Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / irc chat room, your views (post rules in thread)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 22:51
hi,

i'm still trying to piece together what exactly has happened.

the main thing is i need comments on people who use the irc chat room (only)

i will be outlining rules for this thread if anyone breaks the rules. the thread can be locked by the mods.

1. post your comments on how the splits of rooms have helped or not helped.
2. do not reply to other people's comments just post 1 reply and just watch the rest.
3. do not attack users, i only want to hear about general moods and atmosphere, etc etc
4. only make 1 post, if you feel you've left anything out, just edit!
5. if you have any problem with the network msg me on irc on any im app not in this thread.
6. stick to these rules.

so come on, i want to see a nice decent thread for a change.

users who do not use the irc chat room,
DO NOT POST HERE!

ok rules done, you can now post

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 23:15
As I've stated many a time, I really couldn't care less who owns the room and I don't. From my experience, the room hasn't changed at all after the switch of owners! Sure, we may have some new mods and a different bot, but the conversation and attitude is generally the same.

I can't speak for the #DBP room though, I already idle in 5 rooms and it would get too messy to join another lol, that is literally the only reason I don't enter that room though. Honest.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 23:35 Edited at: 9th Aug 2004 20:03
I had decided to pack in the IRC room (or rather frequent far less), just before all of this trouble started.

Personally I'd had more than enough of the whole damn room.
The room is relatively good during the UK Evening time, but during the US Evening time... quite frankly I'd rather be in a flamewar with Simple than be in there.

I know you said no personal attacks, but put bluntly ... from what I gather ALL of the current trouble stemed from Jimmy and how he treats everyone.
I don't want to be in a room where I'm insulted every second setance and booted out of the room just for the personal amusement of Ops. I'm also was sick and tired of constantly being told that people were talking being my back and slagging me off whilst I wasn't in the room, even as far as some users impersonating me.

Right now I don't care what the hell happened between everyone for the rooms to split. I don't care what sort of agreement was met for this new joint owner-ship.

Quit frankly I'm about one step away from packing in IRC altogether because there doesn't appear to be any damn place I can talk without one of these sickophant weirdos comming in an being completely out of order.
If I want someone to insult me constantly whilst I'm talking to them, I'd talk to my younger brother.

Quite frankly I'm not stepping foot back into darkbasic, and I am only in dbp because I was Op'd so if anyone start talking trash I can just boot them. Even still I don't really feel like being part of any damn Dark Basic associated irc room right now.

[edit]
The two rooms have this own purposes, quite frankly as far as i'm conserned the less ppl who know about the second room and visit it then better.

See the room was originally created by Mnemonix, as some spin-off. It is now far more, because even though Mnemonix and Jimmy settled thier differences some people chose to stay in this new room despite what Triple_H, Mouse, Mnemomix, Jimmy thought we should all do.

It is nice to have a quiet room which doesn't get crowded that is only visited by ppl who are friendly to each other. I mean the past few days I've seen everyone who has backed Jimmy create a scene in this new room and act like complete fools, this goes double for Powersoft who doesn't seem to have grasped the idea behind anonymously signing in you hide your IP from the room. With the exception of Jimmy who seems to be behaving himself; atleast when I'm in the room.

I know it no doubt seems like discrimination of sorts to say that really we don't want newbies or such, the fact remains. The room is small, it is nice and quiet. People can have a conversation between themselves without 20 idiots having thier 2cents on the matter.

The second room is nice, but personally I think unless you can actually be friendly with the regulars you should just keep to #LLRGT and #DARKBASIC. The whole business that has gone on has shown the true colours of alot of users, and really I would've prefered to live in ignorant bliss; Instead some of us were bloody dragged into personal feuds we couldn't care less about.

With the likes of Mouse, well quite frankly he was banned once from the network and the only thing that I feel has prevented that happening again so far is the fact that he has been on so little. He has to damn well shape up how he acts and treats people.
Have 2 choices, act your ages like Powersoft and Zeroblitz ... or you can continue to try to act the way you do and watch the kickban set in.

You want to act like and adult you'll be treated like one. It isn't a conspiricy against you, it's a simple fact. Your not an adult but if you continue to act like it and decide to air your opinions so abrasively to the other users all the time then you'll get no sympathy.

Gotta sat alot of the true colours of you guys just isn't pretty and it also has show just how pathetic some of this forum stock has become. There was so much damn sheep syndrome going on we needed bloody bo-peep to sort it out.

well thats about all i got to ramble about for now.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 23:37 Edited at: 8th Aug 2004 23:39
I like the room the way it is now, the ops are more laid back about stuff and the atmosphere seems better

EDIT: Maybe Jimmy just doesnt like you Raven

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2004 23:51
Quote: "From my experience, the room hasn't changed at all after the switch of owners!"

Pretty much my experance as well, It is a chat room the users make it what it is not the owner.
I think that dbpro experiance is also required to be an op which I think is a good idea in theory.

The split appears pretty pointless to me, there are only a couple of people that arn't in the original room. Most are either in the original or both.

it's cool to hate
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 00:04 Edited at: 9th Aug 2004 00:05
it's kind of a dumb place, which is why i stopped going to it. i mean, all they talk about is stuff like boiled cabbage or hitting people with trouts. it's an off-topic chat room, and 99% of the time it has absolutely nothing to do with DB (except when TGC comes on, then it's a bunch of fanboys kissing arse and other idiots spamming the hell out of it).

also the way some people were getting actually mad about how they were being treated on a chat room (it's a chat room for god's sake! an imaginary place filled with pubescent idiots who don't have anything better to do with their time but make fun of people for no reason!) was getting pretty old too.

OK enough of that damn DBP fanboy banner. i'm NOT a DBP fanboy in any way. i haven't used DBP in over a year, and i don't really plan on using it again.
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 00:30
(please try and stick to the rules.)

p.s. no flames

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 00:55
This split hasn't helped anyone. It will turn into room fanboyism, and eventually when people from #dbp go to #darkbasic, and #darkbasic -ers go to #dbp, there is bound to be trouble. The only good thing that came from the two chats IMO is the fact that we could always send angry people from #darkbasic to cool down or something of the sort (got the idea from the topic, it was like "come in here to cool down" or something).

Now I must wait for Raven, Supermonkey, and... someone else to flame me.

[center]
Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 01:22
Well as i really kinda spent minimal time around the IRC when the split happened... it was stupid enough to keep me from my usual 12 hours idling a night.

So my opinion was it was a stupidest part i've seen in #darkbasic since last august.

well thats my opinion... (i'm leaving out private matters).

Come join us in IRC #darkbasic on the irc.chattingaway.com
AKA: Tomassetti13 on LLRGT
AKA: Liquidz_Snake on IRC
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 01:24
im sorry raven but you i feel can sometimes attribute to what you have said. the fact that you are going on less is pleasing as it will mean people who dont like you are alot calmer towards other users.

Create or Play? You choose!
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 01:26
The db irc is the funniest place. People argue over math, Jimmy wets his pants from over talking, Raven tells everyone to shutup and I just say "wasup everyone" everytime I join. It's perfect the way it is. You damn kids are wasting your efforts on the IRC when we have bigger problems like the infested Team Request board, the spam-happy spamers and the DBP fanboy plague.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 08:19
I think IRC needs to be taken less seriously and everyone should just chat and have a good time, while the owners try to create and maintain a good atmosphere.

The split of rooms is pretty pointless, along with this thread, because there is only ONE person that is not in BOTH ROOMS. Maybe if there was an ACTUAL split in users this thread would have some worth, but until that happens stop wasting everyone's time.

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 09:41
Well said. It is not a big deal.

But to keep you happy lag...

What happened was Mnemonix got tired of complaints about certain operators, and said that if anyone wanted the room it was theirs because he was tired of it. Jimmy said he wanted it, and got it. A lot of users got angry. There was much to-do. Jimmy calmed things down and introduced a syntax bot. Mnemonix came back and set up his own alternate channel. More to-do. Triple_H organized a compromise between Mnemonix and Jimmy: joint ownership. They've organized their own board of ops (who have IMO been doing a great job. Cheers Hellmonkey on the new position ). Since then it's gone really well. The "alternate" room is really nothing but another branch of the main one.

Raven, if you're packing the IRC, cool, you don't need to rant about it. You have a bad rep there for a reason

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 10:10
Hey, no attacking or replying to other peoples posts, Mouse. You rule-breaking, anal bum cover.

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 10:37
I like the two room setup..

Two conversations, more to talk about. Most of the users in #DBP are in #DarkBASIC. Those who aren't probably have personal reasons. I like the entire deal. Two rooms for one purpose, two rooms available for two different types of conversations.

Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 10:41
I didn't particularly care, most people who where in #dbp where in #db some people decided that these two rooms were also enemies, not naming names. This made things even worse!
Overall I prob prefered the split, double the amount of conversation double the amount of idlers!

Supermonkey - The crime gifhting sex god monkey!
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 12:59
Well, I (being the dumb n00b) had no idea about the split.I have just been going to the #darkbasic irc link on the website cuz it is convenient for me. I am not a personal fan of IRC, mostly because every one does idle in about 10+ rooms. You say something, and it takes five minutes to hear anything. I think it would be nice if people would pay attention to a room at a time, but I know that is not going to happen so I will shut up about it.

As far as the validity of having a room (or multiple, whatever) room is awesome. Sometimes (once again see: dumb n00b) I have a little problem that is not worth asking in a forum, as it will probably not benefit anyone else at a later time, and will just get 1 answer post, a prompt "thank you" back, and then die. I ask it in there, and people help me. No long waits for a thread post or anything.

And yes, the completely random chat (hitting traffic with biscuits, and just about anything else using food in incorrect ways for some reason) is annoying, but I realize it is just a product of people being bored when no one was talking.

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 16:02
Quote: "an imaginary place filled with pubescent idiots who don't have anything better to do with their time but make fun of people for no reason!"

I resent that!

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 18:12
Personally i think the split is a good thing. I like the general attitude in both rooms. Raven, you cant leave, LOL. Who will i talk to about doom 3 :-P.

The 3d chat is coming...
In the meantime, come in the IRC. Ask me for details!!.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 11:05
ME! I may have never played it but I HAVE A DREAM DAMMIT.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 11:25:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 11:25:02