Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Terrain height maps

Author
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 02:49
Back on terain heightmaps and its me again!!!!

I am still confused as the corelation between the black and white map and the textured one. Obviously i understand that the texture is the one used to texture the whole map - but what confuses me is this.

Looking at the example with the terrain expansion pack. The actual terrain does not look the same as the black and white map - and on the map there is even a road cut into it as shows up on the example program ith the expansion pack but it is not drawn on the texture

If the MAP creates all the peaks - if the terrain texture is mapped differently - how does that work/

In my mind the texture should surely show the exact same detail as the black and white MAP - but obviously with a texture?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 05:03
There's 3 images for the terrain:
1) heightmap to set the shape of the terrain
2) texture to texture the terrain object of course
3) colormap which colors the various areas, such as grass on the hills or dirt on the road paths.

"eureka" - Archimedes
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 00:13
Quote: "2) texture to texture the terrain object of course"

what does this one do exactly? I've set 2) and 3) to be the same - it works, but it's probably wrong and probably having a hit on performance.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 08:35
2) is the actual texture of the ground. This would the image you'd normally use to cover a matrix with "prepare matrix texture".

"eureka" - Archimedes

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 19:32:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 19:32:09