Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Doom 3 "You got to watch this MOV"

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 12:19
http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/doom3/d3pcdownloadfinal.zip.html

I think HL2 and Doom3 are going to be great games!

I dont know how to spell
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 13:10
That is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 06:19
And by I mean weap at the fact that my granny of a computer will crash even if I bring the Doom 3 case anywhere near it...

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 07:05
Doom 3 got 94% in PC Gamer...not bad.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I watched the movie, and I thought it had...

Nice Human Modelling.
Nice facial Animation.
Nice Monsters.

But it didn't make me want the game. Probably the reverse..It made me think that the game looks boring.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 08:34
I have to agree with Pincho on this, the movie made the game look boring (and to top it off, I wasn't really going to buy this anyway, so this pretty much ruined any chance of actually wanting it).

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 12:07
well Preston I dont think your pc will even handel it good.

if you hade a pc that will hadel it, well I think youd like to buy it. I mean its a PC game, Ill buy any PC game.

hears my spec

(GeforceFX 5700 UT GS)(512Ram 400Mhz)(6 Channel Sound)
(P4 3.0Ghz 800MhzFSB 1mb L1,L2)

My PC when I buy just to play Doom3... at its best,
im going to get it on the 17 of AUG

(Geforce 6800 UT)(512Ram 400Mhz)(6 Channey Sound)
(P4 3.4Ghz or 3.6Ghz 1mb L1,L2 800MhzFSB)

...and Doom3, I also later will get HL2

I dont know how to spell
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 12:25
...thats why I probably wouldn't buy it, my PC would wet itself in fear even thinking of processing that behemoth...

The only small percentage of my brain that actually thought about buying it was also thinking about buying a new computer sometime around its release as well, but since I'm a jobless, allowanceless lazy coder, the chances of that are quite slim (I mean...if I could buy a computer strong enough to play Doom III for $55, I'd buy it, but what are the chances of that?).

Cheers,
Preston

Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 12:52

Im with stupid...
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 12:54
All you would need is a new CPU, you could get one of those
for like 150$, John as you know the owner of Id sayed
Doom could run on a Geforce 4, it dosent need a Hight end Card to play.

Also you would need some ram like 256mb.

I hope you get to play it thow. You might be able to play it on the
XBOX, but of course it wont look as good.

I dont know how to spell
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 13:13
Yes yes, I know, I've seen the minimum system requirements they said. And like you said, all I would need is a new CPU, my Ram and Video Card are set. Either way, upgrade or not, I still doubt I'd buy it.

But lets not continue on discussing my problems and get back on topic, k?

Cheers,
Preston

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 13:19
Doom 3 looks too... bubbly and just gory. They've tried to make it looks so real it looks fake. Like, they're slingshotting themselves around the sun to travel at lights speeds into a room with a moose.

<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 13:39
That video just makes me want to get Doom 3 even more. The gameplay looks like it's going to be amazing. Plus PC Gamer (whom I have great respect for their opinion) gave it an excellent score. It looks like it's going to be scary as hell too.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 13:49
I don't know about scary, maybe jumpy. When I imagine a "scary" first person shooter I think very slow, methodical action. Doom3 is a twitch game still despite the horror elements. It will probably end up where the first few times people jump out of their seats:

".....AAHH! Son of a W$$^*%$&$#, die #$^&!"

"......AAHH! I told you not to do that anymore, now die!"

"......Oh, another monster to suffer my wrath."

I just hope they add more besides flashlight, melee and more raw power. Otherwise I'll just go get the Doom Collector's Edition and play the classics.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 06:30
I hate seeing posts like this. Perhaps you did enjoy the movie, does it really say anything about the game!? no. 90% of the people who watched this video were going to buy the game pretty much anyway, so what did this movie do, it simply spoiled the intro for me. Another thing i hate is when people seem to enjoy writing a complete full review of games either weeks before they come out(years in this case) and then changing it a day later, one reason that i dont read reviews.

The 3d chat is coming...
In the meantime, come in the IRC. Ask me for details!!.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 08:50
Scary is System Shock 2. Tense is Doom III. Scary requires plot, backstory, atmosphere, fear so real you can taste it. Doom III is just... demonic, satanic evil monsters all over and some vaguely fake looking characters getting ripped apart. No coherent plot or story or anything but the usual FPS crap.

Shooting for Eternium Man.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 08:52
Yea, like the original, but with added tension and fries

The 3d chat is coming...
In the meantime, come in the IRC. Ask me for details!!.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 09:32
By the way, to explain my original post a bit more carefuly: The thing I find stupid about the whole demonic/satanic theme is that there's no real explination, there's no world, the game doesn't even set laws of reality for itself to follow like any good story does; it just recycles the boring old stuff already in your head that you've been playing for years already.

And I'm not saying all this because I'm a HL2 fanboy or anything, I just really honestly feel D3 is a bad game, from every movie and screenshot I've seen. The graphics aren't even its saving grace-- it wasn't cutting edge when the E3 alpha leaked out years ago, and it sure as heck isn't now! Doesn't even have soft shadows or anything...

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 15:54
The only problem with System Shock 2 (of which I am a huge fan) was that all the small little micromanagement and inventory puzzles and stuff detracted from the fear. SS2 was simply creepy, you heard zombies, zombies found you, you fought for your life. But SS2 didn't flat out scare me. I want a game where you don't want to go down a hallway for fear there's something down there. The only game that's really come close for me was Aliens vs. Predator where the enemies could come from any direction and without warning. From what I hear Doom 3 will give me my necessary dosage of real fear that I would like from a game. As for the graphics quip, lets see... the most high quality models ever used in a game so far (in realtime) as well as some excellent special effects and lighting (the way it's applied to textures is amazing). If it doesn't have soft shadows will we really care? The game's supposed to be scary! Zombies emmerging from shadows gradually, not scary, zombies emerging two steps in front of you trying to rip your head off, scary. In that case lack of soft shadows would be a defecit.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 16:22
Quote: "I hate seeing posts like this. Perhaps you did enjoy the movie, does it really say anything about the game!? "

I watched it FOR the movie and not the game though. I'm not going to buy the game because there's no chance in hell it'll run on my computer so I may as well gaze in awe at the coolness of it's graphics.

[Exeat]
Server's down, no more sig image for me. Probably for a while too. =(
"Computers are useless they can only give you answers." [/center]
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 16:42
didn't watch the movie - didn't have to. I have played the game and it does feel like doom. Gameplay back from the last millenia..

| Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue. |
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 01:20 Edited at: 5th Aug 2004 01:21
Quote: "the most high quality models ever used in a game so far (in realtime"

I'm afraid not. They're very low polygon. They look high detail because of the bump maps, but that doesn't really save them; they still look chunky in the screenshots. And close up you can see the blurring in the textures. HL2 and Unreal3 look far better in the 3d models department, and Far Cry is already a cut ahead of Doom III (with scape of enviornment as well as close up graphics). Thief III also looks just as good (and it has soft shadows and better bump mapping).

Quote: " as well as some excellent special effects and lighting (the way it's applied to textures is amazing). If it doesn't have soft shadows will we really care?"

I care, 'cuz frankly the lightning looks like crap-- it's either near-pitch-black or 'normally lit'; IMO, the blocky 'hard shadows' look even faker than classic lightning without shadows. And there's nothing special about the lightning and texturing; bump mapping like that has been around for a long time. Thief III does bump mapping way better.

Quote: "The game's supposed to be scary! Zombies emmerging from shadows gradually, not scary, zombies emerging two steps in front of you trying to rip your head off, scary. In that case lack of soft shadows would be a defecit."

Hardly. Realism is fear. Soft shadows has nothing to do with whether things can jump out at you quickly or not. System Shock 2 didn't need any shadows to be scary, and neither did AVP2, but if you're gonna use them for the fear element, they could at least look good (Deus Ex 2 / Thief III, and the upcoming HL2).

Not that this would make it a bad game of course, but I've seen nothing to redeem it personally .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:22:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:22:42