Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / help system questions - trial version DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Trying to assess DBP prior to purchase using the trial version and wondering if I am missing something.

I want to make a simple-ish 3D object. I've found the Make Object command in the help system. This tells me I need a mesh index and an image number. The usage example is missing from the trial version.

If I try to search for 'mesh' (in the find box) nothing happens, except that when I scroll the mouse wheel I get a pop-up dialogue saying 'wheel' (yes, presumably a bug).

There is no link to any info on meshes.

The only way out of this help page appears to be by clicking the back button.

In other words the help system supplied with the trial version seems to be rather poor at first sight. If anyone disagrees could they point out how I should have used the help to answer my question "how do I make a simple-ish object, knowing its coordinates?"

Thanks so much - hate to take up your time, but can't believe the help can't be made to work better than it does for me....
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 23:53
That command expects to find MESH data to build the object and that mesh will be loaded using the LOAD MESH command.

These commands expect to find an .X model to load into the mesh data and that has to be made using a program such as Gamespace Light, Wings3D, Milkshape or one of the other modeling programs available.

Quote: "I want to make a simple-ish 3D object. I've found the Make Object command in the help system. This tells me I need a mesh index and an image number."

SYNTAX
MAKE OBJECT Object Number, Mesh Index, Image Number

I believe that make object uses the mesh number used to load the mesh with the following command.
and the image number would be for the loaded texture.

Quote: "LOAD MESH
This command will load a single X file into the specified mesh number. A mesh is a wireframe description of a 3D shape. You must use a filename that points to a file that stores 3D mesh data in the X file format. The mesh number should be specified using an integer value.

SYNTAX
LOAD MESH Filename, Mesh Number
"

All that being said you wouild be better served using the LOAD OBJECT commands to load the model you created. The make object command seems to be more oriented to experienced users.

{Disclaimer}
I am not a power user and the opinions expressed are based on my limited work with the program and are not alway s correct. <sigh>

Wasting CPU Cycles since the 286 was a hot machine.
klingon
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks very much for your help.

Part of the problem is that I'm trying to see what DBP can do, and the trial version doesn't have enough information. And the help system does appear to be a dog. My worry is that the thing appears to do some very complicated things with ease, but seems to lack built in support for what I had considered essentials - eg dialogs, 2-D fill function, dotted lines... Yes, there are sometimes workarounds - but at a cost (time or money).

On the other hand these support forums are wonderfully active. Thanks again.
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 00:38
Quote: "appears to do some very complicated things with ease, but seems to lack built in support for what I had considered essentials - eg dialogs, 2-D fill function, dotted lines..."

You will get the help if you ask specific questions and show effort. It may take some time because so many users are in different time zones but the help is there and there is a forum dedicated to 2D design
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_read&i=4

Wasting CPU Cycles since the 286 was a hot machine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 18:31:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 18:31:19