Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Neo-Geo:The Ultimate 2-D Fighter/Action Game System?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:13
Post your opinion on the SNK Neo-Geo, is it truely the best 2-D system available?

Mine: I think it is, I own one + 2 games

If you own one what games do you have or want to have?

Use The Force Luke!
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:22 Edited at: 7th Aug 2004 01:23
If you are unsure what a neo geo is, you can go to
[href]www.neogeoforlife.com[href] and see what it looks like and look at reviws and screenshot of games for it.

Use The Force Luke!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:39
my god no

i just decided to say that, i have NO idea, by 2D sys do u mean something like the gameboy

+ use the edit button, no no-one else needs to tell u

.: Join the "No Tables" campaign! :.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The neo geo is very old now. I'm sure that there are better 2d machines than this....

maybe not.

Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:46
Actually its nothing like a Game Boy, its not a handheld, go to the website and you can find out almost everything about it. You wont find any true 3-d games for it because it was made back in the day when consoles couldn't support 3-d yet(1989/1990). There is nothing bad on the link given so don't worry about any bad content.

Use The Force Luke!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:50
i saw an ad that showed a gameboy similar appearance (as in handheld) maybe that was a later version

Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:53
Quote: "The neo geo is very old now. I'm sure that there are better 2d machines than this....

maybe not."

The Neo-Geo was capable of produceing graphics that were FAR beyond any system at the time. I think the only thing that riveled the NEO-GEO was when the PSX came out. Even then it did not loose its grip. They are makeing the last game for it this year Samurai Spirits Zero Special. So lets do the math: if it came out in 1989 and its 2004 now, then that 14 YEARS of NEO-GEO, it is an actual fact that it is the longest supported console in history.

Use The Force Luke!
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:55
Quote: "i saw an ad that showed a gameboy similar appearance (as in handheld) maybe that was a later version"

They did come out with two hand-helds the Neo-Geo Pocket and Neo-Geo Pocket Color in the mid 1990's.

Use The Force Luke!
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:57 Edited at: 7th Aug 2004 01:58
that must mean that its good, but i dont think that a 2D only console could be considered the best - plus i only got PSX bout 3 years ago, xbox a year after that, i dunt know much bout early consoles

[edit] makes sense

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 01:58
I would have given my right hand for a Neo Geo back in the day--- but I had no money. That thing was waaaaayyy too friggin' expensive.

Metal Slug 3 is out for the Xbox now, did you know that?

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 02:00
nope, dunt know what it is, im saving for Halo 2 so...

Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 02:00
I got MS3 yesterday in fact. And your right, it did cost a truck load of money, it cost me USD655.00 to get mine back in 1993.

Use The Force Luke!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 03:07
Games sell at around £120 each - which is fine if you can afford it...

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 04:43
One question that has been lingering around the NEO-GEO community allot is wheather the NEO-GEO is actually 24-bits. This is because it does not contain a single 24-bit CPU but instead a 16-Bit MC68000
and an 8-bit Zilog Z80. Do you think that it should be classified as 24-Bit. I pesonally think it should because when it is running, the MC68000 and Z80 are working togather there for it is 24-Bits.

Use The Force Luke!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 05:15
No, it should be regarded as a 16/8 bit processor - whilst the two processors may work together, they wouldn't transmit the same data...

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 08:58
AhhhhhhhhhhYEAH! I LOVE the Neo-Geo! Nobody can F*** with Samurai Showdown 4! And what about Last Blade 1 & 2?!? Not to mention the Metal Slug series! I guess the younger generation just doesn't get the Neo Geo. You have to have been around with at least the SNES and Genesis. I have a NeoGeo CD system and 84 games (not burns)!!!!!

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 09:00
Oh, and no, it was really 16-bit, but it did not matter due to it's massive (for the time) amounts of RAM. It completely blew every other 16-bit system out of the water!

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 09:07
Quote: "16-Bit MC68000"

Depends what size the data bus was, could well have been 24 or 32-bit.

The Neo Geo rocked, but in all fairness it was just an SNK arcade board in a box. Which is why the games were *stupidly* expensive, you were effectively just buying their arcade machine cores, minus the big cabinets.

I do own a Neo Geo Pocket though - wonderful little thing.

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 09:30
That's why it was sooooo sweet when they made the NeoGeo CD!! Maybe it was too little too late. Their prohibitive pricing had already made them notorious in the industry, but it still rocks!

P.S.- Also, if you are into 2-D vertical shooters, check out the Aero Fighters (Sonic Wings in Japan) series!

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 18:42
Yeah, the CD version was far too late to save it really. Besides, as much as I love SNK games, the Neo Geo didn't really all that much more going for it! One hell of a sexy console to look at / use though.

Am waiting for Gradius V for the PS2, see if it plays better than the let-down that was R-Type Final.

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 23:42
Quote: "You have to have been around with at least the SNES and Genesis."

I have an SNES, Sega Genesis, NES, PS2, Sega Master System, and my NEO-GEO, so your right, I have been around the block with the gaming scene. I still play them all. Having all those system can definatley keep one from beeing bored, hehe. My Mother thinks I'm spending my money unwisley though. I think the madest I've ever seen her was when I bought Metal Slug 1 for the Neo-Geo!! LOLOL. I cost me well in exces of USD900. I did the dumb thing and waited to see if the price would go down . I bought FF1 when it first came out, it wasn't tooooooo bad, the price I mean.

Use The Force Luke!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 04:26
Nah, I always wanted a PC-Engine. Awesome.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 06:23
And another great oldie, which others seem to always dog on, was the Sega-CD. I loved the Sega-CD!

Now, I know what people always say, that the Full Motion Video (FMV)games sucked, which most did. Except for Double Switch, that game was AWESOME! It had great games like Lunar I&II, Popful Mail, Vay, Eternal Champions (the good one, not the Genesis version), and more! Great, very under-rated system!

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 08:13 Edited at: 8th Aug 2004 08:14
The Neo-Geo is an amazing bit of technology for 2d games, even today. However if you wanted the ULTIMATE console for 2D Fighting, a Sega Saturn with the 4Mb Ram upgrade Cart had all the best releases from SNK AND CAPCOM! I personally have one, with King of Fighters 95&96, Fatal Fury Realbout Special, Samurai Shodown, Street Fighter Alpha 2, XMen VS Street Fighter, and Marvel Vs StreetFighter, all PERFECT conversions

Even better of course, but illegal, is to run MAME on a Dreamcast or PC to play ALL NeoGeo games EVER, plus all Capcom CPS1 & CPS2 Arcade games

Oh and to the dude talking about the MegaCD/SegaCD, we're talking about 2d fighting games on MegaCD and you didn't mention arcade perfect Final Fight?!?! (PS recognise my signiture? From another cooool Mega CD game!)

"What's Luda smirking at? If Time Gal doesn't succeed, Luda will be laughing hysterically. That would be tragic. No smorking."
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 08:20
Yeah, sorry! Kinda got off the 2-D Fighter topic and got onto classic consoles.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:31:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:31:05