Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Game Development University Courses

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 22:30
Hey guys,

Is anybody going to university or planning to go to university to take up game development. Im thinking of going to lincoln university in Sept 2005, because they look like they have a good course going.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 23:09
I've researched game programming universities and found the best (on the basis of student output) to be Washington but that has extremely high entry qualifications and is very expensive, the second best to be UAT which has more reasonable costs, and the third is probably Middlesborough in England. There was one in Sweden that is might be quite good if you speak Swedish.

However, this was purely for programming games and there are of course many other types of degree. The critical thing to look at is student output I believe, I saw a few American universities offering "game programming" degree's but when I looked at the result of the students work after 3 years they where sub-standard compared to my own games developed in a few weeks. If the students can't knock up a good game after 3 years, what are you really going to learn there?

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 01:20
wait a minute.... you just sed Lincoln university as in the one in Lincolnshire? wow i live nr. Lincoln

Create or Play? You choose!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 05:57
EA just gave a grant to Univ. South CA to start up a videogame department, they're calling it one of those coverup names like Interactive Media Research or whatever. People are talking about being able to get your PhD. n game development in the future.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 06:55
Lincoln..nice, I'm going there this coming September to study that very course.
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 07:24
Does anyone know what the lincoln university is like?
Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 08:37 Edited at: 9th Aug 2004 08:38
Its a really nice campus. Loads of facilities there are pretty good, although I didn't look at them all.
From what I remember, gaming students have their own (24 hour) section of the library. Exclusively for gaming students, no exceptions (as I was told, even if other students desperately need a computer to get work done).
Their gym is, well, pretty damn big. I'm a bit out of shape, so I'll be joining early on.

There are a few more open days coming up though. One was in July (useless to know that now, but hey). There is another in August. 20-something of August. Have a look on their site.

Have a look on Unofficial Guides to see what others think of it.
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 08:53 Edited at: 9th Aug 2004 20:22
It looks great!
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 15:11
If you want to get into the game programming industry, don't go to college for Video Game Development, go for Computer Science. It's good to major in Computer Science, and minor in math or physics.

[center]
Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
bartlett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 20:22
Well Im doing a college course in Computing at the moment for a diploma and next year I wanna go to university for a degree in video game development.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:35:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:35:37