"

It was close enough.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 23:09
I've only played games 1 and 2. I'm playing Scorched (Tanks) in my ppc, and it's kinda fun, to an extent. I have an idea to make it 3D though...

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 00:38
@red eye: looks very cool, is the landscape destructable?

I think that im going to make an fps, the OW thingy. Who else hase chosen OW?

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
going for snakes .... cause i got a tip top game redesign idea which will make it very different ... shhhhhh
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 01:01
should be interesting, wonder how many people are just 'recreating' the games...

Personally (although DarkGirl is telling me i can't think about anything else til our project is finished) I've got some sweet idea's for Type 3. I think that's the one i'm going to go for too, had an interesting thought for it

My brother is going after Type 1, though unlike me (i wanna go more for a remake with nifty features and graphics), he's taking the novel approach... from what I understand of it, half of it is still true to snake and the other half is more about the general theme.

Thank god longevity isn't part of the scoring system cause I don't think either of us are thinking of more than 6 levels total.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 01:22
@Jopie dopie- yup, its fully destructable. I suppose if i really work on it now i could stick up a demo to download... but can i be bothered? We shall see...

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 03:51 Edited at: 31st Jul 2004 03:58
Quote: "preston- how come you dont come on #darkbasic no more? we're missing you. sorry about our fall-out but my hate for you went long ago. i wont bitch at u no more i promise"

A) Wrong place to post this, should have just emailed me about it or something, could have gotten my email from someone in IRC, someone should have known.
B) I pretty much still have a good hate for all of the people in there, especially one of the OPs. And I mean ALL of them.

Cheers,
Preston

[Edit] Well anyway, about the competition, I guess I could drop out of the remakes.org comp and enter this one. Operation Wolf would make a perfect entry.

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:44:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:44:23