Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Where to start?!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 05:08
Hello,
I have been putting some ideas together for a game and have almost completed a game 'design document'. However, I now need to actually produce a working game that could stand a chance in a presentation. I need some programming software like C++ a game engine and some graphics software. But I don't know where to start. basically, I need some advice for which graphics etc... packages to get, preferably something than can look impressive and professional. I also need something that will allow me to modify the game in every single way, something that will cater for all my needs. But I don't know which software packages come with this flexability. Could someone help me please?
Thanks
Josh

Adults do not inherit the Earth from their ancestors, but borrow it from their children.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 06:55
Well, is it going to be 2-D or 3-D? If 2-D, then check out Pain Shop Pro. If 3-D, then there are tons of options. Check under the 3-D forum for the sticky thread about the modellers.

As far as "Which program will make profesional results?", it is not that simple. They will all make pro results, provided that you are good enough. There is no "best 3-D moddeler" program. They will basically all do anything!

And as far as what game engines and languages to use, there are no "best" ones either. You have to know how to program, and if you are a newbie (like me ), and you want impressive results with little previous skill and time invested, you should check out DBpro. It requires litte to no previous programming experience and gives results quickly, whereas with C++, you might be working for a month or two to get a good text-based game that probably will not "wow" any one. And when it comes to game engines, sorry to say, but they are not just "drag-n-drop" and add your graphics and story. I would suggest that if you want to make your game, the way you want it to work, you need to make your own engine from scratch.

Hope this helps.

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
Tigjaw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 07:48
Thanks for your reply. The game is 3D, it needs to be if its going to be any good. Thanks for the recommendations, I'm definately a newbie coder, I'm more qualified for testing and game interface design to be honest, but this is what I really want to do so I'm going to have to work hard on it.

Adults do not inherit the Earth from their ancestors, but borrow it from their children.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 08:35 Edited at: 1st Aug 2004 08:36
Seriously, I would check out the Beginner's Guide to DarkBASIC Programming. No, I am not on their payroll, and I have no investment in it, but it is just a good book (that I just finished last weekend) that teaches beginning programming. Now, about 3-D, the book does not go into a TON of detail regarding 3-D, but you must know the logic and actual programming behind the scenes that holds your game together and actually makes it fun. 3-D is difficult, but not impossible for the lone programmer now with such languages as DB.

That is a whole other topic. You say "The game is 3D, it needs to be if its going to be any good.". I beg to differ. A games graphics don't make it fun. Granted, they do help, but it is the gameplay, not the graphics that make people continue to play it. For example, take the Capcom fighting games. "Street Fighter Alpha 2" was one of the greatest successes of the series, and it was all 2-D. When the series tried to go 3-D, which they felt was the next logical step for the series, with Street Fighter EX + Alpha, it bombed. So what did they do? They kep doing what worked, with greats such as SF:Alpha3, SF vs. X-Men, Capcom vs. SNK, and the list goes on and on. Those games are still being made today with amazing sales and demand. Just wanted to show you al the sides of the arguement.

Hope this helps!

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 23:32 Edited at: 1st Aug 2004 23:33
To discover the ease of use you will have to use the trial versions. If you want an idea how easy it can be to program in dark Basic I will point you to the Binary Moon tutorial. It is for dark basic classic and some commands have changed between classic and pro but you will get the basic concepts and how programming in 3 Dimensions works in Dark Basic.

the tutorial is here
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=t02/bm_tutorial_index

There is also a trial version of DarkBasic pro being released for the current competition that is supposed to be usable till near the end of the year.

it can be found here
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/

The link is a short way down the page.
You may have to register the trial to use it but it is based on the current version of Pro which is 5.5.

good luck on you project.

[Edit for spelling]

Wasting CPU Cycles since the 286 was a hot machine.
Tigjaw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 23:50
Wow, thanks guys. Its nice to get some recommendations from people in the know. Can the DarkBasic be used to create hack'n'slash 3rd person RPGs?

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 00:08 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2004 00:09
If you got the time you can make it happen.

The engine seems based more towards First Person Shooters if you read the forums but the language can make any type of game. The language also allows for the use of outside DLL's written in C++ and there are many free and low cost ones available to add even more power to your game.

Your biggest hurdles will be animation for the charaters.
Collision with other charaters in combat
and interesting levels.

nothing that can not be dealt with and there is always good help on the forum, and they are happy to help as long as you have shown some effort on your own and ask specific questions.

Well I just rambeled on and didn't say much.

Oh well.
Good luck and I hope you join the DarkBasic Community.

Don.

[Edit for spelling... again.]

Wasting CPU Cycles since the 286 was a hot machine.
DLS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 00:12
yes. its not easy but it can be done.

just practice with basics and then progress upto it.

i myself jumped in at the deep end but i've had coding experiance so i just managed to cope and i had help off the folk on here.

if ya get stuck just ask for some assistace. we'll help the best we can

(just upgraded) system specs: AMD XP 3000+, 512Mb DDR333, nvidia ge-force FX 5600 128MB, 1x8Gb & 1x40Gb HHD, 52x CD drive, DVD+RW 4x, Sound Blaster 128.... all in a Nokia 8310 case :0D
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 04:31
About that Darkbasic book, i wouldnt recommend getting it if youre going for 3d. It focusues on 2d with only like one chapter at the end of the book on 3d. i was looking at it at Barnes and Noble and that was my impression. Instead for 3d i would do the 3d monster hunt and the Binary Moon Limit Rush tuts.

But thats just my two cents

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 19:17:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 19:17:52