Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Should I go back a step to go forward?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 11:58
(please not that this may at first seem like a double post. It is not, as this post asks a different type of question then the post in Newcomers forum )

OK, I have been trying to do the DB tutorials (Monster Hunt and Binary Moon'Limit Rush). I keep running into problems wuth them as I am using DBpro. Before the Newcomers forum grows incredibly tired of me, I was thinking about going back to my DBC trial version to actually finish the DB tuts.

The question is, would it help me to figure out 3-D programming for DBpro by doing these tutorials in DBC trial and then going back to my beloved DBpro? Or, are they so different that it would be a waste of time?

I plan on programming in DBpro, but the tutorials I want to do are for DBC . Just wanted some feedback on if this step backward would be a help for the jump forward back to DBpro! Thanks!

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 13:56
I normally use DBC and picked up the Pro trial for the compo, and I found that it wasn't terribly different for the simple stuff. You could try the DBC demo, learn that, then convert what you know to Pro...but I would recommend either finding different tutorials or just researching the commands and reading other more specific tutorials to make up for the differences in the tutorial vs DBPro.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 14:14
Sir Spaghetti Code, perhaps you'd like to take a look at my tutorials. They were all compiled successfully under DBP U5 and should work perfectly under any DBP build patch 4 and up.

While I have no tutorials for complete games, there are many tutorials that can easily be pieced together to make a game or even an application.

Here is a full list of tutorials:
http://curvedbasic.dbspot.com/DBTutorial.htm

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2004 21:01
If you are learning general programming techniques, then yes, you will benefit from doing the tuts in DB Classic. You could consider transposing these skills into DB Pro, which isn't that different from a coding syntax perspective, as the last chapter in your tutorial.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 09:24
Thanks! It was actually a coding problem. Sorry to bother you guys, as someone in another thread pointed ou the differences with DBC vs. DBpro, and that was not the issue.

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 08:51:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 08:51:23