Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] For those who frequent my irc room

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 06:05
Im thinking of opening an alternative irc channel.

The 3d chat is coming...
In the meantime, come in the IRC. Ask me for details!!.
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 06:15
Lol I imagined that would happen sooner or later

your decision mnem*

Jonny

Supermonkey - The crime gifhting sex god monkey!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 06:46
Would it have a different focus? How would you change things? It seems kind of unneccessary seeing as Jimmy's doing a good job keeping #darkbasic going, and DarkUtopia is in the works anyways.

In retrospect there're rarely any shades of grey.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 07:03
thats DarkTOPIA, but thanks

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 07:08
He wants a channel that he is in charge of. *points at question #1*

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 07:42
What can I say... good point.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 07:51
I like the room how it is now..everyone seems so much nicer

Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 08:11
I like both rooms, depends what mood I'm in really, currently the atmosphere in both rooms is very different, but I do like them both so no complaints here.

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 08:18
Mnem, if you open another IRC channel, I will drop all respect I've had for you. It's been what, 3 days now? What's the big deal? You were foolish enough to drop your ownership of the place. Jimmy is actually doing a good job, would you please give him a chance? Crimety!

Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 08:24 Edited at: 6th Aug 2004 08:25
quiet zero... Mnemy's doing a fine job in the new channel...having reasonable conversations again finally..

i like how you come in and the new room is in uproar..

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 08:34
I have to agree with Zero. It's pretty immature-- not to MENTION disrespectful-- to give the ownership of a channel to someone, and the moment they start getting it organized and it turns out they're doing a good job turn around and make your own again. For no good reason at all.

The new #darkbasic is much more relaxed, friendly, and peaceful. No nasty arguments or any of that stuff. And the ops are all doing their jobs magnificently (no, I'm not one).

Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 08:40
I agree Zero coming in was hardly the way to go about things. I think this is all a bit stupid to be getting all worked up about, so what there are two rooms, its better that way in my opinion, keeps nearly everybody happy.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 08:49 Edited at: 6th Aug 2004 08:50
Perhaps it does, but it also creates another rift in the community. On the other hand I suppose it was there already, just not as evident...

I'm sure someone could make a good ApolloLife comic about one room having Raven in it, but I won't comment myself ...

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 08:53
what kind of rift..it's the same difference as apollo and rgt..sheesh you guys..you're digging to far into this

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 10:04
the only people who werent in BOTH rooms earlier were Raven and DarkGirl. I have no bad words for Jimmy or Mnemonix.

Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 10:42
I agree with Mr Cattle

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 16:09
You guys win, ill quit irc altogether. I only created the new channel to hopefully get something the way it was before, no disrespect to anybody was intended.

The 3d chat is coming...
In the meantime, come in the IRC. Ask me for details!!.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 21:20
nobody wants you to quit irc altogether.

Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 21:41
No,and some people prefer 2 rooms :p its something now which is going to piss some people off whatever you do , but don't quit IRC altogether, come in teh chat, whichever chat you want :p

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 00:42
<Rant>
First of all, I'd like to thank Mouse for interfering into something he has f*ck all to do with. You come in, your busom body Jimmy is owner, fair enough. Now anything we say about the channel is automatically bad, get a life man.
About jimmy doing a good job, might I say I havent seen jimmy do a single thing yet in the new channel, apart from making a few people he knew from his other channel ops, and pretty much annoying everyone else. Oh, he made a bot which reads from the help files, whoop-de-do, people really are unable to open up DBP, and click on help. All I have seen that bot do is being abused so that the channel is spammed.
And what was done about it? Exactly, nothing.
Zeroblitz, you shouldnt even get started here, you've been part of the channel for a few weeks, and done nothing worthwhile in there yet, you've been made an op now for god knows what reason, and you're having a go at Mnemonix, who made the channel what it is today.

Quote: "Mnem, if you open another IRC channel, I will drop all respect I've had for you."

Yes, and who currently own at least 2 channels on the network, one being #coding and the other being #darkbasicpro?

@Mnem: Its your full right to open up another channel, I'm currently on it, and so are a number of others. You gave away the channel in anger, because of a bunch of whiners, and you gave it to someone incapable of having a normal conversation in the channel, never mind being in charge of the OFFICIAL darkbasic chatroom. You made the channel the most succesful darkbasic chatroom so far, you arranged talks with TGC members, so why should you care what people who have achieved nothing think?

</Rant>

AMD Athlon XP2800+
GeForce FX5200 128MB
1024MB DDR 333MHz RAM
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 00:43
Plenty of people would enjoy your company on one or both chats . Jerico was probably right, I was treating the situation too seriously. It's not a big deal if you want your own chat. I'm sorry I made such a fuss about it .

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 00:49
Good point Kent. I'm sorry As for #darkbasicpro, I registered that for teh negotiations. #coding is mine, so whats the big deal with that?

But anyway, I guess you were right. What I meant was Mnem gave away his room, asks if he is power hungry, then opens a new channel. No offense, but I don't think how long I've been there should really matter, opinions are opinions.

Sorry everyone, I probobly took this too far :/

Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 00:53
Think about it this way, who was the first one to ask for the channel when Mnem said he wanted to give it away? Jimmy. And who's calling Mnem powerhungry? My point exactly.

AMD Athlon XP2800+
GeForce FX5200 128MB
1024MB DDR 333MHz RAM
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:11
Drop it all of you.
It doesn't matter how many damn irc rooms there are, Jimmy is in charge of the official one for the time being.

I say for the time being because unles he can prove to Lagmaster when he gets back that he is worthy of running it, he won't be.
Lag owns the damn server it's on and if he feels this has gone to far and had enough he'll just shut it down end of story.

Right now everyone is amped up on damn emotions taking pot shots.
Honestly I don't give a damn, what's going on.
The only reason I'm staying in #dbp is because I can get some damn peace and quiet whilst chatting without some smartass adding his 2cents thinking he's amusing.

Honestly if I were Rich I'd just shut down links to all of the irc rooms and be done with this damn annoyance.
Also it would probably be a good time to lock this thread and stop any more stupid bickering on the forums.

.. And Mouse, I suggest you drop the holier than thou routine in this matter. As I had to kill one of my nicks last nite as some lil rodent believed it was amusing to impersonate me.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:14
Well, allow me to add a little counter-rant.

I've been around this community longer than you have Kentaree; I've been a member of every single forum and chatroom, and I very well have god damn something to do with this community. The fact that you're part of your narcissist best friend lagmaster's little clique and that you were both moderators on the IRC for a short while doesn't make you supreme authority on the matter. If you've chosen not to see any of the good things Jimmy's done, you've repeat chosen not to. He's instated ops that-- for once-- are not bullying sycophants, helped put in a DarkBASIC syntax helper and made the channel a much more stable and friendly place. Your pedantic little rant goes to show the improvement the channel's seen since the switch of ownership.

And tell me, who put you in charge of doing things of 'worth' or 'value'? Zeroblitzit has a solid grasp of DarkBASIC and that's what gets mods appointed on the new channel-- a far better system.

You can classify the decent people in this community as a bunch of whiners as you want, but you know full well that you're wrong. The public has every right-- and from a certain persective, duty-- to report the absolutely inacceptible way you, lagmaster and CFC were acting as operators. If banning people because they disagree with you is your idea of fairness, well whoop-de-do. As I told you once before, you couldn't get away with that kind of behavior forever. The channel has improved ten times over now. Thank god Jimmy judges people by their personalities, not their 'achievements'. We're well rid of you people.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:24
Mouse, let me get one thing straight. Being around longer doesnt make you (a) a better programmer, or (b) a better person. You and me used to get on okay, then you started bullying some other members, and I called you to attention. Then, suddenly, all the ops in the channel had a vendetta against you, and poor little mouse was so innocent and never did anything wrong. Might I also say that if I remember correctly, I've been using DB longer than you, and I havent spent most of my time spamming all the community forums etc, cos to be quite honest, I've never seen you post something helpful yet.
Give me one example of me genuinely banning someone because he didnt agree with me, and I'll bow to you on that point.

More to the point, I wasnt an irc moderator for a "short time", I helped Mnemonix get a lot of the users and was always trying to get new ones. I also remember that you used to be an op along with us, and you acted very nicely towards mnem back then, and now he's suddenly immature and what not. Make up your mind.

AMD Athlon XP2800+
GeForce FX5200 128MB
1024MB DDR 333MHz RAM
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:30 Edited at: 7th Aug 2004 01:31
It's not black and white like you seem to think Kentaree. I still respect Mnemonix as a person and a coder, past all this mess, and I did through just about all of the mess with lagmaster's little gang getting me first deopped, then petitioning for my ban multiple times. At no point did I bully other members of the channel; heck, doesn't the fact that I'm-- in your words-- bosem buddies with the most forgiving person in the bloody community say something about that? I think Mnem's done a few immature and disrespectful things; I've done more than a few. We all make mistakes and I think Mnemonix is still a good person past his, just as I always hope to be forgiving for mine (as, I think, do most people).

Being around longer doesn't make me either of those things, but it does make it my business, which you were attempting to refute. I'm not going to harp on my personality. We all try to improve. But I won't remain tolerant of scummy people either. And again, if you've never seen me make a helpful post, you've chosen not too; I have countless instances of helping beginners in the IRC in my logs on this hard drive, and there are a plethora of posts where I've done so in the DarkBASIC forum, if you'd bother to search.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:45
Or maybe because they are overshadowed by all your pointless one? I wasnt there when you were first de-opped, and to tell you honestly, I still dont know exactly what happened there. That said, I dont care. Have you ever thought about the fact that it might have been for a good reason?

What I think is funny is how you point everything at lag, who doesnt own the channel, never has (apart from about an hour when he was helping Mnem reorganise). Also, has it occured to you that you're the only person ever to have had a big conflict with him, and you are one of the few to have had a big conflict with me, and with CFC. Because from what I can remember, you're the only member to ever have gotten on EVERYONE's nerves, and we tried to sort out things by talking and you accused all of the ops of plotting against you. I'm by no means perfect, but maybe you should take a quick look at yourself for once.

AMD Athlon XP2800+
GeForce FX5200 128MB
1024MB DDR 333MHz RAM
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:50
Mnemonix CAN'T leave irc, where will the DarkTOPIA team converse?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 02:42
Quote: "Have you ever thought about the fact that it might have been for a good reason? "

I requested it to Mnem, taking steps to try and stop the conflict between me and lag that he never bothered to.

Quote: "Also, has it occured to you that you're the only person ever to have had a big conflict with him, and you are one of the few to have had a big conflict with me, and with CFC."

Lagmaster's started fights with a lot of people before. Guy Savoie comes to mind.

Quote: "Because from what I can remember, you're the only member to ever have gotten on EVERYONE's nerves"

Everyone being the three of you? The channel wouldn't have changed in the first place if the community hadn't complained so loudly about you that Mnem gave ownership to Jimmy. In no reasonable context-- forums or any IRC-- have I ever gotten on everyone's nerves.

Quote: "I'm by no means perfect, but maybe you should take a quick look at yourself for once."

Read my previous posts.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 03:00
Quote: "The channel wouldn't have changed in the first place if the community hadn't complained so loudly about you that Mnem gave ownership to Jimmy."

Might I ask you back that up with logs from the irc?

Quote: "Lagmaster's started fights with a lot of people before. Guy Savoie comes to mind."

Yes, hence a "lot". I have never seen him get into a big fight with anyone else, apart from a brief flamewar with Raven, but they were both mature enough to talk and now they get on well, unlike someone we both know.

And let me rephrase myself then if you're going to take everything literally, you "get on a lot of peoples nerves". You happy now?

AMD Athlon XP2800+
GeForce FX5200 128MB
1024MB DDR 333MHz RAM
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 03:00
Quote: "Thank god Jimmy judges people by their personalities, not their 'achievements'. We're well rid of you people"

wtf? The ops he enstated are only ops because they know DB.. it obviously doesn't matter about their personalities, seeing as some of the ops enstated are very disrespectful

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 03:27 Edited at: 7th Aug 2004 03:27
Quote: "Might I ask you back that up with logs from the irc?"

As you know I didn't have internet until directly before the change, but if you want proof, just read the bleeding thread.

Quote: "Yes, hence a "lot". I have never seen him get into a big fight with anyone else, apart from a brief flamewar with Raven, but they were both mature enough to talk and now they get on well, unlike someone we both know."

I've argued with plenty of people before and now get along well with almost all of them. lagmaster & his goons and Raven are the only people I can think of who I don't.

Quote: "And let me rephrase myself then if you're going to take everything literally, you "get on a lot of peoples nerves". You happy now?"

I don't exactly see a mob behind your back, and in case you haven't noticed, the crowd at the alternate channel is incredibly small although I frequent the primary one .

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 03:27
Life is too short for this kind of rubbish. Drop it and move on guys

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:22:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:22:22