Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Can DBpro do Limit Rush by Binary moon?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 04:32
I've been trying to do the Monster Hunt 3-D tutorial lately (as some of you know), but I believe I am running into too many problems to keep bugging everyone on here with. Perhaps it is due to trying to use DBpro for a DBC tut. Well, I did not really find the DBpro tuts on here that incredibly helpful, as I do really like the format of the MH 3-D tut. The way it introduces a new element, completely explains it, and then builds on it. I wish that DBpro had some of these kinds of Tuts in the same format.

Well anyway, I was wanting to try the Limit Rush by Binary Moon tut on DBC, but use DBpro. I like the lay-out of it, and I think it would really help me. What I am worried about is if I will run into all kinds of problems due to using DBpro instead of DBC. Does anybody out there think I will?

Also, if anyone knows of some tutorials geared towards begining 3-D programming that have this same kind of layout as Binary Moon and MH 3-D, please let me know, as that would really help me out a lot! Thanks in advance!

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 06:22 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2004 09:22
Oh sorry, here is the link to the tut:
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=t02/bm_tutorial_index. Any help would be very appreciated!

EDIT: I am at work right now, but aftr I go home after 12mid EST, I will download the source code of the tutorial and post it as well. Thanks!

EDIT2: OK, maybe I need to reword it. How different is DBC vs. DBpro, because I wanted to do the tutorial to the above link! Thanks in advance!

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 13:12
My understanding is that the code would have to have many changes to run. I feel that the basics covered in the tutorial are well worth reading even if you can't run it.

The code was rewritten at one time for an earlier version of DBP but I don't know if anybody has one from a more recent time frame.

I hope someone can positivly respond for you.

Wasting CPU Cycles since the 286 was a hot machine.
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 13:34
Yeh i agree with DBboy, in fact that tutorial doesnt compile with DBP but if you actually go thru the whole tutorial instead of just running the end result you'll probably figure out what commands dont work with DBP and how to fix it (assuming your're not dumb jk)

Hope that helped... I'd say just do the tutorial even if you cant run it
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 13:50
Thanks for the advice, and going on what Indie Homie said, maybe I am dumb. I am just starting, and if I do the tutorial intended for DBC, I really do not know the major differences between DBC and DBpro, so it is kind of hard for me take what was written for DBC and then figure out how it will work in DBpro, as I have only had DBpro for a week. Thanks for the help!

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 16:05
Naw I was just kidding you're not dumb. Well I probably can't figure out the differences in the first place. Anyways what I meant was that, only look at the commands that arent working or are annoying the compiler (meaning you get a runtime error or that RED stripe through the line). I didn't mean go through every single line of code and check whether its in the DB Pro index .

By the way, how old are you? Just curious... I might have some advice for you...
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 20:42 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2004 20:43
here is the starting point

Quote: "Migrating From Dark Basic V1

For those users who are moving their project over to Dark Basic Professional, or have upgraded and want to get up and running as quickly as possible, the following tips may help your transition.

Command Line Interface

The CLI is now part of the Debugger and can be located by clicking the Debug Mode Button in the main editor. You will find many of the reasons for having a CLI have been replaced with more powerful Variable Watcher and Program Watcher tools.

Desktop Full screen Standard

The default running mode for all Dark Basic Professional programs is FULLSCREEN DESKTOP. This means the application runs in windows mode stretched to the size of the desktop. This is a preferred method of rendering with modern hardware and WindowsXP. Your framerates are faster and you have full cross-application ability throughout the execution of your program. You still have the option for full screen exclusive mode, as well as hidden mode, standard window mode and a special fullscreen desktop mode which retains the taskbar in case you are writing a tool rather than an a game which ideally plays into the entire screen. Be aware some older cards incur a performance penalty when running in full screen desktop mode.

Obsolete Commands

Approximately thirty commands have been discontinued from the language. There are various reasons for this, mainly to ensure that the language takes advantage of the best methods of achieving the results you desire. A detailed list follows.

Four BASIC3D commands have been removed, found to be redundant in the latest implementation of the language:

3DS2X
ENABLE TNL
DISABLE TNL
SET MIPMAP MODE

Five BASIC3D animation commands have been removed, to make way for future enhancements providing much better support for all types of 3D object animation:

APPEND OBJECT ANIMATION
CLEAR ALL OBJECT KEYFRAMES
CLEAR OBJECT KEYFRAME
SAVE OBJECT ANIMATION
SET OBJECT KEYFRAME

Eleven BASIC3D static object commands have been removed, to shift support to the new built-in BSP and Nodetree engines for world construction:

LOAD STATIC OBJECTS
MAKE STATIC OBJECT
DELETE STATIC OBJECTS
SAVE STATIC OBJECTS
ATTACH OBJECT TO STATIC
DETACH OBJECT FROM STATIC
DISABLE STATIC OCCLUSION
ENABLE STATIC OCCLUSION
SET STATIC OBJECTS TEXTURE
SET STATIC OBJECTS WIREFRAME OFF
SET STATIC OBJECTS WIREFRAME ON

One BITMAP command has been removed, to make way for future enhancements providing much better support for all types of media exporting:

SAVE BITMAP

Three DISPLAY commands have been removed, due to redundancy:

EMULATION MODE
SET EMULATION OFF
SET EMULATION ON

Two IMAGE commands have been removed, due to redundancy:

ROTATE IMAGE
SAVE IMAGE

Two MULTIPLAYER commands have been removed, due to redundancy:

ALWAYS ACTIVE OFF
ALWAYS ACTIVE ON

One SOUND command has been removed, to make way for future enhancements providing much more control over Environmental Audio Effects using the very latest technology:

SET EAX
"

This is from the DarkBasic Install in the HELP folder.

from there it is just a matter of correcting errors in the editor.
I might give it a try but have to go to work. Bummer.

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 02:01
Thank you, that helped a lot. Guess it is just my coding then

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 11:59
It is probably not as much help as we need but it is a starting point.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 19:19:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 19:19:48