Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I Survived Hurricane Charley!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 12:07
That hurricane was POWERFUL...
Not as bad as Andrew in 1992 but my neighboor hood looked like a war zone this morning. Im just glad I got my power and internet backup.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/db_games/
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 12:12
We're out of the way of the hurricaines, but we did get about 45 seconds of driving rain over here. It bent a hollow metal weathervane we had stuck in the yard , that powerful. My mom and dad also drove through one of the fading wisps of Charley which very nearly drove them off the road.

Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 12:18 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 12:18
I didn't get hit by it.... I havent had a single hurricane..... Not a single earthquake over what.... magnitude 1? Ummm... the only turnadoes never reached near me, and weren't powerful.... No floods.... I myself havent had a fire yet....

Looks like I dont get many disasters where I am....

Horray, what would we do without you?

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
i live in foothills of the appalachians, so i don't get much bad weather. the mountains break it up, and we're pretty far inland.

though when agnes came up the chesapeake.. that was a bit of an issue.

thank fully charley won't be messing up my plans to go on vacation to the shore this week

OK enough of that damn DBP fanboy banner. i'm NOT a DBP fanboy in any way. i haven't used DBP in over a year, and i don't really plan on using it again.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 13:43
last year there was this HUGE fire where I lived...

Amist the Blue Skies...
Lzdude69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 14:18
I didnt get hit either, just barely missed St. Pete. Funny too, because everyone evacuated from here, to Orlando, them it hit orlando, and we got like, no rain, or anything.

I used to be alienman

Coming Soon: HexTournament, Quantum Tournament
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 15:10
Arizona has got to be the most dull state on Earth.

A hurricane would rock.......
The worst we had was last night, instead of doing our marching band show on the football field we had to do it in the auditorium since the colorguard's flags were being blown in different directions by moonson winds. The type of monsoon winds you go outside to bask in and enjoy.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 15:47 Edited at: 15th Aug 2004 15:48
Well, a forest fire can ruin your day and AZ has had plenty of those lately. Me, I just happen to live in tornado alley.
--
TAZ

Glad that you weathered the storm well, seems like they restored your electricity rather quickly to boot.

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 18:03
Here in the UK it's mentioned but hasn't been gone into in great detail. Only when I switched into FOX news for a laugh last night did I realise it was the most powerful for a decade.

Obviously it was powerful enough for the FOX animation crew to make a nice computer animation and some nice music, before the words "HURRICANE CHARLEY" (I assume charlie's already taken?) appeared on the screen.

Long story short, FOX News is camp and good luck anybody living in Florida

Imagine being a tourist at Disneyworld right now?!?

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 20:34
Here in brazil stuff doesn't get much worse than a rain storm. When I lived in El Salvador though, we went through hurricane mitch, a pretty strong earthquake, and we lived at the foot of a volcano that spouted smoke every day.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2004 23:10
lol...i was playing America's Army last night..and there was a guy there who lives in the area where the hurricane struck(tampa bay?)

anyway he was playing AA while the hurricane was raging outside his house...

"We make the worst games in the universe."
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 00:00
Hurricanes ? Never saw one ... how does it feel ?

- Mind the gap -
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 00:17
Hey DrakeX, I live in teh appalachian f00thills too.

Lets see, around here we have floods, fires, small earthquakes (the largest we've had is like a 4.5), and occasionally we get hit by the weakened hurricanes or tropical storms that have the strength to make it up to Pennsylvania.

The COOLEST thing that ever happened here was when we had a tornado form when one of the hurricanes got up here. It was like 8 miles from where I live, but we drove by there and all the trees were like inside eachother. Luckily, only 1 or 2 houses were destroyed (out of the possible 20 some. We live in the middle of nowhere ).

[center]
Rush owns--> www.Rush.com ---> I'm going to see them Aug. 7
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
Sparda
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 02:18
Hey! I live the Appalachian foothills too. That's odd, we get tornadoes all the time. Our school has tornado drills once a month. What a great way to waste time

Last year a tropical storm hit here. I saw someone selling bags of air in ziplock bags a few days later on eBay. "Warning: Do not open. Air inside bag may still be ferocious". Reminds me of the claymore warning. "Do not ingest"

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
i live in england. in liverpool. 'nuff said

http://johnsgames.dbspot.com
Z0MB135 W1LL C0M3 T0 E4T Y0UR 3Y35!
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 08:20
All we've had in michigan is rain rain rain and umm... did I say more rain. Nothing to bad has happend here.

Back from a long vacation too New Orleans

1tg46 is my name coding is my game.
Epimetheus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 08:45
Cant believe they're still opening schools in Collier County FL, I mean there are like 3000 people who still don't have power here!
Skeletor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 11:36
160,000 without power where I live... and you should see the gas stations. It looks like the end of the world or something.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/db_games/
The Dark Padawan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 00:16
All we have here In Upstate NY is weeks of rain and non stop
rain this whole summer

I saw a Million dollars I ran and tried to grab it then..................... I woke up ughh!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:27:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:27:50