Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Simple suggestion for DBpro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 06:37 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 06:53
I have been using DBpro for about a month now and I must say that I am a DBP Fanboy. If I could figure out how to get that banner on my sig, I would (i use the forums at work). But, I have an idea that I would love to see in an update:

At the beginning of your code, you could announce some variables. Maybe it could look like this:

Tap attack
Tap name$
Tap ObjAngle#

(Whereas "Tap" is the command, or something similar)

Then, when you type in that variable elsewhere in the program, it highlights another color, just like DB commands in DBP, just another color. That way, it would cut down on mis-spelled variables, which will always screw up a program, but usually will not give an error. This would be completely optional, though. You would not have to announce them, but they will not highlight.

Any body elsee think that this would be cool?

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
yes very nice idea

http://johnsgames.dbspot.com
Z0MB135 W1LL C0M3 T0 E4T Y0UR 3Y35!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 07:44
or until there is a proper Option Explicit, you could put your vars within a Type. When Type vars are mispelled the compiler will halt.

Type MyVars
FirstName as String
LastName as String
Age as Integer
EndType

global v as MyVars

v.FisrtName wont compile

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 - 65 FREE Functions * Click Logo
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 08:52 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 08:53
Hmmm, it seems like you can do that with the keyword.ini files already. In the editorkeywords folder create an empty text file called keyword_test.ini. Type in...

test=my_docs.html#test=*no parameters

Save the file and and open up the DBP editor. Type in...

test = 5
print test
wait key

It works and test will appear in blue. If you have a my_docs.html in the help folder you can even call up 'help' on your variable names.

The only downside that I can for see is that this keyword file is only loaded once. So, to refresh it in the middle of an edit, you would have to save your work, exit the editor, and re-open it.

If you want to go to that trouble, the option is available. Especially if you are organized enough to use it. Me, I like using a big UDT for a similar effect.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 09:02
That would add more code though. A better idea would be to highlight DIM-ed and GLOBAL variables. also, maybe constants and types in a different color.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 12:02 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 12:10
Andrew is right! I'm sure these other ways work, but they are much more work then simply adding in the function that i suggested. MaybeI am just spoiled with DBp and the highlighted code lol

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 12:08
Sound like an editor issue, though it would be great, they are no longer supporting the default IDE. Maybe Twilight or Blue IDE could put this in for us?

Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 12:18 Edited at: 16th Aug 2004 12:19
Yep it's an editor issue, and sine the official editor isn't supported anymore you probably wont see this anytime in the future. So your best bet is to convince the author of another IDE to put this in.

This sig has been dullified!
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 12:29
Ther is no more support for DBpro?!?!?!?

JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 12:32
The official editor for DBP, not DBP itself
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 12:58
Ohhhh. Hmmm. Guess I am lost then. I've only been into DB for a month or so. I thought that the editor was DBP. I knew that there was a second editor for DBC. One that would work in Windows...

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 16:31
Both programs, DB and DBP are just exes that compile. Then there's an editor shipped with the packages to provide an easy way to code. There's alternative IDES for both DB and DBP.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:24:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:24:23