Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Just installed Win2000 Pro.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 04:54
What a difference!

Haven't crashed once - Win98 was just too unstable so I had to reinstall. Everythings nice and quick, and DBPro seems to love it.

I have a severe loathing for XP.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 05:14 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2004 05:15
ummm! are you taking your medication?, maybe you forgot this mornings , I was leery of XP but it is actualy very stable as long as you patch it up to date, I STILL like 98 for the simple fact that I can modify my system without having to verify to MS that I ain`t a theif every 5 alterations, although I think they have this round their necks with XP since I have never had any Major alteration denied validation, I think they just set the server to
"allow all" or something ROFL, just imagine if only 5 percent of people make in depth changes five time a year to their systems, they would be buried in people wanting their copies validating by phone, I think basicaly the validation never worked, I hear they give repeat applicants a commercial licence code (needs no online validation)

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 05:22
VanB, welcome to 2K-PRO. Best MS OS so far IMHO

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 06:35
Yes. 2K is a fine OS. Amazing to think it's now 4 years old

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 06:43
and I will continue running it until Longhorn or whatever is ready, which I am in no rush for.

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 16:39
Microsoft promises that Longhorn will change Windows the way that Windows 95 changed the Windows world from v3.1. I just wonder how much is going to change, what will stay the same, and how much of my stuff will work without a hassle .

Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 17:40
Have you seen the fully DX GUI? You can pick up a window and move it around... but there's cloth physics applied to the window so while you're dragging it around it's fluttering in the wind!

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2004 22:38
One of the professors at my college is one of the beta testers for Longhorn and he says it's just a shinier XP with different utilities. While that'd be all fine and dandy it has SEVERE performance problems due to having .Net embedded inside it. He's gone back to Win98 and Linux since and from what I've read online it seems that's most of the testers are saying the same thing, slow but pretty and not worth the upgrade.

But Van-B why do you hate Windows XP? It's the stablest OS MS has ever released, it's the most backwards compatible (you can get Windows 1-2 applications to run on it as well as pretty much any DOS application), and it's the best looking but has the option to go back to the old look if you want it. It's only downside is the security flaws. While Windows 2000 is very good many games don't run on it. I remember a good portion of the Need For Speed series failed to install and run on it as well as a few notable FPSes (can't remeber which ones though probably Quake and HL). Don't get me wrong Win2K is one of MS's best if given the choice between XP and 2K I'd take XP.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 02:20
Nah, I've had more headaches with XP than any other OS, and that's with PC's with XP, and erm Office 2000 - whoah!, major system drain!.

Yesterday, I ran DBPro, PSP, then BF-Vietnam, then DBPro, then Rhino3D, then Call of Duty - all without crashing or rebooting once - frankly Win98 could never do that, and I doubt XP could either.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 02:46
Quote: "Yesterday, I ran DBPro, PSP, then BF-Vietnam, then DBPro, then Rhino3D, then Call of Duty - all without crashing or rebooting once - frankly Win98 could never do that, and I doubt XP could either.
"

Oh c'mon, I use XP, and I can run DBPro, Gimp (and edit 20 different files for about two, three hours), then play UT2K4 for a good hour or two, then go into Wings3D, toy around with a bunch of models, then go play more UT2k4 and Diablo II, and it wouldn't crash.

The only thing that has crashed my Windows XP recently would have to be running the DBPro bubble shader in Effect Edit, and then it will run perfectly in DBPro and FX Composer without crashing (which I still can't make heads or tails out of ).

Now, we'll fix your severe loathing for XP, won't we Mr. Baseball bat, mwuhahaha, Mwuhahaha, MWUHAHAHA, MWUHAHAHA

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 02:47
Quote: " frankly Win98 could never do that, and I doubt XP could either."

Yes it could but the speed diference between playing Call of Duty strate away and restarting win xp first is incredible.

Jam on mother f**ker.
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 04:17
I just can`t figure how people have all these problems with different OS`s, all I ever do is install, patch to the max, update every taskbar prog to the max, and run current and patched software, Van says

Quote: " Yesterday, I ran DBPro, PSP, then BF-Vietnam, then DBPro, then Rhino3D, then Call of Duty - all without crashing or rebooting once"

well? all I can say is at weekends I have run

Halflife, UT, Farcry, Quake II, Unreal II, Homeworld, RTCW, VB.net, C++.net, both versions of Darkbasic (classic and pro), IE explorer, Autoroute, Amiga Emulator, numerous apps, DB test programs, played music and watched a DVD, no reboot required or expected under XP.

when I ran 98 as the main OS I would expect a reboot to be required sometimes but all this drama over issues and constant instability seems to pass me by (thankfully), mind you, I don`t multitask much or often, a habit I picked up in my 8 bit days, back then you couldn`t multitask (and I don`t like doing several things at once, it destroys the thread of concentration and you do non of them well), just my two bobs worth, we used to have a realy good independant computer shop, a small place where all the savvy people took their PC`s, and the guy there used to say that windows WAS stable enough, nearly every issue was down to either configuration ,not patching or some background task that was badly coded/unstable, and as far as I can tell he was right, any bugs I ever got under 98 where due to either bad software or configuration issues with devices or their drivers, just rarely did 98 "go off on one" and just a little research could fix that quick enough.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 04:35
Quote: "Now, we'll fix your severe loathing for XP"

LOL! - you might as well fix my loathing for Hugh Grant, British Telecom, Pop culture and WinME while your there .

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 06:06
Van B, welcome to the club. I have Win 2K, and I'm sticking with it. I have to use XP at work, so I've changed all the settings to be as Win 2K-like as possible.

As for XP booting up - my work laptop takes 6 to 8 minutes at the moment. Win 2K takes about 90 seconds, which is manageable.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 06:30
Quote: "slow but pretty and not worth the upgrade"

There is over a year to go, dont forget...

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 08:39
Quote: "
Yesterday, I ran DBPro, PSP, then BF-Vietnam, then DBPro, then Rhino3D, then Call of Duty - all without crashing or rebooting once - frankly Win98 could never do that, and I doubt XP could either.
"

I used to run a Shogo: MAD server and a UT2004 server all the time until my connection got downgraded from T1 to Cable and would use it still for Word, DBPro, games, etc. and there would be no slowdown on the servers or any of my applications. I kept these servers up for months at a time only restarting for power outages and the occasional use of my FreeDOS partition on a system with normal WinXP Pro and was still able to run all my programs with no problem. I only stopped because I lost my T1 lines from moving. While Win2K is an excellent OS I've had better performance and stability from XP.
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
van - i hope you know XP is win2k with a different interface (which can be reverted to classical view!). it's just as stable.

point of advice - 2k is not the best gaming / graphical OS. i got a huge performance boost when i switched to XP.

that's right. DBP fanboy through and through. SEXAAAAAAY
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 15:57 Edited at: 4th Aug 2004 16:00
Congrats Van. I remember the first time I installed win2k. My friend got a beta copy from work just before the release date. I noticed such a difference immediately. I'll be using 2kpro even after Longhorn comes out.

Quote: "Have you seen the fully DX GUI? You can pick up a window and move it around... but there's cloth physics applied to the window so while you're dragging it around it's fluttering in the wind!"

Sweet! Where do I get that at?

"eureka" - Archimedes
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 02:19
DrakeX,
The problem I have with XP (besides being a hackers plaything) is the trouble it causes when it decides to crash. I've dealt with umpteen cases of XP destroying itself and taking user files with it - The only PC at work that I've had no trouble with at all is the one running Win2kPro, that's enough evidence for me.

I don't really have any complaints about the games I've tried, Call of Duty is running at max detail and very smoothly - on 98se it was playable at the lowest settings.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 07:49
Hehe, yeah, Infamy at last - Can't remember what I did to piss him off!. Awesome demo though, he must be really 1337 or whatever the youngsters are saying these days.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 08:13
Quote: "i hope you know XP is win2k with a different interface"

I thought Win XP had a completely new hardware interface, the cause of so much grief when it first came out. Hardware vendors had to furiously create new drivers to get back on track with XP.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:41:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:41:50