Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Overhead view adventure game (GTA2 style)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 00:18
I'm planning on making an over head game something along the lines of Gta (the first one not 3D one). The game will (hopefully) include an inventory, gun(s) and basic talking to people but at the moment I just thing about the movement.

I was thinking along the lines of sprite? but I want the character to go under things aswell.

Any help would be useful (try think along the lines of GTA2)

[image]http://www.1001monkeys.com/cs/img/jediphonixsig2.jpg[/image]
BigAdd
Years of Service
User Offline
What You Could do is make the game 3d, But position the camera so it looks down on the character making the game look 2D. Sometimes Sprites can be annoying.
Its just a suggestion.
SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 08:48 Edited at: 7th Aug 2004 08:49
Well, going "under" objects using sprites is simply a matter of drawing order, in that your upper most object is drawn last to the screen. While this is not impossible in a map situation it would mean you have two different map routines, as in the psuedo code of;

mapground() -- draw things beneath the player
drawplayer() -- draw the player
mapabove() -- draw things above the player (as sprites)

This would mean that mapground() doesn't draw the bridges, etc. that the character goes under, while mapabove() draws only them as sprite that will cover the player.
s.

Any truly great code should be indisguishable from magic.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:25:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:25:42