Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Lost in BASIC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 19:47
Well, I did it, I finally ordered Dark Basic Pro. I've decided after 2.5 years at a near by university that it's finally time for me to actually learn something relevant to my major; programming! I'm being a little sarcastic. Don't get me wrong ----> the core curriculum was interesting but not very challenging to be honest. I am a comp science/applied multimedia undergrad. I live my life in a manner that suits procedural programming. I believe the two go hand in hand and I should prove to do exceptionally well in theory lol.

My main concern is that BASIC is not even taught at Oregon State University. Why? I may be wrong here but I believe it is no comparison to C++. C language is the primary language used in all applications. It's much more complex and intimidating. However, Dark made BASIC very appealing to me. So, I am wondering if it will confuse me to learn BASIC and C++ simultaneously? And in the end will I ultimately lose to someone who has been breathing, living, perhaps even fu**ing C++? I know once I learn BASIC I can apply its concepts to C++ and maybe vice versa. So either way its a well made effort in moving forward. Just curious, what do you think?

Strict 9

"... I'm a tech junkie. You make it, I fu** it!?"
Code Machine
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 20:21
Hi,
Programming is programming! I wouldn't think that learning languages simulateously would affect you. In fact, I think they may help to get a more complete understanding of programming. I've been programming in one language (FORTRAN) for the past 4 years, and finally decided to expand my language range by learning C and DBPro (although I did learn BASIC when I was younger). There are many commands in BASIC that have their counterparts in C++; so I wouldn't worry too much about those. There's also the extra 3D commands, but they aren't too much of a problem because they relate to the graphics mainly and don't affect the program structure. The only real problem is the lack of a flexible data structure in DBPro, you have to work with (static??) arrays mainly unlike structures and classes such as in C/C++. If you are aware of these differences, and know how to apply them in C++, then there shouldn't be any problem at all. Good luck with the game making!

Code Machine
Strict 9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 03:11
Also, I was looking for a site with all the key structure commands for dark basic pro. Anybody?

Cartmanbeeps
Years of Service
User Offline
BASIC programming is what it says. BASIC. You cant accomplish much with just BASIC. DBPRO and DBCLASSIC are different. They are BASIC but its a powerful BASIC language. However since DB is a small group language unlike Visual basic (i own) or Visual C++ (I own) or PASCAL universities and colleges wont use it because you wont use it for a job. If your buying it to make a ton of money dont. Its not gonna make you be a C++ wiz. If your buying it for fun your using it a good useful way. Starwraith was lucky. They made money because he had programmed before with other languages (from what i have heard) if you wanna make money with DB learn some other stuff.
Strict 9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 03:21
My intentions are not to distribute and profit off games made from dark basic. It is for the sole purpose of learning. My post is more geared towards a career as a game developer, with emphasis on BASIC versus a strong knowledge of C++ "which is better?" I did purchase dark basic for entertainment/hobby reasons.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 04:40
As a professional programmer, my advice is to learn as many languages as you can. They are your tools and having the right tools for a job always makes it easier. Also, the computer programming career field is very mobile. I know guys that have worked for over a dozen different companies. Knowing many languages will give you the open minded flexibility to hit the ground running.

Final bit of advice, add scripting and report formats to your skill list. Knowing how to program is one thing, being able to speak via Crystal Reports, PDFs, XML, HTML, etc. is how data gets converted into meaningful work.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Strict 9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 06:40
Sorry, just messin with my avatar. Test #1

Strict 9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 06:47
Test #2

"I can only imagine where the industry will be in another 10 years..."
Strict 9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 22:41
How do u save and compile a project into an actual working windows application? I just finished writing a short text output with rotating spheres and wanted to save it to see if i could run it stand alone but I cant seem to. When I click on check syntax/make exe NOTHING happens. what gives?

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 01:50
Dbpro compiles an exe in the projects directory. If you just start the editor and start typing without createing a project the exe will end up in the dbpro TEMP dir usually located at
C:\Program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic Professional\TEMP

PII 300 : 64mb ram : voodoo II 12mb : Win98
Hansie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 02:53
learning C and C++ (forget C#) is always an advantage. especially if you have intentions of doing serious programming at any level later on in your life. I learned C and C++ years ago, but honestly don't appreciate the hassle for small projects.
Strict 9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 05:34
I need some help, i am creating a ball that I can move about in a matrix. I can get the ball to move forward and backward but i cant make the damn thing turn. Please help. Here is code sample:

if upkey() then move object 1, +1
if leftkey() then move object 1, turn left +1

the second line does not work (obviously) i need help plz. Also, how do I know what numbers position an object where on the matrix? Lets say I wanted my ball to start dead ceneter, how do i do this? How do i shrink the size of the ball? I have:

make object sphere 1,100

i tried playing with the numbers but i cant get it to shrink. It starts off with the matrix tile (make matrix 1,100,100,10,10) slicing right through the damn thing. Plz help.

Strict 9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 06:16
Also, can someone show me how to add texture to my matrix?
Heres my improper code:

load image (yada/yada/yada.bmp)",1
prepare matrix texture 1,1,1,1
update matrix

I get a runtime 506 error message saying could not load picture on line 12. Yes, it has been loaded into my media panel. Please help.

Atreides
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 07:10
this line looks wrong :
load image (yada/yada/yada.bmp)",1

first, there's a closing ", but nothing to open ; then, I don't understand why the ()
try this :

load image "yada\yada\yada.bmp",1

but I find odd that there is a directory called yada in another one which has the same name ; if it doesn't work, try this :

load image "yada\yada.bmp",1

The sleeper must awaken !
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 07:41
Quote: "if leftkey() then move object 1, turn left +1"

Commas separate parameters and not commands. Try this...

if leftkey() then move object objectID, distanceToMove# : turn object left objectID, angleToTurn#

You also need to use the correct parameters for each command.

THE HELP FILES ARE YOUR FRIEND.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Strict 9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 08:13
I c ic ic, thanks guys.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 20:12:28