Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Larger Forum Text

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 09:39
I just upgraded my 17" to a nice 22" monitor, Lacie EBIII, enjoying it.

But the good old 'resize text' function of Internet Explorer isn't working on the forums pages here.

While the text isn't too small for me to read, I certainly could use it a size larger. Is there any means of doing this?

Fiddling with IE and Windows settings just doesn't seem to do it. The forum text size seems fixed. And I can't find a forums option for text size changes.

This is in 1920x1200 mode, which I may go above if I get a video card that can handle the higher ones at a better refresh rate. The more real estate the better.
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
if you use mozilla firefox instead of IE you can zoom in to your heart's content you could have 1 letter fill the screen, if you so desire.

that's right. DBP fanboy through and through. SEXAAAAAAY
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 12:06
I tried out your suggestion. And the 'increase text size' command that mirrors exactly IEs works, while IEs doesn't.

Stranger and stranger, but if I like how Mozilla performs normally I guess I'll be sticking with it.

Especially as DBP forums aren't the only pages with resizing problems strangely enough.

Thanks!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 12:06
Ctrl+Mousewheel!

<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 12:11
Nope, CTRL + mousewheel DOES work on some pages for me in Internet Explorer, but not on this forum, and not on some other pages with very set layouts.

Are you using Internet Explorer when you use it? Does it work for you in the DB forums?
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 13:15
Nope, it doesn't, get Firefox

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 13:42 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 13:49
Ctrl-MouseZ (Scroll Wheel) work in Internet Explorer, iBrowse, Mozilla (and derivitives), NetScape and Opera.

If it doesn't for you then that's actually a mouse problem, I use a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer and it works peachy.
This said you can always do it the manual way too:

View Text Size (Smallest, Small, Medium, Large, Largest)

[edit-]
this all not with standing, unless your an artist why the hell are you using such a ridiculous resolution?
And if you are an artist, why are you only using 1 monitor?

Personally I have 2 Monitors for my desktop, Chrisp TFT for viewing everything at 1280x1024 and heavy duty CRT for editing at 2048x1960.

nView allows me to edit things and use a Zoom on the fly.
Also the Windows XP Accessibility allows me to edit Font sizes as if i had bad eyesight.

But seriously, use a REASONABLY resolution for viewing std text; else your going to be wearing glasses faster than you say William Gates

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 13:56
Shutup Raven.

It doesn't depend on the mouse you friggin tard. Maybe you should read the thread. You don't have the foggiest of what you're talking about.

It works in Firefox, but not in IE. But works in IE on other pages than the forums.
Does that sound like MOUSE issue to you?? MORON?

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 14:04 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 14:09
Mouse scroll works fine for me using IE.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 14:18
Quote: "It works in Firefox, but not in IE. But works in IE on other pages than the forums.
Does that sound like MOUSE issue to you?? MORON?"

Considering I use IE as my primary browser on my x86 Machine and on my Macintosh... niether of them have a problem using the ctrl-scrollwheel solution, then yes. It sound EXACTLY like the problem my brother has on his system with his crappy no-name brand mouse.

Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 15:54
As I said earlier

Quote: "the good old 'resize text' function of Internet Explorer isn't working on the forums pages here"

The resolution works just fine. In fact I would go one higher if I didn't prefer higher refresh rates, LaCie's Electron Blue III does 2056x1536 @80hz, and it does it -beautifully-. When you can get that res at 90hz+ in a monitor, I will be sighing happily.

I just like high refresh rates because I can see them easily.

I got a monitor like that because I wanted to use it instead of my 19" TV, wanted a flat screen and no glare instead of an 8 year old 17" monitor, and wanted more space to program in. I've been having terrible eye strain.

It was cheaper than a standard TV, second it has a better quality, and third, as I said it was cheap. Very cheap. Used but good as new.

Because everybody uses LCDs nowadays. Mammoth CRTs are cheap. Go get one if you want one.

It's got a better rez than an HDTV you know. It's the poor person's answer to that.

I may or may not use the 17" as a secondary monitor. It would help in programming as well as game design organization. And what else are people here for?

I've tried on the laptop and 'text size' in Internet Explorer there too doesn't work on DB forums (and a few other sites).

I'm thinking thus it's an issue with Internet Explorer and how it handles when to resize text. Since more than one person has this problem.

Mozilla so far seems pretty good! (Though I don't like that google bar up there.)

The fact that it lets me organize my favorites by moving folders around in the listing (which IE doesn't seem to let you do) may sell me on it, since I have a ton of favorites that I really would like to have orgnized.

Thanks again for that recommend DrakeX.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 17:53
I think this forum uses fixed size text, and changing the text size in my experience only effects the "last modified" date.

Anyone else find that text is larger when you're logged out?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 18:12
David T is correct. Because this site uses style sheets (CSS) and the fonts are specified as a set pixel height, then you can't alter the looks.

Boo!
Eoin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 18:18
Well you can specify your own style sheet in IE
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 18:19
Quote: "David T is correct. Because this site uses style sheets (CSS) and the fonts are specified as a set pixel height, then you can't alter the looks."

For once!

Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 19:02
Quote: "I think this forum uses fixed size text, and changing the text size in my experience only effects the "last modified" date.

Anyone else find that text is larger when you're logged out?"

David! You're a genius! And thanks Eoin. I was able to find the setting finally because of that, in 'accessibility' you can turn of the fixed font sizes CSS creates.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 04:25
Internet Explorer cannot "page zoom" the way Opera and Firefox can, it can only adjust fonts - except when they are set to a fixed pixel height (like we do here) - because IE is a turd basically.

It's my little way of forcing people to use a better browser

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 04:30
Just use Firefox... Everything works completly error free. I havent had a single pop-up since getting it, and my old mouse issues with IE are now fixed with FireFox... Gotta love FireFox...

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 04:52
Quote: "I havent had a single pop-up since getting it, and my old mouse issues with IE are now fixed with FireFox... Gotta love FireFox...
"

And you wont when you install XP SP2 either...

I came, I saw and I forgot all about it... or something...
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 05:16
Quote: " IE is a turd basically"

But I have to say it does the job for me, and has a great interface to boot. I don't want fancy controls, auto search bars, tabs etc. Just a nice clean interface which does the job

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 05:41
I've got no use for Firefox - IE is a very nice browser.

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
i personally don't see what's so different about firefox and IE either. i only started using it because dad said it was more secure. i dunno. i have it set up to function just like IE did and it was a seamless transition when i started using it. i mean hell i just used the google toolbar in IE, that got rid of all the popups and had integrated search just like firefox has.

that's right. DBP fanboy through and through. SEXAAAAAAY
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 06:20
Quote: "IE is a very nice browser."

Amen to that I don't really like a browser that tries to do everything. IE seems to fit in. Neat interface, doesn't have too many shiny edges and flyout menus, it doesn't try to do too many things at once.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 08:02
IE is a walking security hole in your PC.

Besides, Firefox is infinitely superior and it DOESN'T have all the extra baggage of the likes of Mozilla and (dare I say it) Opera. It's just the FASTEST browser out there. It will render a page much quicker than IE, the tab browsing is invaluable (and means 10 sites don't = 10 IE windows open all over the place), the security much better and the download manager is great too.

It's also a web developers dream, the utterly fantastic JavaScript debugger and DOM controls, plus the ease with which you can create additional toolbar controls. Oh and it can render CSS much better than IE at present.

Just a few reasons why it pisses all over IE from a great height. I used to use IE for years, I hated Netscape (still do) and Opera never appealed, but finally they got it right with Firefox - it's just browser, no extra fancy crap, and the fastest browser to boot.

Simple really.

- Oscar Wilde
Rknight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 10:10
Hmm. Yes, I see what you mean about the page zoom thing. When you turn off IE's fixed fonts in CSS, it's not the same as a page zoom in the other browsers.

Turning off fixed fonts will let you adjust one page to your liking but all the other CSS pages will have to be individually adjusted as well back and forth whenever you change from one to the other. And some will be still out of whack.

Just using a page zoom in Mozilla or whatnot seems to be a solution that requires you to fiddle with zooms far less often.

I don't happen to be one of those partisans who're anti-IE or pro-Mozilla or anything. So far just using Mozilla a day or so it does seem generally superior in that regard. And a popup blocker -should- be standard in a browser.

However, Mozilla's cookie handling leaves a little to be desired. On IE, I've turned off cookies except if I expressly allow it on a page -- in other words, if there's a 'no cookie' stop sign at the status bar and the page is broken, only then will I double click that and allow them.

In Mozilla as far as I can tell it's clunkier to do so and I have to actually type/copy paste in the web page's address each time I want to allow an individual website. Something which I'd rather not waste time doing.

And Mozilla doesn't even notify you it's blocked a cookie attempt.

Dealing with cookies as I'm dealing with them is the only way you can live with them and at the same time have the tightest security vs. spyware.

So it's a trade off still for me to use either browser, disadvantages and advantages both ways.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 17:16
Quote: "It's just the FASTEST browser out there"

I wouldn't say that myself...

Quote: "IE is a walking security hole in your PC."

A lot better with XP SP2 though...

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 17:30
I'm a FireFox Fanboy

We should get Redeye to do a nice flasy fanboy sig for us Firefox users.

Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 00:27
you should, but he won't... i just asked him

DBP Fanboy is a Unregistered trademark of ReD_eYe uninteractive, no rights reserved.
http://redeye.dbspot.com/fanboy.html
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 03:24 Edited at: 31st Jul 2004 23:35
Cookies are the most mis-understood thing I've seen. So many people block them because they think they can cause problems, etc on their PC, which is quite insane really. They're nothing, they are harmless. They are not spyware. Sure some companies used them to track if you visited one of their affiliate sites, but that's about it - they can't inject code onto your PC, they can' spread viruses, they can't even go much over 1KB in size and they're plain text.

To have them blocked as standard boggles me.

- Oscar Wilde
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 03:33
Quote: "Cookies are the most understood thing I've seen. "

misunderstood?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 05:10
Well, I'm trying out Firefox for a little while to see how I get on with it ... lots of little niggly differences between it and IE, but I'll carry on for a week or so to see if I can get over it

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Android
Years of Service
User Offline
Firefox is the best browser out there by miles for features and non-bloatedness. The only reason IE is so popular is that MS have praticly built in into Windows. Even the US govermant recommends you switch from IE: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/713878
Mozilla has had a couple of security issues, but they were fixed in less than an day, and it was Windows fault anyway. On the other hand IE has a long list of problems that are still not fixed... Oh well your choice.

FreeWebs.com - bane of the internet
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 05:41
And most of them will be with XP SP2...

Android
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " And most of them will be with XP SP2..."

When it arrives!

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 06:16 Edited at: 31st Jul 2004 06:17
Next month... I suspect it will be within 15 days.

Android
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Next month... I suspect it will be within 15 days."

Good news, I hear that SP2 has been tested quite alot, haven't ms improved the firewall too?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 08:20
Yes, its a very fine thing now...

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 09:51
The ctrl+mousewheel does work in IE, but not on everypage. If you check your settings, the browser does show that text size has been increased, but the webpage has not changed.

And 1920x1200? Why would you use such an ugly resolution. I use 1600x1200, but 1920? Everything looks so distorted. I'll stick with my 4:3 ratio.

"eureka" - Archimedes
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 15:42 Edited at: 31st Jul 2004 15:43
I personally love MyIE2 (http://www.myie2.com), I love it. It's IE based so there's no compatibility issues, but it's got tabbed browsing, gestures, built in popup-blocker and supports plug-ins. It's like FireFox with the features, except it has the IE core. It's also very very small in size.

[edit]Oh yeah, SP2 is much improved. I've been using the Release Candidate of it for some time now, and personally love. Much better wireless network managing (very important for me), more control over the firewall, and the newer browser is great, with the seamless blocking of popups.[/edit]

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 17:33
And there will be no excuse for XP users not to get it - Microsoft may be putting it on CD's for magazines.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 23:39
Quote: "It's like FireFox with the features, except it has the IE core."

Which means it'll still do incorrect CSS rendering, can't handle negative values, etc etc

Firefox isn't for everyone, but most web developers I know (and I know quite a lot!) use it exclusively now for site work and then switch to IE in order to fix their CSS, etc to avoid the IE bugs. It doesn't matter how close XP SP2 is, I bet it doesn't resolve the rendering issues inherent in IE and its lack of respect for the W3C standards.

- Oscar Wilde
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2004 23:41
With so much of a market share - is it worth adhering to standards?

By adhering to standards you get a nice little w3c sticker to go on your site - but if it doesn't display correctly in IE then 90% of your users won't see the site correctly.

Just a thought.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 03:14
IE doesn't have a 90% market share.

Design for one browser and upset some of your visitors. Design for them all, please them all.

There are certain standards that are now (or soon will be) legal requirements in this country, especially regarding disability. Which is quite annoying because I have to redo the entire TGC site to adhere to them, but even so, they cannot be ignored. IE is well behind the times, hopefully Longhorn and IE7 will re-address this.

Until then they can keep on patching it as more and more security holes are found. IE has made the web as un-safe as it is today for the casual "doesn't know much better" home user, probably second only to the horror that is Outlook Express. But we shan't go there.

- Oscar Wilde
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 03:29 Edited at: 1st Aug 2004 03:30
@Rich
Quote: "There are certain standards that are now (or soon will be) legal requirements in this country, especially regarding disability. Which is quite annoying because I have to redo the entire TGC site to adhere to them,"

Ouch. Do they apply to sites based in the UK only or is it EU wide?

Play Nice! Play Basic! Check it out. Now!

nFinity Emulator. Coming soon...
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 03:48 Edited at: 1st Aug 2004 03:51
It applies to UK companies, not just where their web site is located.

Here are some very good links relating to why web standards are important. You should especially check out the first one, it's quick to read and high-lights the issues clearly regarding building for IE only.

http://www.happycog.com/lectures/dwws/
http://www.7nights.com/asterisk/archives/web_standards_roi.php
http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2003/why-web-standards/
http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000266.php
http://www.andybudd.com/archives/2004/01/the_business_case_for_web_accessibility/index.php

- Oscar Wilde
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 03:53
All this talk of standards bring to mind a very nice quote:

Quote: "The nice thing about standards is there's so many to choose from"

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 04:03
Go through the slides on the first URL I posted David, then tell me they don't matter. Not that I'm looking forward to re-doing TGC, but it has to happen.

- Oscar Wilde
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 04:04
Quote: "The nice thing about standards is there's so many to choose from"

Unless you're building a web site, in which case there are just the core set that have been in existence for ages now. Nuff said.

- Oscar Wilde
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 04:15 Edited at: 1st Aug 2004 04:15
Quote: "Go through the slides on the first URL I posted David, then tell me they don't matter. Not that I'm looking forward to re-doing TGC, but it has to happen."

I have read those slides, and yes I do get your point about standards.

I first posed the question that, since IE has a significant share of the market, could it's rules be considered standard, instead of the rules adhered to by a (relatively) few number of machines out there.
It was only a thought, and I fully accept your view. Nowhere did I state they they didn't matter, in fact after that I only posted the remark about standards, which gave me this response. Sheesh.

Quote: "Unless you're building a web site, in which case there are just the core set that have been in existence for ages now. Nuff said."

It was a joke! A light hearted remark, not in any way intended to have a go at anybody.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 04:22
Quote: " It applies to UK companies, not just where their web site is located."

Ah ok, thanks.

Quote: "I first posed the question that, since IE has a significant share of the market, could it's rules be considered standard, instead of the rules adhered to by a (relatively) few number of machines out there."

Well MS is a member of the W3C. Their products should just follow these rules and everything will be good.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Check it out. Now!

nFinity Emulator. Coming soon...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:41:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:41:26