Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Favorite part in any RPG ever!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 04:29
Apparently there are a lot of RPG fans around here, gathered from the amount of people wanting to make them. What was your favorite part in any RPG ever? Console or computer. Maybe something that you feel was very influential to the genre.

Mine is the trial in Chrono Trigger. Ever since then I have been much more careful of the little things I do in an RPG. That part showed the industry how interesting imersive plots are. After receiving such good feedback for it, in particular that scene, the industry completely rethought their plots!

Any one else?

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
TravisP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 05:00
I cant figure out what parti like of FF7 i like all of it!

Good thing everyone here is a figment of my imagination.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 06:50 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 06:50
the ending of zelda the windwaker that game was so cool and the ending really did it justice (unlike the endings of some other games i have played )

http://johnsgames.dbspot.com
Z0MB135 W1LL C0M3 T0 E4T Y0UR 3Y35!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 07:33
The ending of Gothic. Really blew me away.

Of course, adventure games tend to be more cinematic, and thus have more memorable specific moments ... final fantasy would be an adventure game. If not an 'interactive movie'.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 07:41
o_O. FF an adventure game? Blasphemy! FF is about aa pure an RPG as you can get. Zelda is another story however, although it can be seen as being remotely related to RPGs. Best part of RPG? Hmm, most of Secret of Mana really.

AMD Athlon XP2800+
GeForce FX5200 128MB
1024MB DDR 333MHz RAM
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 09:36 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 09:40
Well, that time Yeenoghu seduced the party's paladin* and fed the rest of the group human flesh and cursed wine was a hoot. That was a difficult one to explain to your deity.
--
TAZ

*He used an artifact to mask his evil. (Yeah, no CRPG can hold a candle to a human GM.)

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 10:38
FF3 when kefka says: Ahem there's SAND on my boots! And then does that awesome laugh after the guy cleans it off...what?

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 10:47
The first time I played D&D ever. Our two person party (one fighter and one cleric) headed down into a bugbear stronghold and were ambushed by about six of em. The cleric didn't survive, and the fighter left with a broken sword, but it was fun.

...or maybe the time when we fought the vampire after saving the mayors daughter in our second adventure.

They're both equally my favorite time in any RPG ever, what can I say?

Cheers,
Preston

[PS] D&D Forever!

Fear My Ugly Avatar and Out of Place Signature Image!
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
When Aeris is killed by none other than the great Sephiroth.
Yep, that's right, I killed her...
This is from FF7 of course

"I....I like rice?"
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 11:29
hmm...my favorite part of D&D was making the traps (I'm the DM).
Slimes came oozing out of the walls from every direction.

But, my favorite part of a console RPG would have to be from Wizardry 4: Heart of the Maelstrom when I got warped to the secret floor!

WWSD?
Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one whose little path would make me sad who's power is Satan. He'll give you give you 666. There was a little toolshed where he made us suffer sad Satan.
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 11:31 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 11:31
Sorry to say, but this is for Computer and Console RPGs only lol I may start a seperate thread for pen'n'paper once this one dies!

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 14:05
The best moment in an RPG ever for me would be in Final Fantasy: Adventure. Adventure is a GameBoy FF game that looks and plays like Zelda but is actually an RPG! Any Zelda fan should find a copy of this and play it it's really well done. So in the game, I got to the last level, the Mana Tree, and would level up outside the boss area. After a while when I killed one of the monsters it dropped a shield (they would only drop potions before). This shield is the most powerful in the game and is the only one that can deflect the last bosses fireballs. Apparently, there's also two more secret items that you can get and I might have to play that game again to get them.
jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 19:03
My favourite RPG of all time is Wizardry 8. Basically as it used Turn Base combat.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 19:36
Best RPG moment has to be in Morrowind when I looted my first city during the night - fantastic feeling.

Hahaha! Tremble in terror at the sight of my pulse cannons!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 23:10
Alundra on the PSX when you fall asleep and meet the little orphan girl. She runs away and you have to copy her moves to catch her - there's some really great puzzles in that game.

Tony Crowthers 'Captive', when you crush an ED209 under a huge steel door is a close second.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
DarkPhear
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 03:22
I'd say Phantasy Star I when you get to the top of "Baya Malay" tower, and the ending of Phantasy Star I, II and IV.

Cleber de Mattos Casali, game programmer.
DarkPhear is a full freeware RPG developed by me. You can download it and some game demos for free at my page: http://darkphear.cjb.net
BCRICH WARLOCK
Years of Service
User Offline
Everytime Link Holds a Random Object Over His Head And It floats Magically With The Music.
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 03:50
Quote: "the ending of zelda the windwaker that game was so cool and the ending really did it justice"
I really hated that ending, I mean, the whole point of all the zelda games was to save Hyrule, then in this one it's all gone. Plus that stupid cell shading

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 04:02
FF is an adventure game because you don't role play. D&D is the most classic role playing, and in that you make your own character and play the role of that character. That's roleplaying. Watching pre-made characters go through a pre-made plot and pre-made events to a pre-made ending is not a role playing game no matter how you look at it, sorry .

(The oldest role playing games on the computer were really more action-RPGs and computers didn't posses the technology to allow real freeform play. There are a lot of 'real' RPGs now though).

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 04:38
Quote: " FF is an adventure game because you don't role play"

You can´t realy say. I mean how can you say that. A role is a role. Whether you playing as a guy you created or a premade character, you´re still playing a role. In FF you´re playing the role of a group of people out to save the world in some way. Pre made or not premade has nothing to do with it. It´s a role with a story and your playing it so it must be a role playing game.

Jam on mother f**ker.
Libera tu mente y te liberaras.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "you don't role play"

Funny, I remember playing multiple people in FFVII.

Ausukusa :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 06:30
When I was DM'ing an AD&D group. They had just recently snuck past the guards and disarmed the traps in the beholder's lair... It went something like this...

DM(Me): You cautiosly peer around the corner into the dark, musky smelling cavern. Near the center of the area floats a 3 foot wide orb of flesh. Several eyestalks protrude from it's soft, plush body. Resting in the center of the orb is a large discusting eye mounted above a huge razor-toothed jaw. It appears to be chewing vigerously on something. What do you do?

PC: I poke it.

The computer isn't an addiction, its more of a mental and social dependancy.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 06:52
lol

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 06:59
Quote: "You can´t realy say. I mean how can you say that. A role is a role. Whether you playing as a guy you created or a premade character, you´re still playing a role. In FF you´re playing the role of a group of people out to save the world in some way. Pre made or not premade has nothing to do with it. It´s a role with a story and your playing it so it must be a role playing game."

By that argument, you 'play a role' in every single game out there. I'm playing the mystic commanding being in Age of Empires II, does that make it a role playing game? You're playing a pilot in space combat games, does that make them role playing games? No, it doesn't. Whatever the literal meaning of the individual words may be, role playing refers to a close focus game of some sort where you are playing a game around your character(s), not playing your character(s) around the game. The latter is exactly what Final Fantasy is.

Quote: "Funny, I remember playing multiple people in FFVII."

That has nothing to do with it .

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 10:50
That's a stupid argument because whenever you RP in general the story is already defined by the story teller/dungeon master. In FF you customize your characters and go through a story. How's that that much different from D&D? Yes, many "Japanese" RPGs are story based to the extent of having no replay value but so is almost any D&D campaign. You don't play the same campaign twice (usually). The combat and customization of characters is the same as any pen and paper RPG, maybe just a bit dumbed down, so there's no real reason how you could argue that FF isn't an RPG.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 11:03
Quote: "That's a stupid argument because whenever you RP in general the story is already defined by the story teller/dungeon master."

Two things-- you're wrong and it's only half the point. In the order I listed them: You're wrong because good dungeon masters shape the campaign around their player's choices and actions, not their own long-term plans, and it's half the point because half the point is creating a character to play instead of being given one.

Quote: "In FF you customize your characters"

You stick some attribute points and in some of the games customize their name, but it doesn't matter because the dialogue, while it has some 'choises', always goes the same and you have no control over the long-term plot.

Quote: "and go through a story. How's that that much different from D&D?"

Already explained.

Quote: "Yes, many "Japanese" RPGs are story based to the extent of having no replay value but so is almost any D&D campaign."

Something can be story based and still fluid, freeform, customizable. Gothic has a set beginning, middle, and end, but there are three distinct plotlines you can play through, optional side-quests, and plenty of events where you have three or more choises in what to do. That's role playing.

Quote: "You don't play the same campaign twice (usually). The combat and customization of characters is the same as any pen and paper RPG, maybe just a bit dumbed down"

The point is the choises you're allowed to make, which are zilch in the final fantasy games. I've played a good deal of them and I think the crowning choise of what to do was whether to be rude to somebody or not. And I went back and played through that again, and it went the same no matter what you said. That's not role playing.

Quote: "so there's no real reason how you could argue that FF isn't an RPG."

Diiiisproven !

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 11:27 Edited at: 17th Aug 2004 11:38
There's no rule in any gamebook I've seen that says "You must allow players to change the story." A RPG can have as linear or non-linear storyline as you want the players don't have to change the story. FF doesn't usually let you change it, but it's still an RPG. You still create a character give them that abilities that you want them to have and set out on an adventure. And, yes, your actions do make a difference in FF, at least in how you play it. You can go the way of spellcaster or a fighter. You can emphasize speed and agility or strength and accuracy. Your actions about your character control how the fight turns out and the actions of fights causes you to advance and add on to your character some more as well as finding artifacts and equipment that can allow your character to do stuff during battles that he couldn't normally.
Quote: "
By that argument, you 'play a role' in every single game out there. I'm playing the mystic commanding being in Age of Empires II, does that make it a role playing game?"

The difference here is that the emphasis of FF and any other RPG is on storytelling and customizing your character how you want him while AOE2 is on tactics and managing an empire. Is Doom an RPG? No. Yes, you do play a "role" of the Doom-guy but the point of the game is action versus creating a character and having him travel through a story.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 15:14
I like the classical definition of RPG, I like the whole D&D style. However, my favorite RPG moment ties into this argument.

I'm still working on FF8, so the best I've found is when you find the orphanage and that whole dealio plays out. Shows some beautiful work on plot.

If you notice in FF8 you can decide what Squall says, that's basic role playing. The characters have an opinion about how you should behave. I went back to it after a while and they responded to everything with, "Wow, I never imagined you saying something like that!", weird....guess I changed. If you play an RPG to your personality it should notice when your personality changes.

If you look at all the D&D pros their characters are nothing like them, they are entirely original personalities they put together through playing them over and over and getting a feel for how their character would feel if they were actually alive. Games like Final Fantasy are just like that except all the characters personalities are pretty much already laid down and you can personally impact their lives and change their mentality during your adventure.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: Project Starbuks
Sony stole our name!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 16:00
Liked the trial in Crono Trigger, I actually got them to find me innocent but that guy comes in and says oh well hes going to jail anyhow. I was pretty psyched for a minute there -_- That whole game was really good, lots of sidequests you can do at the end and the replay feature was really fun too. Beat that game so many times xD Rainbow equipment for all!

FF2 had a good storyline, kinda wish you could play Kain more as he was the coolest char IMHO. Was nice that a few of the characters kinda evolved (cept kain -_-) and got some new skills, like time actually passed in that game (was really good for the time it was made)

FF3 was awesome. Played it when I was like 6 and couldnt figure out what to do half the time. Couldnt figure out what to do when you first get Sabin so I kept training in that little area thinking I could only beat that guy if I had 1000+ hp points, then I discovered you just have to use the Blitz 'pummle' on him to kill him >_<

There werent too many amazing memorable moments in Secret of Evermore (was hoping it would be similiar to Secret of Mana but it wasnt ) but I did have a good time playing it.

Hmm trying to think of other SNES games....Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was a cool one. Kinda unique fighting system. On the world map there are nodes that you go to and fight, and in dungeons and what not you approach the monsters to engage in a battle. I liked that whole game, despite you coudlnt really get many allies (only one at a time, 3 total I think? Rubin, Phoe and some girl with a huge axe O_O)

Secret of Mana....AWESOME game. Loved playing it with my bro and dad when I was younger. Beat that game countless times. Great story, great replay value. That and PSO are the only multiplayer console rpgs that I really like. That game was just so awesome!

Those are most the console RPGs I played when I was younger. Played FF7 on the PC but I think pretty much everyone who played that game knows the good moments in it

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 16:17
Kentaree
Quote: "Hmm, most of Secret of Mana really."

Oh yes, Secret of Mana, greatest I ever played on the SNES. The second one didn't do the first one justice though.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF, 80GB HD

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 18:26 Edited at: 17th Aug 2004 18:33
so does that mean that playing the role of an army general makes all RTS's RPGs, or all car racing games cos ur playing the role of a driver?

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 20:54
Quote: "
Hmm trying to think of other SNES games....Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was a cool one. Kinda unique fighting system. On the world map there are nodes that you go to and fight, and in dungeons and what not you approach the monsters to engage in a battle. I liked that whole game, despite you coudlnt really get many allies (only one at a time, 3 total I think? Rubin, Phoe and some girl with a huge axe O_O)
"

That brings back memories (not all of them good), did you know that it was originally called FF USA because they gave us that game instead of the others originally because they thought Americans were too stupid to understand RPGs? There's your RPG trivia for the day. It was an oddly addictive game though.
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 23:20
Mouse: Let´s just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

On topic: Does Zelda count as a RPG? I know it isn´t but I haven´t played many RPGs... (Well I´ve played Morrowind but I´d clasify that as an ashtry more than a RPG)

Jam on mother f**ker.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 00:19 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 00:27
Final Fantasy gets the credit for great stories, but I've played 'em, it's nothing more than smoke, mirrors, cheesy melodrama that would make any veteran critic rip his beard out and no consistent reality. Morrowind, now... mmmmm. So much lovely backstory. There's the overlying conflict between the Dunmer and the Empire, the Imperial guilds and their conflicts with the Dunmer Tongs (Morag & Camoona Tong), the internal war against corruption in the Fighter's Guild, the conflicts between the Dunmer Great Houses, the conflicts between the Great Houses as a whole and the dissident Ashlanders, the Temple vs the Dissident Priests, and behind this wonderfully rich scene are complex prophecies, realistic traditions and socieites, sub-plots addressing racism and slavey, tens of thousands of words of written history, the epic and mysterious conflict under Red Mountain which nobody seems to really understand, and the mysterious dissapearance of the Dwemer. Oh, yes, of course you've also got three semi-insane demi-gods who may or may not have murdered you eons past, losing their grip over their land . And the cosmology of the world! So rich and detailed. Magic isn't 'just there', it's fully explained, and for those interested in digging deeper into the reality of Tamriel there's plenty of information about the conflicting duality of the Aedra and Daedra, the nature of the gods, etc etc. Mix in a beautifully complex yet simple statistic and skill system, a vast game world, great graphics, hundreds of quests unrelated to the main plot, and a good sense of humor, and you've got....

...a game that's unfortunatly lost on most people.

It's sad really .

FF is fine for most people; I'll take my epics. You do your thing ...

Edit-- I don't mean lost by people aren't intelligent enough to get it, by the way; I mean that people aren't used to having no 'baby wheels' to walk them through the game and thus don't discover such a wonderful and richly detailed epic. Or they just can't/won't take the time to (Morrowind certainly takes time).

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 00:42
Morrowwind was a great game, I need to find a copy of it since I gave the copy I was borrowing back to my friend. Although, I thought it was a pretty easy game to get into considering the amount of depth there was in the gameworld.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 00:48
I have to agree, if there was one flaw in the game balance, it was that it was too easy. The devs didn't work quite hard enough to keep powerful items out of the players' hands, I think. It balanced out a bit later on though, and mods that keep the game playable into the 30s, 40s, and beyond tend to be slightly more linear and thus better balanced.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 01:04
Yeah, the only other gripe I had with it was how big the world could be sometimes. I don't want to spend over 15 minutes to get from town 1 to town 2 just to sell some stuff.
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 01:28 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 01:30
You could use the public transport or one of those transporting spells. That´s what I did when I transfered my potion making equipment.
Basicle there´s a few reasons why I use it as an ashtry rather than a game.
1) The xbox version has more bugs than all the other xbox games put together.
2)The graphics couldn´t cope with any type of movement. The affects apeared to jump every so often and the amount of fog in some places make the N64 normal.
3) Whilst all that freedom was great when I wanted to get back to the story line I couldn´t find it. Whilst I know it didn´t want to spoon feed people I would have liked some diference between the main story and some side event.
4) The fighting was terrible. Whack, miss,miss, whack,miss. Untill one of the 2 people dies through boredom.
5)The engine looked bad against things I´ve seen in DBC. I was taking a slave somewhere and he got stuck in the wall! In fact getting an AI character from one town to the other without him getting stuck in a rock or something was a nightmare.
6)In the end the gameplay was reduced to materialistic stealing stuff,finding stuff and stealing a bit more.
Improve the fighting system, add some fmvs and improve the engine 10 fold and you´ve got a fantastic game but without those changes it´s very boring.

Jam on mother f**ker.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 01:35
It had FMVs .

I agree the fighting system could have used work.

But the engine was really fine... sure, there are some clipping and other minor glitches, but you get that in any game of that scale, period, moreso if it's 3d.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 02:05
Probably the next CRPG that I'll get will be Fallout 3. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the older generation of CRPGs. Side note, I tend to like hack and slash games like Dungeon Seige, Incubation, Chaos Gate, and Diablo. I wouldn't call them RPGs though.
--
TAZ

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 03:02
They're generally called Action-RPGs but there is very little roleplaying to them . Still quite fun though!

Incubation, now, that's more of a tactical strategy game... not really to my tastes, but I guess it was a pretty good game.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 03:06
In its day it was pretty good and I did enjoy the characters. It's a shame that games like X-COM never took a clue from Inc's style.
--
TAZ

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 12:54
Oh Mouse, you might be happy to know that Bethesda has released Elder Scrolls: Arena as freeware on their website, which for the uninformed is the game that started the Elder Scrolls series that culminated in the game we know as Marrowwind. I just hope they release Daggerfall as well because that was easily one of the best RPGs ever (PC Gamer had it as one of their top 50 greatest games of all time in 1997).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:37:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:37:13