Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What's up with PlayBASIC?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 09:37
Hey. I checked out the Play Basic site, and I really could not get a good grasp on what the basic idea of the laguage is. Most BASIC languages have a "point" if you will. Like DarkBASIC and BlitzBASIC are for games. Play Basic seems for games as well, but how does it differ from DB and BB? Is it more simple than either of these? When I look at the site, most seem to be puzzle games. Is it geared towards puzzle games? Is it well documented with lots of tutorials? I am learning DB right now, but I may check out another language later.

Fraggles where quite the scary lot...
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 10:24 Edited at: 7th Aug 2004 10:24
Let's see ...

- Feature list
- Downloadable trial
- Example code
- Forums

Hey, maybe you can ask them on their forums?

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 10:27
lol he has a point, maybe the forums are empty

.: Join the "No Tables" campaign! :.

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 10:38
OK, sorry but:

1. I'm new at programming, so that is Egyptian to me

2. Should have noted that I am having probs with Downloads, not to mention the fact that since I am new to programming, I am not likely to figure out what makes PB different from DB in a short amoutn of time

3. They are all Puzzle games that I saw. I want to know if it is geared towards puzzle games

4. There forum is not exactly poppin'. That is why I asked it in the Off Topic Forum.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 11:45
I know the programmer who's creating PB, and he hangs around here every so often. (He's made lots of great contributions to the DB community as well.)

Posting at the PB forum or e-mailing them will be the best way to contact them.

Quote: "3. They are all Puzzle games that I saw. I want to know if it is geared towards puzzle games"

I believe at this point it's a 2D game/app making language.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 12:05
Ancient egyptian?

That's one COOOOL sphinx.

Terrorists, band together and cast your vote for John Kerry!
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 12:08
Quote: "I believe at this point it's a 2D game/app making language.
"

OK. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 17:59
PB is 2D only, and bollockingly fast 2D at that. The interface is quite nice (although the last version I used needed some serious work done on it). The language itself is sort of a half-way house, i.e. it's very powerful, but not fantastically easy either. I dare say the final EXEs are probably significantly faster than DB and BB, the sample games seemed to imply that at least. Major advantage - low system spec. Write games for older PCs easily. It's an interpretated language, so will not create tiny EXEs (like say PureBasic does), but I believe there may be a set of run-time files or something that might be created.

Overall it looks really quite promising, it'll appeal more to the 20-something age coders who remember hacking games out on the 8/16 bits I reckon.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 21:01
Quote: "4. There forum is not exactly poppin'. That is why I asked it in the Off Topic Forum."

True, but it's not exactly ghost town either; I'm sure all your PlayBasic questions will be answered.

Quote: ". The interface is quite nice (although the last version I used needed some serious work done on it). "

Indeed, but I dare say it's getting there.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Out now.

nFinity Emulator. Coming soon.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 22:10 Edited at: 7th Aug 2004 22:11
It has some really groovy 2D stuff, like Z sorted sprites, so really - it will turn into the kind of language you'd consider for a 2D RPG, or any 2D game really, but the Z-Sorted sprites are a freakin godsend and plenty fast too. From what I've seen of the language, it's quite straightforward if you just accept it as a fresh take on BASIC. Put this way, UW converted my 2D puzzle game into PlayBASIC in no time at all.

The tech demos I've seen impressed the hell outta me, so check them out. When I have more time on my hands I plan to continue a retro RPG project in PlayBASIC.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2004 23:14 Edited at: 7th Aug 2004 23:23
Quote: "Hey. I checked out the Play Basic site, and I really could not get a good grasp on what the basic idea of the laguage is. Most BASIC languages have a "point" if you will. Like DarkBASIC and BlitzBASIC are for games."

Yes PB's 'point' / command sets are focused upon 2D Gaming (puzzlers/platformers/shooters whatever). The key objective is keep the DX requirement minimal so your creations have a broader appeal.

PB is currently an Interpreted Procedural Basic language for Windows. But ALL of that is subject to change !, well apart from it being a Basic dialect

Quote: " Play Basic seems for games as well, but how does it differ from DB and BB? Is it more simple than either of these?"

Is it more simple.. Well yes and no. It should be fairly easy for anybody with a little Basic experience to pick up and mess around with. The fundamentals are much the same as DB / DBpro. Since at it's core, it is a procedural basic.

Some key _language_ differences would be that PB is a little more strict and does offer some more advanced controls over data. Two invaluable features (that come to mind) are passable data structures and inheritable typed data structures. These two features alone can make designing reusable code/function sets a lot easier and thus your programs shorter and cleaner.

Command set wise, PB has commands that deal with Worlds, Cameras, Scenes, Mapping, Sprites, Images, Collision, Shapes, fonts, Http, Banks, Colours etc etc ... all built in.

What we've tried to do is take on 2D from a slightly different angle. By including a lot of cumbersome functionality deep inside PB, but this can take a little getting used to...

Quote: " When I look at the site, most seem to be puzzle games. Is it geared towards puzzle games?"

No. Just that one the key beta testers likes making puzzlers.. and lots of them... PLus he's good at it !

The main thing stopping Map based game creation at this point, is that we haven't release the final of PlayMapper (the mapping tool). Which is now done, but is just waiting on ME to address a few issues with PB so we can release the next edition of the package. Once mapping is made easier, i'm sure see more Map games example being produced.

Quote: " Is it well documented with lots of tutorials?"

Not really. There are plenty of snippets and test codes included that show various things in action. But.. the HELP files are still in their absolute infancy. While there's 175 (or so) commands documented, PB has over 720 available. So getting the most of the package at the moment, would no doubt require a lot of tinkering on the users part. The package is a preview though and not the final.

Quote: " I am learning DB right now, but I may check out another language later."

If you can write code for one, you can write for the other.

Moreover, here is really not the place for PB threads. So If you need help getting started, have feature requests/improvements ideas or run into some problems with it.. Sign up on the forums and post away..

http://www.underwaredesign.com/forums

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice! Play Basic (Out Now!)
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 07:33
OK, sorry to ask this here, but I knew you frequented this forum, and the main reason I asked here was to get an idea of how this program works in comparison to DB, since it is what I am working on right now. Now that you gave me my DB vs. PB answer, I will ask all PB ?s there. Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:37:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:37:49