Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Screen border/overlay/thing...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 12:26
I've begun to get the hang of DB, and I've got a walking character on a landscape. But before I continue on my game, I need an overlay-like thing... a sidebar, of sorts... like on adventure games (on it would be an eye to examine, hand to grab something, mouth to talk/eat/drink, etc).

My question is 1. How to display the .bmp as a screen overlay, and 2. How to resize the viewing field into the remaining area.

Any help? Please? ^_^

My signature is apisdn umop.
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 13:15
Well, in 3D, the best way to create an on screen display is using a 3D plain locked in front of the camera. Use this command to lock the plain so that it always stays on the screen, no matter where the camera is:

lock object on objectnum

(where objectnum is the number of the plain you create for the display.)

You then texture the plain with your bitmap, loaded into DB as an image. You can then use ghosting or transparency so that most of the screen is the normal camera view, not the display.

Anything that needs more clarification?

Xander Moser of Bolt Software
Firewall: Your Computer's First Defense - Real Time Strategy game
[href][/href]
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 13:34 Edited at: 8th Aug 2004 13:37
Question #1: Just use load image to get the picture in, then use sprite to set the image to a 2d sprite (or "overlay" as you call it).

Question #2: Set camera view is your friend.
Just set the camera to the rectangle you want and fill the rest with the menu, and you'll have a menu bar with no blind-spots. Personally I'd just make the menu transparent (set sprite alpha) and leave the view alone (for composition reasons), but that's just me.

Hope I helped! ~Underhill

EDIT: Didn't see Bolt's post before me. 3d sprites sound like a good idea for speed and compatibility reasons. You might want to try them, too.

"You don't need a reason to help people."-Zidane (FFIX)
Jade Phoenix Software is on the way! Get ready for the rebirth of gaming!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:26:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:26:51