Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Future planning?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I'm 14 years old and I want ot go to university to study game developing/programming when I'm older. What would be the best languages and software to build up on in preparation for that? Thanks for any replies. I'm enjoying starting to use DarkBASIC Professional but I was wondering if there are any better ones I should maybe learn as well. I heard of C++ but I haven't used it or anything yet so I dunno about it.

---Deathstryke666---
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 10:31
french

nah if u want to be a serious game/software developer then C++ but if thats too hard at your level (whatever that is) learn somrthing similar (dunt ask me!). I guess DBP would be a good starting point.

.: Join the "No Tables" campaign! :.

Death Stryke
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok thanks a lot for your advice. Did you make that "NEOFISH" thing yourself it's well cool

---Deathstryke666---
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 10:53
Death Stryke, if you think you're fluent in DBP now, then it may be a good idea to explore C++. Personally, I've just really started to work with C++ and it's a lot of fun. Plus, you don't have to completely leave DBP either, for you can still develop some DLL's with it.

Easiest way to learn C++ is just not to be intiminated by it at all. Take it one step at a time. Don't work till your frustrated or on super difficult things, otherwise you probebly won't want to return to it.

So yes, if you want to really get invovled in the games industry, it can't hurt to start C++ now. It also can't hurt to become great with DBP. A great programmer gets the most out of all of his tools no matter what they are.

My advice, just stick with DBP, get the fundamentals down, and then move on to C++.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Death Stryke
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok in that case I'll try and gain as much experience in DBPro before moving onto C++. Thanks for advice I'll maybe read some books on it before actually trying to program with. It sounds a lot harder than the BASIC language

---Deathstryke666---
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 11:28
It's not, you just need to assume nothing when you're using it. BASIC teaches you bad habits.

Shooting for Eternium Man.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 13:58
You'll get the most out of math and english classes. As a professional you MUST have the ability to effectively communicate and create documentation. Try your hand at GMAX, Maya PLE, and other demo editions. Knowing how the resources are created will give you a better understanding of the big picture. Search the web (and this forum) for game design and script writing threads.

If you focus solely on programming, you will be a code monkey rather than an effective solution provider.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 15:31
If you want to study game programming, there was that thing EA recently granted Univ Southern CA to have a department for teaching game development related things, mostly programming.

Of course, it steems to stick better if you learn it yourself. Try messing around with the latest gnu compiler, it's one of the more popular ones.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2004 17:46
yes i made it in fireworks

what everyone has said is good advice

.: Join the "No Tables" campaign! :.

Death Stryke
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot for all of your advice its helped a lot.

---Deathstryke666---

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:26:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:26:55