Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / cpu temp

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 02:29
what temp would be good for my cpu to run at? it is currently 35-40 degrees C.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 02:35 Edited at: 11th Aug 2004 02:36
Well you're screwed if it's negative one kelvin.

(Seriously, that's fine; no worries unless it gets lots hotter.)

The Real 87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 02:36
As a general rule of thumb just keep it as cool as you can. If you have an Intel that you have less to worry about in way of over heating but AMD's can over heat very easily if over clocked or if they don't have a good air flow.

Just keep dust out of your fans and turn your comp off if your not using it and you should be fine. If you over clock ur CPU then read your user's manuel for the max temp it should run at.

Check out my RPG at
www.stickz.tk
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 03:14
Would it be ok to use a hover to get rid of the dust in your fans/box? I know the motor could wipe some of the equipment, but if I keep it far enough away will it be fine?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
The Real 87
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 03:20
You should use cans of compressed air. A vacuum may be ok but I would not suggest it.

Check out my RPG at
www.stickz.tk
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 04:29
Quote: " Well you're screwed if it's negative one kelvin."
wtf
thats impossible - 0 kelvin is absolute zero which is not possible at this time and is only theoretical

Used to be Phoenix Insane : PC Spec- AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz, GeForce FX5200 128mb, 512MB of ram, Win XP Home SP1
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 04:32
I thought space was absolute zero?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 04:37
killswitch, not necessarily true.. in deep space, it can get close to absolute zero

Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 04:38
no
it's just very cold

absolute zero is where all particles stop moving (vibrating), where all the atoms are perfectly static - it is only theoretical at the moment and is not going to be reached for another 10 - 20 years min.

Used to be Phoenix Insane : PC Spec- AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz, GeForce FX5200 128mb, 512MB of ram, Win XP Home SP1
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 04:39
Oki doki i just assumed space didnt have any heat - theres nothing there to become hot!

Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 04:40
it doesn't get close to absolute zero in space - or if it does we haven't found it yet

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 04:43
Well if we haven't got to 0 kelvin and space isn't 0 kelvin, how does anyone know that 0 kelvin exists???

Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 04:44
you keep typing when i do - and i wasn't becoming "hot" i'm just a massive physics fan

and you get radiation in space from stars - if you can see a star it means that there is a small amount of heat coming towards you - although you might not feel it

Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 04:44
it's theoretical - and stop typing when i am

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 14:42
Mine runs at 45c on average, 57c if I've been playing games for awhile. P4 2.8e

However, my dual athlons would run around 75c

"eureka" - Archimedes
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 05:16 Edited at: 12th Aug 2004 05:20
keep your comp as cool as possible but don't go to extremes, max temperatures can be very machine specific eg. my pc crashes out at 50oC but my dad's can run at 65oC without apparent problem (cpu temps), that temperature is fine but beware if it goes over 50 you may encounter instability, i use motherboard monitor 5 to monitor my system spec ie. temps, frequencies and voltages.

i think space is 3oC abouve absolute zero.

edit:zero kelvin is when the particle has no energy at all, it has no kenetic vibration, emits no photons...

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 05:19
Quote: " wtf
thats impossible - 0 kelvin is absolute zero which is not possible at this time and is only theoretical"

That's the point ...

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 06:12
Quote: "Would it be ok to use a hover to get rid of the dust in your fans/box? I know the motor could wipe some of the equipment"

A hoover is fine in theory, a quarter inch paintbrush is better. Infact you can get purpose built cpu hoovers that have a small brush attachment specifically for the purpose of cleaning fans.

In terms of cpu temperature that depends entirely on the processor, I run a few AMD 2Ghz machines and two of them blew recently in the hot weather when running consistently over 70-75 degrees.

With new cooling solutions they now run at around 30-40 degrees, although the heat wave ended the day I fixed them...

The main thing to remember is if you replace your fan with a new model and you have an old motherboard then disable your cpu fan speed sensor before replacing the fan as new units have much bigger blades and spin slower and so the motherboard sensor will detect that the fan is broken even though it is working fine.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
my CPU has run at about 60 C for about a year and a half now with no apparent problems. i'd like to get a new fan though. this one doesn't seem to do as good a job as it used to when i play games.

i don't think i've ever crashed from overheating, surprisingly enough.

OK enough of that damn DBP fanboy banner. i'm NOT a DBP fanboy in any way. i haven't used DBP in over a year, and i don't really plan on using it again.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 02:38
The human body is fairly well designed and doesn't tend to do that.

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 02:57
Unless you sit in a suana in the Sahara drinking boiling water and having lava poured on you by firey demons...

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
lol

actually i have crashed from overheating. thankfully no programs were open at the time, and no important data was lost!

OK enough of that damn DBP fanboy banner. i'm NOT a DBP fanboy in any way. i haven't used DBP in over a year, and i don't really plan on using it again.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 21:59
I've just got used to crashing my computer is too old to do anything I want properly, and multi-tasking is almost beyond it. Ah I can't wait until we get our new family PC then this one will be mine muwhahahaha...Is it hard to upgrade to a new CPU?

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 22:20
Quote: "Is it hard to upgrade to a new CPU?"

It's relatively easy so long as it's designed for your motherboard's bus speed otherwise you'll need a new motherboard as well.
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 04:53
Quote: " "Is it hard to upgrade to a new CPU?""

If you can handle a screwdriver well. I allmost killed my motherboard when my screwdriver slipped out of the cooler mounting clip.

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
"I allmost killed my motherboard when my screwdriver slipped out of the cooler mounting clip"

oh god i hate AMD CPU installation. have you ever put in a P4? it comes in this huge fan/heatsink thing with 2 levers. you put it in, and just flip the levers. no cheesy half-arsed metal clippy thing that requires 200 pounds of force to get the )(%ing thing on, using a sharp straight-slot screwdriver only half an inch off the surface of your brand new $200 mobo.

AMD should rethink, no?

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If you can handle a screwdriver well. I allmost killed my motherboard when my screwdriver slipped out of the cooler mounting clip."

As I was reading that I thought you almost killed your mother.

-Ilya
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 06:33
My comp runs between 50 and 70 degrees C. Anything over 90 and you've got trouble. Anything else is fine, it won't degrade performance, it will just lock up if it gets too hot. Nothing will slow down as the temp rises, just at a certain point it will lock up and require a cool down.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 09:14 Edited at: 14th Aug 2004 09:15
Quote: "oh god i hate AMD CPU installation. have you ever put in a P4? it comes in this huge fan/heatsink thing with 2 levers. you put it in, and just flip the levers. no cheesy half-arsed metal clippy thing that requires 200 pounds of force to get the )(%ing thing on, using a sharp straight-slot screwdriver only half an inch off the surface of your brand new $200 mobo.

AMD should rethink, no?"

I personally think AMD's method is safer (not for the motherboard, but for the cpu), because the it touches the cpu way better.
I will buy a better coolor (thermaltake or other brands) for my next AMD. (I prefer AMD's, intels are, uh, more expensive! ) the standard coolors are equipped with a bad clip..

Quote: "As I was reading that I thought you almost killed your mother."
Neat

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
"I personally think AMD's method is safer (not for the motherboard, but for the cpu), because the it touches the cpu way better."

as long as the heatsink makes contact, it's good. the P4 heatsink has a good bit of pressure on the CPU. not as much as on AMD processors, but still more than enough to make total contact with the chip's top.

i've heard of people cracking their AMD processors when installing the heatsink, just under "normal" amounts of pressure. that's kinda.. bad.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 11:19
From what I've seen at LAN parties and such AMDs tend to require more cooling and are more likely to die from removing the fan than Intels (my friend took his fan off his dying computer, you could see the chip turn grey and smoke).
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
"more likely to die from removing the fan"

why would you remove the fan?!

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 13:46
I meant if it came undone accindetly, which could be a problem for people who transport their computers around a lot.
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm.

i thought that was the point of the overzealously tight heatsink clip.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 14:10
That's one possible solution as is just making it have a higher tolerance for heat.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 22:32 Edited at: 14th Aug 2004 22:36
Quote: "I run a few AMD 2Ghz machines and two of them blew recently in the hot weather when running consistently over 70-75 degrees"

Ah, my processor runs at between 65°c-74°c

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 00:03
Mine runs at 30-40, depending one what i'm doing.
(Athlon 2600+ with A7V600-X)

http://www.jellystudios.tk
Current Project: Cube3 Arena (TGC Compo Entry)
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 02:06
How do you get the tempaerature of you CPU?

eat much pie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 02:24
Stick a rectal thermometer up its rear end

Checkpoint Router: my very own AI routing program: http://eatmuchpie.dbspot.com
Sam Wright
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
mine runs at 47 with the aero 7 on full blast, i havent got one of those psu's which helps airflow, but will get soon.

facts about kelvin:
The zero point of this scale is equivalent to -273.16 °C on the Celsius scale. This zero point is considered the lowest possible temperature of anything in the universe. Therefore, the Kelvin scale is also known as the "absolute temperature scale". At the freezing point of water, the temperature of the Kelvin scale reads 273 K. At the boiling point of water, it reads 373 K.

imo, in deep space there has to be some heat, ie, heat from the big bang, heat from nearby stars and also heat from planets/reflected off moons. i doubt whether outterspace ever reaches anywhere near 0K.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 23:30
Outer space is around 2¢X Kelvin on average.
BCRICH WARLOCK
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive Read A Lot About Kelvin. Doesnt Kelvin In Theory Create A New Form Of Matter?
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 02:14
Kelvin is just a scale for measuring temperature like the Celsius or Fahrenheit scales. Kelvin is almost equivalent to Celsius but its 0¢X position is at -273¢X C, this is called "Absolute zero". The "new forms of matter" you mentioned is the theory that when matter reaches absolute zero (which would theoritically cause the atoms to stop moving) it could create a new form of matter that can't naturally be created in the universe due to radiation.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:26:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:26:49