Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Making levels Easily

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 00:27
If I had a load of objects that I have designed myself that do things(ie. moving platforms and stairs) do you think it would be better to design a program where I can place my objects easily or just position them using db code? How hard is it to write level making programs? Im probably a long way off from doing lots of my own levels but im just asking so that I know whats the best way to go in the future.
Thanks
Yum! Yum! Yum! Yum!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 00:31
To position an object, a lot of people use guess and check. What I do, is go into Free Flight mode with the camera, and run a code that

Print Camera Position X()
Print Camera position Y()
Print camera Position Z()

Then I go to the place where I want the objects placed, and copy down the coordinates shown.

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 01:06
It depends on the complexity and extendability of your levels. If you want really complex levels, and you want others to be plugged in later, it would be best to make a level designer which outputs to a useful format that you can read in DB. However you could spend too long on our level designer and not get round to finishing the game...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 13:10:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 13:10:10