Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Space Shooter (non-linear lvls)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 03:04 Edited at: 4th Sep 2004 14:24
DEMO DOWNLOAD UPDATE:
http://www.vandekids.com/blake/Fatuus.zip

I was gunna write a whole ton about what the game is about, but i'd rather leave you wondering untill we finish it. I will say just a few things though; 1) Not all battles are as intense as you see in the screen shot 2) this game is an open end game with non-linear lvls meaning that you can basically go anywhere you want and do whatever you want to improve your galactic status and get a reputation 3) You will also be able to land on planets. when you land the game will be turned into a side scrolling type game.

yeah, thats all i have to say. Still kinda a secret project. Man, and i really gotta get working on my graphics. right now they kinda suck! lol

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars.
mr dr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 03:09
sounds awesome! looks awesome!
when do you expect to complete or have a demo?

Indigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 06:02
september 1st is our release date. Hopefully everything will be finished by then.

also i am currently working on keeping the graphics theme based. right now they look like somebody slapped on tons of ships onto a star background which is exactly what i dont want. I need everything to flow correctly. (I'm a big fan on game polish)

so far only 4 ships have been designed out of the total 30 or so ships that you can buy plus the special govt ships so there will probably be a total of 40 or so.

I'll release more information about our game as our progress continues.

~Dan

Physics coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 14:14
cool, are the ships 2d sprites or 3d models?

Quote: "you can basically go anywhere you want and do whatever you want to improve your galactic status and get a reputation"
does that mean you can attacking a type of ship and then they attack you whenever they see you?

nice graphics and radar, and war-like action in the screen .

-----------------------------------
To delete the bug, delete the code.
Specs: Sony VAIO Laptop, Windows XP, P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 64MB video memory, DBP Upgrade 5.3.
Indigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 16:40
Quote: "are the ships 2d sprites or 3d models?"

both. lol. I design them in 3d and take a screen shot of them from top view and turn them into 2d sprites.

Quote: "does that mean you can attacking a type of ship and then they attack you whenever they see you?"

Yup, lets say you shoot a confed ship. That one ship will try to fight back, but unless you kill a confed ship, other confeds wont mind too much. Some might come and help out the other confed if your attacking it for no reason though.

A little more info about our game:
There are gunna be at least 4 different govts in this game. By doing certain missions for each gotv you can slowly get a reputation with those people and eventually be able to get special ships that they only allow people of high class in the govt use. So basically, you can choose which govt you want to support and then the rest of the game will be based on that. (one gotv will be 'pirate' by the way so you can also choose the path of the villan if you want)

alright. thats enough info about our game for today. more info will be released a little later

~Dan

genius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 07:20
Looks good

Why do they have BRAIL on Drive-Up ATM Machines?
http://www.tamperstudios.com
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 07:31
Nice idea, Calypson, lookin' good!

~Hawkeye
Indigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 07:34
alright, we've been working really hard on our AI lately. now we have 5 diff govt's programmed in and they battle amongst each other and such. we also completely redid the code from the ground up using alot more functions to control everything. this will also allow for easily being able to make this game online if we ever decide to.

and here are some graphics I just finished for the game. Just a few space stations:

Tell me what ya think please

thats all for now i guess
~Daniel

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 09:54
They look abit cartoonish... But that's just me, it all depends on how they fit in your game

~Hawkeye
Indigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 14:58
yeah, right now they do look a bit cartoonish, but as i have already stated, this game is in 2d allowing me to tint, desaturize, and dirty up the sprites before inserting them into the game. I made them so clean so I can easily manipulate them to all have the same style once finished with the actual models

Vues3d on Kalimee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 17:43
NIce models...

Guido
http://www.vues3d.com
Indigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 04:14
why thank you!

Indigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2004 14:05 Edited at: 4th Sep 2004 14:07
well, the competition that i was making this for is now over and we got 1st place! Whoo hoo! I decided to celebrate and release a demo to the db forum members. We still plan on doing much much more to this game like finish the campaign missions and adding multiplayer and such, but Instant action is pretty fun in this game.

http://www.vandekids.com/blake/Fatuus.zip

Indigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2004 15:00 Edited at: 4th Sep 2004 15:02
screen shots:

(for some reason this one got scaled when uploading it to photobucket.com)

The Great Poe
User Deleted
Posted: 5th Sep 2004 06:50
WHOAMYGOSH!!!!!! THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET'S MAKE IT A STICKY IT'S SO GREAT!!!!!!!

Hehehe. A little excessive.

I HAVE DARKBASIC PROFESSIONAL!!!!!!!
The Great Poe
User Deleted
Posted: 5th Sep 2004 06:50
Seriously though. This guy's got some skillage.

I HAVE DARKBASIC PROFESSIONAL!!!!!!!
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
How do I find earth on the first level(or wherever im ment to go)?
I killed the rebel(easily).

Is this game going to be sold?

Indigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2004 09:23
Dont worry about the campaign missions for now. there is only 1 and its quite buggy. We are currently developing the campaign missions as we speak, but check out the instant action mode. lots more complete. And if this game goes well during beta testing, then we might sell it as shareware, and also for like $5 to the kids at school . Right now this game is going under alpha testing. this means, any suggestions or issues you'd like to discuss, has a good chance of being put into the game.

Here is a new screeny of a nebula battle:

Indigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2004 09:58
dude, I am pro! j/k. I am really trying to make this game be very top quality, if you couldn't tell. If i ever get enough money to buy a few servers, this game has great potential to, dare i say, a mmo game. EEK! j/k, it probably wont get that far, but it'd be cool if it did.

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 11:11
preety sweet.......the mythic one look good enough to be in halo 2

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 21:55
The music is excellent, certainly adds to the action. I found the gameplay a bit difficult because of 1 failing, the movement/range of combat was typically beyond the screen.

The gameplay itself was extremely fast, which is good to a point, but does make it more of a shootem up rather than a dogfight. Will there be boss' that involve more ducking and diving?

The background I thought was a bit sparse what with it being just stars, but then again, that's probably saving a lot of framerate compared to a similar game I am working on myself which has rather lavish backgrounds - making for less AI's at once.

It looks to me as though the game could run a lot more than 50 a side battles if the plot dictated it - so there is some good fast code behind this game by the looks of it, impressive stuff. However it is fundamentally quite simple, so I think you will need to have plenty of other things for the player to do.

The lifespan of one of the ships I tried was a bit low, I started a 1 on 2 battle with the second of the blue government ships, saw an enemy, flew towards him and he got the first two shots in which killed me.

I also found the 1st campaign mission to be confusing, I killed the pirate but I never found the research station - in such a fast paced game I would expect it to be quite close to Earth and perhaps have a HUD arrow pointing to it once the pirate is despatched.

You've got a fast playing game, so I hope that the amount of work needed to keep the action coming at the player doesn't prove too much, good luck in finishing this, i'll look forward to playing the final game.

If you are interested i'll be happy to let you test my latest Space Corps engine if you want to leech ideas? andy@bansheestudios.com.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 22:10
This looks really good but please please correct the typo on the HUD. Shields is spelt thus. Not sheilds (sic).

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 00:10:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 00:10:52