Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Answers to Common Questions - The Full Version

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2004 17:51 Edited at: 5th Aug 2004 06:54
1. Yes, you could probably write a game like Quake 3, UT 2004 or <insert latest game here>. It would probably take years and would require a large team of 3D artist, 2D artist, musicians, programmers, level designers and game testers, but it is possible.

2. No, you cant run DBPro executables (or any PC executable come to that) on a XBox,PS2,PS1,Gamecube or C64. Whilst you may be able to get DBPro running on Linux through emulation, reports suggest only parts of it will work correctly.

3. There will be no Mac or Linux version of DBPro.

4. Yes, there are a few girls on this forum but the more you ask about them the more likely they are going to be scared off.

5. Software piracy is theft regardless of where you got it or what you use it for or even if it is just sitting on your hard drive. There are many free or economical 2D, 3D, and audio programs out there. You do not have to steal to create your own quality games. Check out the sticky post in the appropriate thread. If you do not see an answer to your problem, simply ask nicely.

6. The SEARCH button reads through the titles of messages. If you do not put meaningful information in your titles, you're wasting people's time and reducing the effectiveness of the search function. The most lame message titles are usually "I'm a newb" or "HELP ME PLEZ". Leet speak and bad English also reduces the ability of the search function.

7. Why does no-one answer my posts?

There are several reasons for this.
Most common problems are the use of poor english, poorly spelt english, or other text forms ( suchas Leet (1337) or Text Speak (Txt Spk) )...

I pr0b wif arrayz. htey n0 w0rkz.

Gives far too little information and is a pain in the ass to read.

I don't understand how Arrays work, could someone help explain them to me?

Is more likely to gain a response.
Politeness is also a key issue you need to follow.

I don't understand Arrays. Someone give me code for making one to hold a pack of cards!

is less likely to get a response (or atleast a pleasent one), as.

Arrays confuse me. Could someone help explain how to make a deck of cards using one?

Everything about help really stems from how your present yourself, and drawing those in who might be able to help you.

Remember that the 1st rule here is, Dark Basic / Professional is a Programming Language, not a free ticket to get someone else to make your games. Second thing to remember is that, we are all here and helping others in our free time. To alot of us this is a Hobby not a Job, we are not paid to help you and as such we have no obligation to do so or even be nice.

Remember a post like:
Title: Arrays, how do they work?
Post: I've recently bought Dark Basic Professional and gone through the help, but Arrays still confuse me. They seem to be used in alot of examples and so I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how they work. A small example would also help.

As opposes to a post like this:
Title: n00b needz hepl!!
Post: arrayz m4k3 n0 senz t0 m3!! s0m30n3 gimm3 da cod3 t0 m4ke d3m w0rkz!!

Non-English people, please make sure that if you do use a translator; also please re-post your post in your native language as well.
The majority of the forum is English (thus why you should try to ask in english) but a number of members are also from all over and/or are multi-lingual. So try to bare that in mind.

8. There's no such thing as the "best" software. It's only as good as you make it to be. (Example, wings3d a freeware modeling program can make any polygonal model that Maya can make.)

9. Read every sticky(At the very top of each board) before posting you'll even have more questions anwsered in less time.

10. ATI vs. Nvidia | Blitz vs DB | D3D vs. OGL | VB vs. Delphi |
These arguments won't be tolerated. See 9 above.

Have their been commercial games made in DB/DBP?

Yes there have, and too many to name really. Some examples though are 3D Mahjong, The Magic Land, Tito, and StarWraith.

11. Can I make commercial games in DBP/DBC?

Yes you can. Whether they'll be successful in these days markets is up to you, yet it's definitly possible.

12. Where can I find a C++ compiler? For free?

For a free one see http://www.bloodshed.net/.

13. Can I start a new Doom3 or Half-Life 2 topic?

No! Find something better to do with your time for crying out loud!
Play the originals or something... geez.

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 00:47
GIMME DA CODEZ!!!!

Great job TGC

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline