Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Game Maker

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 09:18
Hey guys. I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever used Game Maker. I did, and I still do, and I really like it. I was just curious if anyone else here has used it.
Hell Dragonz43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 09:21 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 09:25
I used to use it. But then i became bored of its features and wanted to make 3D games. I started searching online, found some 3D game making programs, then moved to 3D programming (DBP). I dont know y, but i just feel like a lot of things are missing from the program. But i have to say, its good to start with. It has almost everything you need to create a fun game. I used it for about a year, made games and showed my friends (who loved them which made me happy), then got bored of it.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 09:24 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 09:26
I used it for about a year(2001-2002) from version 4.2 to 5.0. It seemed slow/unpowerful compared to DB though, so I stopped using it when I found out about DB.

This sig has been dullified!
Hell Dragonz43
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 09:25 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 09:27
Same here. I started with products from ClickTeam then moved to Blitz then found out about DBP.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 09:48
Never used it, but I have heard that it is as good as non-programming game making can get. But compared to programming games, it really cannot hold a candle. You are limited in what you can really make in 3-DGM, whereas in Db, you are only limited by your imagination and skill.

I would suggest using 3DGM for a while, and then when you hit the "ceiling" in it, switch to DB and learn to program

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 09:53
Quote: "whereas in Db, you are only limited by your imagination and skill."
Not really, I hit the "ceiling" in DB(and then abandoned the project)) beacause I couldn't get the positions of of faces.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 10:02 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 10:20
Quote: "Never used it, but I have heard that it is as good as non-programming game making can get. But compared to programming games, it really cannot hold a candle. You are limited in what you can really make in 3-DGM, whereas in Db, you are only limited by your imagination and skill."

GameMaker has a scripting language(GML) which follows a C-like syntax(Scripts, while isn''t the same thing, has similarities to actual programming). Its nothing like T3DGM. The only reason someone might prefer T3DGM to GameMaker is that GameMaker doesn't natively support 3D. But in essence I think GameMaker is much more powerful than T3DGM.

Overall, both GameMaker and DB have their quirks, but GameMaker is still nothing to DB.

Mr Niceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 10:20 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 10:21
Hmmm.... I'm actually talking about http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/ that Game Maker, not the 3D one. And you CAN create good games with it, check out my website here: http://www.freewebs.com/niceguygames and download the game called Stick Ninja. It was made in GM and I'm very proud of it. But you guys are right, DarkBasic is more powerful, but GM is also, if you know how to use it.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 11:05
OOPS! I thought he ment The 3-D Game Maker! I don't know what The Game Maker is then, sorry!

Quote: "Not really, I hit the "ceiling" in DB(and then abandoned the project)) beacause I couldn't get the positions of of faces."

I really meant vs. The 3-D Game Maker, which DB blows T3DGM away, and that cannot be denied. You are only limited by your imagination in DB compared to T3DGM lol! I know that DB has it's weaknesses..

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 11:12 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 11:53
Wow I got hooked to that monkey swinging game.(I liked that starwars style scrolling text ) Haven't tried stick ninja yet though.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 12:53
Wow, I used to use Game Maker back in '94... I shelled out $80CAD for that sucka. I should dig up some of the old games I made. Those were the days...

Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 13:15 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 13:15
I like Stick ninja! Its very cool and I love the movie sequences. Keep up the great work man. Specially the guitar solo at the end of the lv.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/db_games/
Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 14:30
That was the first thing I ever did that had to do with games. I kinda learned Qbasic, and VB, then I wanted to make games, hard to do with a pure basic language, so I downloaded GameMaker 4.0, then later 5.0, and made some cool games with it. I think GML has greater limits in 2-D than DB, just because it's made for it, but thats just me. Dont get me wrong DB is like a god, you can make anything (almost). So screw GameMaker, hail DB.

I used to be alienman

Coming Soon: HexTournament, Quantum Tournament
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 21:17 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 21:17
Quote: "Wow, I used to use Game Maker back in '94... I shelled out $80CAD for that sucka. I should dig up some of the old games I made. Those were the days..."

I don't think that's the same Game Maker MrNiceGuy is talking about.

I think Game Maker is an interesting program and very well written (written in Delphi by the way). Beginners can use it as a Point & Click tool, more advanced users can utilise the scripting language.
When I tried it (version 3 or 4, I think) it was faster than DBC (with 2D of course). I liked the event oriented approach somehow, even though esp. in this area there were a few conceptional quirks.

Play Nice! Play Basic! Out now.

nFinity Emulator. Coming soon.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 03:39
Quote: "I don't think that's the same Game Maker MrNiceGuy is talking about."

After doing a quick search I realized you are right. The Game Maker that I'm talking about was made by Pie in the Sky software. It came on one floppy disk and there was absolutely no coding necessary.

Boring history alert:

I created a series of games called Druggie in which you are an undercover agent, represented by a head, walking around moving platforms and collecting bags of cocaine, pot, and other things. If you run into an open bag you get health taken away. The object of each level was to find the syringe. The cool thing was once you chose a path, it was hard to escape the moving platforms as one after another threw you around, often leading to traps. There were many hidden areas and unlockables.

Funny thing is I made the first Druggie game for extra credit in high school when we were learning about drugs :-P

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 06:37
@Manticore night- i think you could make a .dll to do that

"We make the worst games in the universe."
GICO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 01:31
I used Gamemaker for about 2 years and i loved it until i were makin a beat em up game with lots of characters and GM just couldnt handle all the sprites! so now im using DBP

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:30:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:30:30