Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Steam vs. 1.5

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 01:40
Just curious to see what your thoughts are on Valve's decision to drop support for Counter-Strike 1.5 players.

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

gl and hf
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 02:26 Edited at: 30th Jul 2004 02:27
Quote: "Users can continue using Valve games on the Steam service by downloading the Steam installer and setting up a Steam account. For more information visit www.steampowered.com. Counter-Strike 1.5 players will be upgraded to Counter-Strike 1.6 free of charge through Steam."

I missed the dropping part that you mentioned. Seems more like an upgrade.
--
TAZ

The "it" is a kind of force that gives rise to technology, something undefined, but inhuman, mechanical, lifeless, a blind monster, a death force. - ZatAoMM
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 03:16
1.6 (aka Steam) has been out for quite a while, at least 6 months. I'm not a big fan of Steam because it has caused many problems with my computer. Couldn't run some programs at all. A lot of my friends have similar problems too.

The issue between 1.5 and Steam has been a long time issue in the Counter-Strike world.

gl and hf
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 06:13
Ah, that makes more sense now. I take it Valve is not moving fast enough to solve the problems and 1.6 is not up to speed.
--
TAZ

The "it" is a kind of force that gives rise to technology, something undefined, but inhuman, mechanical, lifeless, a blind monster, a death force. - ZatAoMM
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 06:17
Seems like I wont be getting HL2 then...

I came, I saw and I forgot all about it... or something...
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 10:49
Hmmm... hopefully by the time HL2 rolls (if ever), Valve will have fixed the problems. Speaking of HL2, seen any of the new videos? Traptown was amazing...

gl and hf
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 12:14
Quote: " Just curious to see what your thoughts are on Valve's decision to drop support for Counter-Strike 1.5 players"

There were previously supporting 8 different builds, quite frankly if your an online play a new update should be installed asap to fixx problems and make networks run more smoothly; as such older builds should stop being supported within a week/month of the update being released.

If you don't want to keep upto date then thats really your own fault,
it's like trying to play Quake III 1.17 (out of the box) one a 1.32 Server.
Also as Steam keeps you automatically upto date, i really don't see the big deal :-| unless i've missed something.
(that said, Counter-Strike is crap anyways)

Quote: "1.6 (aka Steam) has been out for quite a while, at least 6 months. I'm not a big fan of Steam because it has caused many problems with my computer. Couldn't run some programs at all. A lot of my friends have similar problems too."

Steam works fine on every system i've tried it on, the only downside to it is if your not on broadband it makes games kinda unplayable.
Problems have be ironed out though as far as i can, no more Disconnections that the original had.
All servers apart from homebased ones are now exclusively Steam, so if your not already using it then you don't play online; kinda simple as that.

Half-Life 2 installs with your Steam Cache in place, but can be run by bypassing it with it's exe (still uses it but won't log you in)

BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 18:58
Something I heard was that 1.5 was more compatible with something or other...myself, the only difference I notice is the look.

About Steam, though. I installed it, pumped the CD key into the thing and got all my games, but whenever I try to change the graphics settings the game refuses to run and I have to reinstall. Also, the Friends network doesn't always sign in. Steam is buggy, but I find CS1.6 to be pretty solid.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 19:21
Half life 1 and couterstrike 1.5 used to use WON, a seperate company to valve. However, Steam is a purely valve based product but Steam is so buggy* that it is hard to believe that it comes from the makers of half life.

*If Day of defeat, or any other steam game is not fully updated, it will update continually, unstoppably for long stretches of time, extended by the poor european servers. Durign this time you cannot play any other steam game.
Also they seem to have a 12Mb update (not an exagguration)to \"improve demo recording performance\" a feature that almost no-one has ever used

I'm Right and Reality is lying
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2004 23:55
Quote: "If you don't want to keep upto date then thats really your own fault,
it's like trying to play Quake III 1.17 (out of the box) one a 1.32 Server."

Half a million 1.5 users say otherwise
I wouldn't have any problem with Steam... if it worked. And I do update all my games, just not Valve products.

gl and hf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:45:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:45:19