Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / AI programs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 16:51
I was wondering if anyone around here has authored any simple AI programs that people can use with DB (DBpro in particular). Anything like Nuclear Glory dll, a 3rd party program, or just some lines of code. Does not matter if it is free or not if it is good and easy to use. Any help is appreciated!

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 17:25
What you are saying is kinda senseless.

Most games will have their specific A.I., you can not compare the A.I. for a pong-pad with the A.I. of a racing game or an FPS.
Even different rpgs have different A.I.
So, if you really want Artificial intelligence, can you please tell for what kind of game ?

- Mind the gap -
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 17:26
Neofish was writing an AI pugin a while ago, it allowed you to write separate scripts I think.

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Damokles is right. Ai is just a bunch of actions that are done if you reach specific conditions - it can be achieved using if/then statements, for example:
if ai_hp < 30 then gosub run_away else gosub attack
That line above can be coded in many ways, you can't really compare even if they do the same thing. The same goes for any DB programs, they can feel the same (like comparing 2 FPSs), but they are all coded differently.

"I....I like rice?"
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2004 21:57
@David, You got the wrong F15H! I am making the plugin!

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 00:09
My answer of the day is that AI is technique and not code. For example, TKF15H is not giving you the AI, but a method for implementing your own via the plugin.

Understanding the principles of AI: A* path finding, state machines, flocking, influence mapping, etc. will enable you to create your own problem specific solutions. To that end, I strongly suggest sites with articles and essays on AI such as Amit's.

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 00:28 Edited at: 17th Aug 2004 01:05
Good answer of the day, Zircher.
[edit]
Though, I'm concidering the posibility of making my plugin capable of more than just scripting. Neural Networks are the main concern after scripting, coming in version 2 of the plugin.
Something like this maybe? http://openai.sourceforge.net/images/screenshotV0_2.jpg
but without the IDE. All properties will be set from within the DBP code.
[/edit]

Here's another link that could be usefull:
http://www.ai-techs.com/index.html

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 02:13
How does a nureal network actually work (in simple terms)?

~It's a common mistake to make, the rules of the English langauge do not apply to insanity~
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 02:21
In simple terms? Yeah right, like that's possible...

~Hawkeye
GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 02:21
A neural network is a collection of nodes with connections to other nodes. Data travels from an input node to an output node through different connections between the middle nodes. As it goes through the connection a different calculation is done on the data and sent to the next nodes in the sequence. At each node a certain calulation is done to normalize the data before it's sent back out. Neural networks are useful for fuzzy logic systems and pattern recognition. Hope this helps!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_network
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 02:23
Sorry, I wrote this late at night (in the US). What I meant was exactly what some of you people mentioned. Scriptable AI programs for general 3-D games. I know EatMuchPie is working on one as well known as Checkpoint Router. Things of that nature.

How is it coming TKF15H?

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 02:25
I was just trying to make some enemy's in a sample program walk around in my little map, but they just run around in little circles, and I'm getting really disheartened, as I am having so much trouble with it!

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 02:26
Quote: "David, You got the wrong F15H! I am making the plugin! "

Lol, too confusing

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 03:45
Quote: "How is it coming TKF15H?"

Painfully. Gives me a headache after 5 minutes of coding.
Other than that, it's progressing slowly. I'm working on the scripting part of it ATM. Though, I'm moving to a new place this week so I haven't had much time. My room is in even more chaos than normal.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:34:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:34:25