Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / My first thread - with some interesting questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 02:49
Hi all,
Pleasure to be onboard. I own DarkBasic & DarkBasic Professional, but will only use the Professional edition.

a few questions:

1) Rumour has it that DarkBasic compiled software has major compatibility issues with Intel processors in general? Is this a fact or not true?

2) For all commands, how do to perform testing? I mean, if you load in a file, how do you determine if it was loaded successfully? How do you test if a resolution is at all possible before opening a display?

3) Diagnostics code. Any recommended DarkBasic code that gives you date, current time, examine what CPU you have installed, supported resolutions etc etc?

more will be added

Hansie
------
hans@unitedcoders.dk - www.unitedcoders.dk
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 02:55
1) Its the biggest false rumor I've ever heard about Dark Basic. I'm using an Intel Processor, and my entire family (three computers in our house) all use Intels. All of my friends use Intels (except one, who uses AMD) and all of my school computers use Intels. They run DBP and DB games perfectly.

2) There are commands such as Image Exists() or Object Exists() or Sound Exists(), and you can check what display modes are supported through the Perform Checklist for Display Modes (or something like that).

3) Theres Get Date, Get Time, etc. For the CPU thing, not sure of, but the only thing you'd need to tell with a CPU is processor speed, you wouldn't really need to know which one it is.

If you have any more questions like this, may I suggest looking at the help files first? They do list all of the commands and what they do, and might be quicker than posting on the forum and waiting for a reply.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
AsriCE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 03:18
Hello. Firstly, I'd like to say welcome to the TGC Community Forum and we appreciate that you have picked DarkBASIC as your choice of game programming language

About your queations:
1) I believe that this rumour is false. I myself have been using DB with Intel Processor since the days of Pentium 3 and have no experience of such situation.

2) DBP has lots of expressive functions that does checking such as you mentioned. A few examples:
- "File Open(File Number)" - Returns a value of 1 if it the file is open.
- "Check Display Mode(Width, Height, Depth)" - Returns a 1 if the resolution input is available for your current display card.
- "Object Exists(Object Number)" - Returns a 1 if the specified 3D object exists in memory.

3)- "Get Date$()" - This command will return the current clock date as a formatted string.
- "Get Time$()" - This command will return the current clock date as a formatted string.

If you notice, every command that has brackets "()" in it returns a value. The commands would not work if you did not assign a variable to it.

AsriCE Crew,
- Adi

There's only one hope.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 22:06
Quote: "Rumour has it that DarkBasic compiled software has major compatibility issues with Intel processors in general?"

This would be suggesting that Intel Processors don't like C++. At a lower level, Dark Basic is C++ code.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2004 23:22
There are certainly no processor specific compatability problems. It isn't too great with old hardware though.
Anything below the reccomended spec and there is a chance you will have problems.

Error handling isn't very good. Generally errors are not recoverable. You get a message box with a brief description of the problem then the program exits. Occasionally it will even just exit with no message which can make debugging a real pain.

it's cool to hate
Hansie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 06:29
Thank you all for quick replies and support

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:27:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:27:15