Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Fallout 3

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 07:17 Edited at: 12th Aug 2004 07:38
For those of you who haven't heard, Bethesda Softworks (Daggerfall, Morrowind) bought the licence for Fallout 3 from Interplay (which is in its death throws). They've announced they're going to be developing it from scratch alongside the next Elder Scrolls game. There's no other solid information yet. I'm personally more excited that another Elder Scrolls is now official, but there's still a pretty big Fallout community out there...

http://www.bethsoft.com/news/pressrelease_071204.htm

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/13/news_6102442.html

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 07:31 Edited at: 12th Aug 2004 07:32
Being a Fallout fan, I'll do the obligatory happy dance.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 12:40
Good, we need a new Fallout game.
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 20:42
Yes, I heard this some time ago. There's surprisingly strong fallout community out there still. But then again, it was a great game!

I'm very interested to see how it turns out. I don't think it'll be bad - just a little different. The problem with this is that the only two games that i'm waiting for (next TES and Fallout3) are coming from the same software company... what if they go bankrupt? or something like that.

| Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue. |
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 00:52
I doubt they'll go bankrupt. Bethesda said they've been preparing to start working on two games at once for some time. They're making a hefty income on the side by publishing games made by other software houses (Sea Dogs 2, the upcoming Cthulu game), as they're both a development house and a publisher.

My only worry is that they would make the two games lean towards each other by sharing technology and code and thus damage both of them. But I trust Beth with that... they've never let me down before .

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 01:11
Oh, this is good news.
I enjoyed playing Fallout 1 and 2. First class games. And Morrowind is a great game as well, so I think Bethesda will do a good job.

And knowing Bethesda, the game will probably use a sh*t-engine like Morrowind does

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 01:14
Morrowind actually used a good engine, it just had a ridiculous amount of polys onscreen, a ton of internal CPU processes and rather unoptimized code. GameBryo's gotten better since then too.

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 04:39
Ridiculous amount of polys onscreen? The engine doesn't cull polygons (hide invisible polygons) most of the time. And I still don't know why 50% of the morrowind players have good pc's and still experience crashes and other weird errors (savegames missing, etc). The engine is still far from "good".
Hopefully they will use a better engine or "fix" the current one.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 04:48
Quote: "Ridiculous amount of polys onscreen? The engine doesn't cull polygons (hide invisible polygons) most of the time."

Wrong-- it never does. That's because there's already so much CPU overhead from the AI, scripting, spells, inventory, etc that they figured on your average video card and CPU, the CPU would be the bottleneck, not the video card. Which was true-- when the game came out, culling would only have made it perform worse on most peoples' PCs. Might not be true now.

Quote: "And I still don't know why 50% of the morrowind players have good pc's and still experience crashes and other weird errors (savegames missing, etc)."

With a patched game, CTDs are occassional and other errors are *very* rare. And even if there were those hypothetical savegame errors, it'd be the fault of the Morrowind devs, not the engine.

Quote: "The engine is still far from "good"."

Nope

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 11:27:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 11:27:28