Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Wow could this explain why my computer keeps crashing?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 06:25
Take a look at the picture, its a log of my processor useage and memory allocation. It can't be right can it? Just by opening an IE window I use 100% of my processor! And I have over 200MB of memory allocated! I only hve 128MB RAM! COuld this be the cause of my computer crashing and causing many errors?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 06:30
With Internet Explorer open, it only takes up 2 - 10% of my processor usage. Your problem sounds very abnormal. Recommendations: Download AVG AntiVirus. Update virus definitions. Run complete scan. Download Spybot Search and Destroy. Run scan. Immunize. Do a happy jig.

HP Pavilion | Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
512 MB Ram | NVIDIA GeForceFX 5600 AGP, with 256 MB Ram
Vulcan Omega
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 06:31 Edited at: 6th Aug 2004 06:31
One possible reason is Spyware / Adware

Please use a sypware/adware scanner to see if you are infected.

Edit.

I type slow

Vulcan Omega is closer than you think !
http://www.vulcan-omega.co.uk/
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 06:32
I have Ad-aware and Spybot (I run scans almost everyweek). Is AVG Antivirus on download.com if not, where else (on my way to download.com).

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 06:33
Clean out any programs that may have infected IE and get rid of all those awful tasks! Your taskbar should have nothing on it but programs you want running, and look at all those nasty little icons, chuckling maliciously while they consume your innocent RAM and CPU proceses.

In retrospect there're rarely any shades of grey.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2004 07:33
Grief. Thats a lot of tasks for 128Mb of RAM. Obviously is taken more than than that (200 odd mb), but has to use virtual memory (ie. swapping with hard disk). Get rid of some of those tasks and get a memory upgrade! I've got 1Gb in this laptop, and it only cost about £130!

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:28:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:28:27