Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Spy ware? or the likes of something similarly evil.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 15:40 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 15:48
Win XP Pro 2002 SP1. Homepage keeps resetting to http://super-spider.com/hp.htm?id=632 and there are several copies of a new program loading at startup that keep re-enabling themselves called matrixhere.exe . I ran adaware, spybot s&d, and norton antivirus pro all found nothing. I ran HijackThis and it found it and temporarily fixed it but it return after a couple of minutes. I downloaded a program (made by hijackthis guy) called cwshredder that was supposed to fix this and it didn't. Any Ideas are greatly appreciated. Maybe someday I will be able to help you with something.
Here is the hijackthis logfile if it might help.

Thank you very much.
[edit] Here is the startup list also.

Thank You.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 16:47 Edited at: 29th Jul 2004 17:00
Fixed. Had to use the info from hijackthis and go offline to manually delete the files.
[edit] Doh! forgot to mention they had to be deleted in safe mode.

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2004 22:19
If you've got spyware problems you are probably also open to viruses. Buy yourself a virus killer as well I would.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 00:21
I have Norton Professional. What would you recommend?

Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 00:24
I have a similar problem with a cookie embedded somewhere deep in my computer. Just can't get rid of the thing! Tried deleting temporary internet files, clearing history, virus scan. Nothing worked. Never figured it could be a spyware though

gl and hf
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Did this just start happening recently? If so, run system restore. That's what I did and I'm okay.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 03:26
Definitely got it several weeks ago. Grr! Why didn't I think of system restore!!??

gl and hf
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 03:34
Yes, system restore has gotten me out of 2 fatal mistakes I made... When i deleted the wrong files

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 03:50
Quote: "If you've got spyware problems you are probably also open to viruses. Buy yourself a virus killer as well I would"
Depends. I had Norton 200X for ages before I even realised you could get (or even kill) spyware. I had hundreds of the damn things.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 06:14
Get Spybot S&D at www.safer-networking.org. It has a resident monitor that blocks spyware from Internet Explorer and one that prevents them from changing your registry. Also, the biggest way to get rid of spyware is to not use Internet Explorer at all. 90% of all Spyware comes from flaws in IE and Microsoft doesn't seem to be doing anything to fix it. If you're getting spyware and you're not using IE then you should maybe get a firewall and be sure to get all updates for Windows.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 06:54
I've gone with pest patrol, and I've quite often had it go "Boink" deleting spyware cookies on this site. Hmm, just got one for something called bravenet(1). It's gotten rid of some keyloggers and home page hijackers recently, (Well I did start to use Internet Explorer again, should stick with firefox)

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 07:26
Quote: "Microsoft doesn't seem to be doing anything to fix it"

Oh yes it is - get Windows XP SP2

I came, I saw and I forgot all about it... or something...
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 10:07
didn't someone say there was a few problems with DBP and WinXP SP2?

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 10:28
They did, yes, but this was also nonsense.

Go for Spybot + Norton. If you've got both of those you've got an adequate level of protection.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:36:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:36:51