Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Trying to accoplish the LAN thing...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've got three computers that I want to hook up with a LAN, with a DSL connection. Now, am I correct in saying that how I would do that is take one of the three computers and connect it to a single DSL Modem (which would be connected to the Internet) using an Ethernet Internet chip, and then plug that computer and the other two computers into a network router using Ethernet LAN chips to create the technical part of the network?

2.3 Gigs. 1993 MHz. 256 MB Ram. Home Sweet Home.
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
First, disable Norton Internet Security on all computers.
Then, hook up all the computers and run the windows network thing.
After that, your done.

Just plug the DSL cable into your router when you hook up the computers so they have internet.

-Ilya
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 08:30
yeah, you connect the dsl modem to the router, then connect the pc's to the router. The router will be assigned your external ip address from the isp (static or dhcp), then the router will act as a dhcp server and assign all machines connected an internal ip like 192.168.1.100, 101, 102 etc.

Just make sure you set up the router correctly with the isp modem and you'll be fine

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 11:31:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 11:31:14