Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Oh by the way, its worth reading EULA's

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 20:13
I was just re-installing me copy of vb.net standard 2003 (i'm poor!)... and i found this in the EULA....

1.1 General License grant. Microsoft grants you as an individual, a personal, nonexclusive license to use the software, and to make and use copies of the software for the purposes of designing, developing, testing and demonstrating your software product(s), provided you are the only individual using the software.

there is lots of other stuff saying that you can even re-distribute the demo code and sell it as your own, without giving microsoft credit for it (i wouldn't do that but even so).

Read EULA's people, there can be some useful info in them!

Its not a bug, Its a feature

If we were meant to stay in this reality games would not exist!
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 22:38
yeah 1 license means 3 installs with vs.net 2003

Create or Play? You choose!
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2004 22:54
Try reading the Windows one, it's scary and funny. Legally, you can't do stuff like network more than 5 WinXP machines on the same network without buying a separate liscence or use any non-MS product to view a Windows desktop, stuff like that. There are some other stupid things but I can't remember them off hand.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 01:45
Yeah, except it's still Microsoft's copyright and they can sue you for it regardless of what's in the EULA-- unless they specifically grant you the right to sell the demos .

Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 01:54 Edited at: 12th Aug 2004 02:14
While were on the topic of the VB.net EULA. Does anyone know if were allowed to (non-commercially) distribute apps we make on VB.net copies labeled as not-for-resale?

Quote: "12. NOT FOR RESALE SOFTWARE. Software identified as "Not For Resale" or "NFR" may not be sold or otherwise transferred for value, or used for any purpose other than demonstration, test, or evaluation."

The Eula is a little unclear since it goes over what you can do with VB.net but not what you can do with apps u make in VB.net

This sig has been dullified!
Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 02:05
Well i think that is pretty much self explanitary isn't it!

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 03:26
Theoretically, yes, so long as that program is for "... demonstration, test, or evaluation." of said software. Otherwise, it's prohibited.
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 04:22 Edited at: 12th Aug 2004 04:29
Hmm,that makes perfect sense gothOtaku. But in another forum where I asked the samething, I got these...

Quote: "All the EULA is concerned with is VB.NET, not any app you create with it. If there were any restrictions, it would have been spelled out specificaly."

Quote: "The "NFR" is in regards to the VB.NET itself. IE, you couldn't get it free from MS then turn around and sell it on EBay."

Quote: "What's a EULA?"

I dont know who to believe....

Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 09:17
The EULA is for 1 VB.net program and the programs you produce with it!

EULA = End User License Agreement

Hell Dragonz43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 09:27
i always hated EULAs. Most people (i think) never read it though, making them at risk of going to jail or getting sewed for doing something illegal (because they dont know the rules of the software) Read the EULAs people! Trust me, it can save u!

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 09:29 Edited at: 12th Aug 2004 09:31
EULA is specific to the software unless stated. IE the EULA of MSWord says you can only have one computer with MSword installed per license, but that doesn't mean documents you make with MSWord are allowed only on 1 computer at a time. Where as the EULA of gamemaker(a free 2d-Game RAD) specifically states that you are allowed to distribute games you create with it.

And I know what a EULA is, that quote was someone's reply when I asked the question.

Giles Papworth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 09:30
Yep yep yep, there are all sorts of things in the EULA's that protect the maker of the software from being sewed if your pc goes wrong from the software!

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 12:38
Quote: "Yep yep yep, there are all sorts of things in the EULA's that protect the maker of the software from being sewed if your pc goes wrong from the software!"

Yeah, many products do this and it pisses me off to no end especially as a computer ethics major where we argue that if you charge for software you are ethically responsible to make sure the software causes no damage to a clients computer from normal use.
Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 15:10
i nnow under stand why they have an eula on service pack 4 for win 2000 i had to reinstall windows after i installed it i never did read the eula though but if that would have been my only os i would have been real mad but luckily i had winxp pro and i didn't have to reformat just reinstall everything

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 11:19:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 11:19:06