Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Star System

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2004 16:19
Ok I was thinking about how I could do a star system and decided to take a look at star wraith 3 because its a quality space game. Ive decided to do what they did and just have a really big inside out sphere with a texture. However they also have it seem as if your passing stars by having lines originating towards the center of the screen streaking out in different directions. Now I have tried for quite a while unable to replicate this small code and was wondering if I could get someone to explain to me how they do it or post some code. Thanks guys.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 09:17
do you mean kinda like star trek warp?

"We make the worst games in the universe."
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 09:37
Well, one cheap possibility, which is easy but not very versatile, is to x-rotate your star sphere so that the camera is always pointing at the very top of the sphere. Then scroll the texture each loop, and it will appear to be coming out of the centre. (Face the bottom of the sphere and it will look like a black hole, with everything being sucked into the centre!)

Someone else here will no doubt have some proper '3D starfield' code, though.
Enclosed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 10:41
Sort of like a star trek warp except i need the lines to move not just to stretch. Sort of like passing the stars and if I can figure it out ill make it so the faster the ship is going the more they streak, but if it is stopped it just has a small dot staying still. Thanks for the help guys if i can get a code like this it would be mega helpful.
Enclosed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 14:46
Ok I figured out how i could do it basicly. Now I need a massive space texture . Does anyone know where to get a real big texture of space that would look good in a game?
Mr Underhill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 14:59
Just make a normal texture and scale it in-program to be small. That's how I'd do it. It saves a lot on disk space.

"You don't need a reason to help people."-Zidane (FFIX)
Jade Phoenix Software is on the way! Get ready for the rebirth of gaming!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 16:37
For space textures, you can make your own using programs like Star Bits, Universe, POV Ray with the galaxy include file, or you can nab Hubble images from NASA's web site.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Enclosed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 03:44
Thanks for the help guys, but i dont quite understand your way Mr.Underhill. Wouldnt that decrease the detail and make it look bad? And Zircher the only one of the programs you listed that I found by way of google was POV ray, but then I cant find the plugin maybe someone could post there sites? Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 00:52 Edited at: 17th Aug 2004 00:53
[bad chinese accent] Your Google-Fu is weak. [/bad chinese accent]

A nice Hubble gallery:
http://hubblesite.org/gallery/showcase/text.shtml

The Starbits home page is down/moved. Here is a download site:
http://shareware.pcmag.com/category.php%5Baction%5Dbrowse%5Bi%5D30%5Bid%5D141%5Bf%5D%7C%7C%7C%7C%5Bs%5Dproduct.date_released%7CDESC%5BSiteID%5Dpcmag
(The forum can not parse this URL, you'll have to cut-n-paste it.)

Universe downloads:
http://www.diardsoftware.com/universe.htm

You know about POV Ray at www.povray.org, here's galaxy include:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/galaxy.html
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 21:28:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 21:28:07