Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Running my .exe from your/a server?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 07:54
I've been working on my chat program for a while now and it's just getting ready to be released, it's nothing speacial but it's going to work great in it's original purpose (so my friends and I can talk over my schools LAN).

During testing I've been using my computer as the host for the server, but I need a perminant host for it as 1) My computer is very slow and 2) I have limited broadband access so I can't leave it on 24/7.

The filesize is (currently) 49.0KB (this could increase slightly if I add some more functionality) and it will only ever have upto 100 clients connected to it at any one time (and as there is a maxamum string size of 1000 charcters (round that up to 1KB) there will only ever be 100KB sent at anyone time and less than 1KB received at any one time).

I would really appriciate if anyone here would host the server for me, I can (if you wish) give more deatials of the program flow/error handling/anything else you'd like to know. Its only been tested on a windows machine, so if you run a Linux server I'm not sure if the program will run (but hey if your up for it we can give it a try!).

If you can't host the server yourself could your possibbly point me to a webhost that will, I've tried contacting Wake Hosting but my emails juse bounce back.

Thanks alot,

Killswitch

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Eoin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 21:58
Is it a windows or linux app ?, most servers (including mine) are linux as it's more stable and faster the windows, and windows XP etc has limits of pc connected to it
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 00:38
I use Freeunixhost.com to host one of my sites - its good considering its free, but you get a subdomain - but i'm not sure if it would work - you could have a try.

Am I the only one here who's really confused?
Eoin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 00:41
Nope, They wouldn't give you ssh :p Not a hope
demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 00:44
i dont have much technical knowledge about this sort of stuff, but can't you just upload it to a free hosting thing like i mentioned using the file manager thing and then just run it from your site's homepage?

Am I the only one here who's really confused?
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Then you would start to download it.

-Ilya
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 01:57
Suggest you scrap the idea of running your program on a server as persuading anyone to run your homemade exe on a server is going to be difficult. I have four dedicated servers at work but my boss won't allow any dodgy stuff on them, only well-known stuff.

You are better off writing a PHP chatroom, or download one of the many free ones available, and then simply upload it to any old webspace that has PHP enabled.

Boo!
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 05:02 Edited at: 30th Jul 2004 05:06
I knew it would be hard to pursade a big company to run my exe on one of their servers, thats why I thought I'd ask here as I know a few of you have your own servers.

The trouble is I was writing this prodominatly for use at school where most chatrooms are blocked through the brough and almost all internet activty is logged, thats why its important that I can have a small .exe that can fit on a floppy disk so I don't even have to install it on my school machine. It also means that I won't have enough time to learn PHP, write a decent program and get it up and running before I start next term.

I could run it from my terminal, but I occasionally get moved so my IP address will change, so I'd have to go and tell all the people I'd like to chat to thus defeating the whole object of the chat room.

If there is someone here that would offer to run the program but is a bit worried about what the server will do I can share the source and you can complie it yourself to make sure it is that I'm actually going to run - besides if I get upto anything fowl you can hunt me down on the forums I'm here all the time!!

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 05:47
You could always purchase an Omega Server package and then write a quick front end in vb or use the chat demo we have

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:32:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:32:41