Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Currency Value

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 08:14
I just looked on www.xe.com, and 1 Great Britain Pound (GBP) is worth 2 US dollars (just about). So, if any of you UK Gents win the lottery, move on over to the US!

[center]
Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 08:27
Each cent matters, it's not $2 . But the rates are rather extreme right now.

We're still recovering from some rather economically unbalancing worldwide events. Well, we hope we're recovering .

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 08:34
Zero thats not the way foreign currency works. Lets say the GBP was worth 2X USD... You win the GBP lottery, you come state side to buy up twice as much stuff, you find out that things cost about 2x the GBP in your hand here, than they do over there.

kinda like that

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 08:36
That is how money-changers make fortunes. They buy currency when it has low worth and sell it back when it rebounds. If I was a Brit, I'd do a lot of money-changing right now.
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 08:43
Hmm, I thought it worked like that, but I guess I had one of those sudden "Look-at-me-im-smoking-marijuana!" phases.

EDITORS NOTE: I do NOT really smoke Marijuana... maaaan.

[center]
Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 08:49
Quote: "EDITORS NOTE: I do NOT really smoke Marijuana... maaaan."

You don't? That's unfortunate...

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 08:53
Quote: "You don't? That's unfortunate..."

Not .

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 08:55
Quote: "You don't? That's unfortunate..."
Yeah! It makes you happy. All your freinds are doing it.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 08:58
All your friends were happy when they jumped off a cliff, you should do it too Zero Blitzit! Only losers don't jump off cliffs!

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 08:59
Then why havn't you done it yet, hmmm?(j/k)

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 09:05
Quote: " Hmm, I thought it worked like that"

It does sort of, just there are just a lot more factors to take into consideration.

PII 300 : 64mb ram : voodoo II 12mb : Win98
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
something i never understood - inflation. what's the point of it? if the price of something goes up 10% but the average income also goes up 10%, what's the difference? in 1950, the average car cost a little less than the average yearly salary. today, the same is true. only difference is the numbers are bigger. i just don't get it.

OK enough of that damn DBP fanboy banner. i'm NOT a DBP fanboy in any way. i haven't used DBP in over a year, and i don't really plan on using it again.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 14:04
There is no 'point of inflation', it's a bad thing. Most people suffer from inflation, especially people on stable incomes and banks where money is loaned out. Inflation discourages the saving of money and instead encourages people to spend money to keep their worth in assets and durable goods, hence people will borrow money (usually from banks) and then pay it back for less than it's worth.

Example 1:
If I have $1 now, inflation causes everything to double in price. I still only have $1, it's not going to magically double because of inflation, therefore I am effectively losing money. Inflation means Saving = Bad.

Example 2:
If I borrow $300,000 to buy a house worth the same amount, then over a long period of time (20 years, perhaps) inflation causes the price of the house to rise to be worth $500,000 - but I still only pay back the bank $300,000 + Interest, this means the bank gets back money that is worth less than it actually is and I have essentially retained my wealth through assets because I can sell that house for the inflated price. Hence why Real Estate is such a big thing. Inflation means Purchasing = Good.

Example 3:
If I'm on a set income through a contract that will pay me $50,000 a year for the next 5 years, then that means by the end of the 5 years I could essentially be making less money than I would have been at the start of the year. This is why people need to push for raises and many companies often have strike actions, one such instance was with a Teacher strike in Australia earlier this year, teachers were getting a pay rise of 2% while inflation is 3%, this means that although they were making a larger sum of money, it was actually worth less. Inflation means Long Term Contracts/Employment = Bad.

These are just very basic examples and more factors affect everything and it's not as black and white as I put above, but it still gives an idea of why Inflation is such a bad thing and usually anything but good.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 18:05
Yes, I saw that in Manchester Airport yesterday - 1.9735 dollars to the pound! How did you do it? Last week when I went it was ~1.6

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 21:04
Exeat summed it up very nicely.
I'd like to add that a very low rate of inflation is actually wanted in roder to prevent another danger: Deflation.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Out now.

nFinity Emulator. Coming soon.
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 21:16
thing is in rip-off britain something that costs say $99 in the us usually costs around £99 in the uk.

so going to the us and spending would be like winning the lottery twice.

All Hail the Glory of the HypnoToad
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 21:57
Basically any change in curreny value is dangerous. The great depression proved this nicely.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 01:37 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 01:38
Uh...Well the pound was worth roughly 2 dollars about 25 years ago so nothing MUCH has changed now has it

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 02:43
Quite obvious how many people here too Economics.

Inflation is in place to stop people spending and borrowing money by raising it's value essencially making things cost more.

The example of the house is silly, because there is NO bank in the world that gives you 0% APR.

What your looking at is £200,000 would be borrowed to buy a house, this would be paid back over 25years say.
Now this is originally divided up by the value of the house... ie

200,000/(12 * 25) = Original Payback Price Per Month
Most banks give you around 8-10% APR on this though, so each year what you have to pay back will be raised by this ammount.

ie. First year usually costs 0% APR so £667/month (£8,000/year)
next year this is raised lets say by the minimum 8%.
So £8,000 * 8% = £8,644 the next year... this in turn grows the next year, etc, etc...

The value of your house however will only raise by the inflation rate, which is usually between 0.2-0.5% (depending on how much the government / treasury believes it is needed) every 6month review.

So although you house will jump to lets say min rate again, £208,000; you will find that although you've gained £8,000 value on your home, the overall value you are paying back has raised double that.

If we take this into account for 25years of repayment.
You home will have raised to £330,000 ... your cash will be worth approx £1 ~ £0.92 (meaning your take home is worth around 8% less in total), but your morgage will have come to a grand total of £583,452

ofcourse this is assuming a stable market model which is very unlikely.
Banks make so much damn money from inflation it is ridiculous, because although you can say 'well money is worth less', even taking into account the dropping worth they would still be making £368,940 from you.

this is provideding the same perfect market.

As for the cost of things... Americans spend less and earn more. This is a fact of life people.
It's not that they're any more sensible with money, it is just thier government gets such a surplus of cash from taxes each year that they very rarely have to be *as* extremely with inflation as the UK do.

Good example is Gas/Petrol. Americans will but thiers for ~$2/Gallon ... Brits pay ~£0.80/Litre (4.55 Litre to the gallon) so we end up paying around £3.65.
This seems a bit extreme now, but remember the adverage wage stateside is roughly double what it is britside...

So say your a computer phone technician. US would earn ~$15/hr, UK would earn ~£7/hr.
This means that if you takes this into account not only are we literally paying double, economically we're paying double again and physically changing the money we're paying Quadruple.

This is probably the most extreme case, however is it not an isolated fact. Generally speaking spending power is half and good are between 50-200% more depending on if it is an import or not. Often is the case, things we import we pay alot less for.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 03:38
Quote: "So say your a computer phone technician. US would earn ~$15/hr, UK would earn ~£7/hr."
Thats not double. It's roughly the same.

But it kinda helps if you have (in comparison) almost limitless resources. I mean we have what, 4 times less population in the UK than the US? But what is the size comparison for land?

Main thing with the UK is the amount of Tax we pay. Is amazingly high. But one of the differences I reckon is the difference between rich and poor. From some of the stuff we hear about it sounds like a hell of a lot of the US is stuffed money wise, whereas a lot of the out of work people here just laze about and get a fair bit of money from the governmemt. ie. our money. My old landlady's son in law hasn't worked in a decade, but he has like 4 children. He reckons he would have to earn at least £25,000 a year just to be worth it. What happened to the phrase "we can't afford to have children yet"? Rant rant bloody rant.... grrrr....

Oh, and apparently the US gallon is not the same as the GB imperial gallon. Is fairly close, but not quite as near as comparing a US mile with the UK (very very similar).

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 03:59
Cattle Rustler is right. It is determined by buying power and actual cost of living, factored in with how much that average worker makes. Just like he said, you would see that things cost twice as much and the average worker makes almost twice as many monetary units per hour.

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 23:06 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 23:06
Quote: "The example of the house is silly, because there is NO bank in the world that gives you 0% APR."

Lol, I clearly said '+ Interest', I take it you missed that. You must have also missed the entire point of my post, it's not to show real-life examples with actual figures but how the value of material goods appreciate over time where as a dollar value remains the same. I thought I made that quite clear when I said "These are just very basic examples and more factors affect everything and it's not as black and white as I put above".

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
BCRICH WARLOCK
Years of Service
User Offline
I Hate Exchange Rates. Mainly Becouse Im Canadian I Get Nailed All The Time. whenever i think ive got enough money To Buy Something Exchange Rate Comes In And Punches Me In The Stomach. Seriously. I Think Canada Is Behind on all the major currencys rite now Well 1 Euro Is $1.61 Hmm.
Alright Im Going To Afganistan. Not Really But 1 Canadian Doller = 32.9 Afgans
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 02:26
Yeah, but it doesn't really matter massively. A loaf of bread will probably cost the "same" (ish) anywhere. Just some areas of the market are far better in some parts of the world. I'm sure a loaf of bread in a place where people are starving is worth like most of a weeks wage or somesuch, but in most "western" type countries we should be similarish. Just the countries resources (and how much their government stinks) should tip things one way or the other with certain items. If you look at Europe you normally find some things are cheaper elsewhere (cars for instance), but other things are not. Still, we are being totally screwed in the UK by tax, but we are used to it. Typical. And there is always another way for the government to spin things.....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
BCRICH WARLOCK
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I Went To Buy Dbc and Got slapped By Exchange rate Now I gotta Wait Another week Possably 2 :\ :/
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 00:44 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 00:46
Quote: "Inflation is in place to stop people spending and borrowing money by raising it's value essencially making things cost more."

Well, if you want people to stop borrowing money, raise the interest.
And if you raise the value of money, things will cost less and that would be called deflation.

Quote: "ie. First year usually costs 0% APR so £667/month (£8,000/year)
next year this is raised lets say by the minimum 8%.
So £8,000 * 8% = £8,644 the next year... this in turn grows the next year, etc, etc..."

No that's not APR (I think you confuse that with compound interest or interest on interest, but that works differnt as well).
The annual percentage rate measuures the true cost of a loan. Theoretically. Next to the actual interest, it includes several fees.
The amount of money you pay per months depends on your mortgage- whether it's fixed rate or not.

Quote: "The value of your house however will only raise by the inflation rate, which is usually between 0.2-0.5% (depending on how much the government / treasury believes it is needed) every 6month review. "

The average (annual) inflation rate in the UK and most other EU countries is around 2.0%

Play Nice! Play Basic! Out now.

nFinity Emulator. Coming soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:33:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:33:51