Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / next project = 2d RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 23:38
I've made a 3d pong game, I spiced it up a little bit with a menu, and some texutres which looked nice I need help on making a 2d rpg, can anyone help?

[ img]http://www.freewebs.com/southernfuturegames/sfg_logo.JPEG[/img]
future boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 23:43
NOTE: I'm still trying to do that annoying signature picture

Ha! Ha!

future boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2004 23:48
THERE! FINALLY I WONT BE SO ANNOYING!

www.freewebs.com/southernfuturegames
future boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 01:10
and sorry I forgot to mension - it was 3D RPG not 2d! And using dark basic classic!

Enclosed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 02:16
Create a plan! First of all if it is an RPG I would start with how the game will be setup. If it is an RPG the two main parts of the game should be storyline and character building. I would start by writing a general storyline and include character traits to all the characters you want, maybe along with abilities and powers. Next I would work on the engine. Now this doesnt have to look good at all during this point of development. You may want to scribble down on a sheet of paper where you want things like text boxes and health bars to be displayed.

The engine is practicly the main part of the game so I'm not even gooing to try and tell you how to code it. So pretty much the engine will include movement(with camera work), interaction with other characters(which should develop storyline),battle system(this can be turn based or real time), and last of all stats(which will need a LOT of variable work). If you get past this point you can try to get collision working in your game or I would recommend Nuclear Glory collision DLL, if you have enhanced or Pro.

Although this may sound pretty easy it is not. If you skip the planning process you will find yourself sitting at the computer staring and waiting for ideas to come up which will take longer then if you have already decided something and are coding towards a goal.

I am not going to discourage you from this because after you make or fail with an rpg you will have learned 1 or 2 things.
1.It takes time and devotion to make an RPG and not all progammers can do it, especially alone.
2.Bunches of programming
So go ahead and try and if you have any specific questions the forums will be happy to flame you and maybe even answer them
GL
Dodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2004 03:16
hey just to help a little if i were you i'd set your program out like this:
1. load media and configure computer display
2. main loop
3. functions, ending notes etc.

also writing some pseudo code for the main loop should help as well
future boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 19:20
Hey thanks! Enclosed! I'll do that!

To All Xbox Owners You Must Own The Chronicles Of Riddick! It's Awesome!
future boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 19:34
Well I want to make a game called zelda - red sky, it's like a parody or remake, but even know there is no zelda red sky! THAT sort of RPG I'm making

[img]C:\My Documents\My Pictures\sfg_logo.gif[/img] www.thechroniclesofriddick.com
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 01:43
Like which Zelda? You said 3-D, so I take it it will be like the Ocarina of Time? That would be cool, but TOOOONS of work!

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
future boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 02:09
yeah it would be, that's why I need help! I need help on 3rd person moving camera and possibly a model of zelda FULLY ANIMATED (models if possible)

www.thechroniclesofriddick.com
someone namedlink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 03:59
A model of zelda??? Why would you like Zelda to be the main character? Ooh... you mean Link! How stupid of me. For a minute I thought you where using princess Zelde to be the player character.
You can try to make a model in anim8or. It's free software for making 3D stuff and animate them. You can even make your own movies with it. And it is really easy! For the part of the camera, I do not know it for now because I just started programming in DBP and I never did 3D games. (Although I made a 2D game rendered from 3D graphics in DIV). Maybe you can look at the manual?

DIV/DBP-coder
Lightning Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, link! Sorry about that

run, megaman, run!
Lightning Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, future boy! I'm making a megaman game and I can help you! Just ask me anytime! (NOTE: MY LITTLE IMPRESSION ABOVE)

run, megaman, run!
future boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 20:19
Hey, heh! heh! Thanks anyway (BUT THE IMPRESSION) hehe

Game Programming Beginner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 09:34
There is a book that may help you out as well called. "programming role playing games with directx 2nd edition" it's using c++ but it has a lot of good info in it. I know becouse I got it to help me to start out with an RPG. $49.99 Like you I'm trying to do one it should take about 2 to 3 years. I'm get starting in programming myself hope that this help you out.

WindowsXP Professional, AMD Athlon 2.500+ GHz CPU, 512 MB of RAM, GEForce2 MX 64mb of RAM. Let the Game's Begin...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 21:21:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 21:21:13