Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / frame rate

Author
User Banned
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 22:18
Ideally what should a games frame rate be???

i want to be able to use my game on 1280,1024 mode but it seems to hamper the frame rate
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 22:32
Anything above 30 should be fine - anything higher is just wasted because you can't see it unless it causes tearing on the screen

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Stevie
User Banned
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 22:37
Thats cool. My game is running at 51 FPS - for some reason i thought it needed to be around 70.

What concerns me though if the game runs on this machine - P4 1.5Ghz at this - will it run exceptionally faster on a 3.0ghz machine and in effect the game would like like light speed?????
Obviously i wouldnt want this to happen - i want a constant game on both machnes.

Also effects like Set Reflection shading etc - as they are quite intensive - is there a way of turning them off - when they are not required on screen??
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2004 23:38
It will run at different speeds on different computers. For a constant speed you will need to base movement off the timer or fps.

It's been discussed many times, a quick search here and in the darkbasic pro board will turn up plenty of usefull info.

PII 300 : 64mb ram : voodoo II 12mb : Win98
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2004 02:28
The quickest way to implement constant frame rates is:

SYNC RATE 50 (or whatever rate you want)
SYNC ON

This will be fairly consistent across machines.
There are ways to do it more accurately yourself, but my opinion is that you must have a very pedantic application if you need very precise frame rates.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:26:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 20:26:09