Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
All I can say is WOW. I want to make games. I even hold onto the dream of one day putting together my own small-scale MMO-type game. I have lots of books on programming, game design, and 3D graphics. I have all the development tools I need to make any game. I am not daunted by the volume of material I have stacked up in front of me that I need to read, sort through, take notes on, and master in order to make games. What does give me pause is seeing a game like EQ2 coming out. I am dying to play it. But it makes me wonder that even if I do manage to realize my little pipe-dream and can one day run my own MMO, how on Earth will I be able to get anyone to play it when they could play something on the scale of EQ2?

My idea for an MMO is to target niche markets, so perhaps that is the saving grace for me. Obscure gaming genres that might have small yet dedicated players may still be a possibilty.

The more I know, the less I understand.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 06:19
That's actually a good plan. Niche markets tend to have a higher loyalty base as well. A good example of that line of thought is Furcadia which has been going strong for quite a while now.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Paynekiller Karnage Warrior
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 09:08
TIP: Don't let commercial MMORPGs intimidate you. There are a lot of MMORPGs that didn't make it, and yet, there are some that have bad graphics and they make it. Why? Because there was something original about them. (Runescape, Furcadia..etc..) Just try to think,"What can I put into my MMORPG that no other has?" Like, A modern setting MMORPG (Firearms,cars..) or one with Ragdol Physics (well, no other has it..) I mean,Runescape was the first Point-and-click (I think.. ) MMORPG on the market. A little imgination (and yes, daydreaming helps) is what all MMORPGs are built on. It's their foundation.

"Talking(typing) in computer language is like talking to a human. You must talk(type) clearly.
Uber Newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Good points, guys, thanks.

The more I know, the less I understand.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 09:15
Very true. I chose to play Ragnarok Online as apposed to FFXI because I like the way that the stats were set up. If you are not familiar with RO, it is over-head with 2-D hand-drawn graphics.

Graphics do not make a game. They may lure people in, but they are a gimick. Take for instance LineageII. It is beautiful, but it sucks. And it's US (dn't ask me about the Koreans) fan base is dwindling as it has no depth! In the end, if you have a creative product, people will seek it out!

If you still need a morale booster, go check out Runescape just like Paynekiller said. It has a huge fan base and looks terrible!

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
Paynekiller Karnage Warrior
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 05:24
Well, I wouldn't say it looks TERRIBLE....it's written in java, a language that was never meant for games, let alone 3-d games...

"Talking(typing) in computer language is like talking to a human. You must talk(type) clearly.
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 06:02
also some people may not afford or have a nice enough comp or conn. to play games like FFXI.

Good thing everyone here is a figment of my imagination.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:26:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:26:12