Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / anyone going to birmingham airport soon?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 09:21 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 09:55
well, there i was at the security thingy, with the xray machines and metal detectors n stuffs, and i couldnt be arsed to empty my pockets into one of them plastic trays- and i'm lucky i didnt, for what was about to happen.

the day before, me n mates went for a treck for a few miles into town, i personally went in search of the foo fighters album, others came along for varius things, includings pre-ordering of halo 2 etc etc etc. well, its one of those walks through rudeboy territory, where although we laugh in the faces, you think its probably good to carry some form of self defense just incase (i have jrowe to vouch for what redditch kids r like) things go bad.

so the next day, having packed all my clean clothes, i had to wear the same shorts as the day before- tho i managed to find a clean set of everything else- but forgot about what was in my pockets- my mobile and wallet were in there, thats all that mattered.

so there i was at security, and as soon as i stepped in through the metal detector- BEEEEEEEEEP. so i shrugged as a guard summoned me over to be searched, and as he was searching me, he placed his hand on my knife- it was just a lil 1-inch knife, with a saw, pliars, screwdriver and bottleopener, and at the other end a torch that folded backwards to you could see what u were cutting in the dark.

he obviusly didnt think anything of it or maybe its just my shorts are so loose that he ohysically didnt notice it, so he moved onto the other pocket, just as he noticed my mobile, i suddenly realised what it was that was in my pocket he had just felt-
"yup its the mobile triggering the sensor."
*mind elsewhere then suddenly remembering the knife*: "OH CRAP"
"what? you havent got anything else on your have you?"

*immediatly 2 policemen come behind me with machine guns pointing and another with handcuffs ready* - having the name "Hussein Duvigneau" on the passport wouldnt have helped the situation at all.

"umm... no, just my wallet"

and then he let me go.

those last few seconds were the slowest ever- lucky i decided not to risk handing the knife in, cos i woulda been in trouble for sure.

i walked over to the nearest bin, checked for cameras watching me, and quickly flicked the knife out of my pocket into the bin. next to the bin was a glass case containing all the knives that have been found in it.

if you happen to be strolling into birmingham airport one day, and come by this glass case, please could you crack it open for me and get my knife back? its in a lil black pouch...

lucky im not a terrorist eh?

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 09:48
Hehe thats a good story (crap if they'd found it).

A similar thing happend to my Granddad as he was on his way to Ireland (he is Irish). He walked through the metal dector and it went off, they did a scan and sound some coins and things in his pockets OK they said go through again. Beep. This is when they started getting suspicious, they starting searching my Granddad and were about to go through his luggage when my Nan, who had been trying to attract the gaurds attention finally got it. She told them about my granddads metal hip!

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 12:16
Yikes. Glad that got sorted out !

My grandmother was coming through security at the airport over here, and there were two 'checkpoints'. She got her duffel bag checked at hte first one, and then had to go back to get something she'd forgotten in the car, and she decided to bring a mirror that had broken in transit with her cuz security might make a big deal out of it. She goes back, goes to the second checkpoint, and they make a big deal about the broken mirror not being there... and then one of the guards produces it. Not it, of course, but a shard of broken glass out of nowhere. Pulling up fake evidence 'cuz they get rewarded for doing it ...

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 12:50
That's almost as bad as the time I packed an authentic-looking toy pistol in my suitcase. That was about twenty years ago--- before the government enforced the whole "bright orange tipped gun" law.

Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 21:31
I had a binbag in a suitcase once.

They called me over the tannoy to go into a little room while they went through my belongings.

luckily it wasn't amsterdam airport

All Hail the Glory of the HypnoToad
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 21:58
Quote: "That was about twenty years ago--- before the government enforced the whole "bright orange tipped gun" law."

They force your guns to have bright orange tips? Are you kidding me?

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 21:59 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 21:59
I was going through San Francisco - we were all taken aside from the other travellers, bags were sorted by hand, basically the fully whammy.

We weren't American, you see and travelling on an internal flight...

@Karlos: Nice to see you're still woking on that fottbal manager!

@Mouse: only for transit I think

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 23:18
Well it's good you're not coming through Manchester... over here they pat search you just going to a concert...

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
mouse- that happens at just about any concert and many nightclubs etc.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 03:27 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 03:28
Quote: "They force your guns to have bright orange tips? Are you kidding me?"

All the toy guns in our country must have a bright orange tip. The law was enforced because some kid jumped out of a closet at a police officer pointing his real-looking toy gun at him. You can imagine the tragedy that ensued after the cop's reflexes got the better of him and he opened fire.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 11:24
@Jeku: I heard about that, though I thought it happened in USA. I was 7 when I heard it; my Grandpa had told me the story

WWSD?
Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one whose little path would make me sad who's power is Satan. He'll give you give you 666. There was a little toolshed where he made us suffer sad Satan.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 15:25
Quote: "Well it's good you're not coming through Manchester... over here they pat search you just going to a concert..."

Manchester, US? The Manchester Airport here is very nice and kind

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 18:21
Yeah there's a Manchester in New England, unsurprisingly He had me confused for a few seconds.

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i see...

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 23:48
I took fireworks along with me on a trip once.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 02:36
Quote: "We weren't American, you see and travelling on an internal flight..."
You gotta love it. Reminds me of when the government was stating how these new biometric passports will work. Apparently we all need them, otherwise we will have to apply for visas etc. Ok, fair enough. Americans don't need them though because they will be able to handle their own people. Hmmm. Ok... Aha.... I can see some massive holes in that one... plus Americans never do terrorism in their own country? Coff*FBI building*Coff....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 03:12
Quote: "They force your guns to have bright orange tips? Are you kidding me?"

Ummm... Mouse we have the same thing over here. Most states have laws saying that no one can sell a realistic toy gun.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 03:28
Talking of air travel, anybody on this?

http://www.airlineempires.com

It's incredibly good.

Here's the signup link

http://www.airlineempires.com/newuser.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:37:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:37:47