Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Question about mods (more of a rant, actually)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 08:03 Edited at: 17th Aug 2004 08:30
< edited because I can't put it into words without offending some of the nice people on here >

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 08:27
Quote: "But I see the same "hawks" who sit there, refreshing the page every 5 minutes, looking for fresh newb flesh. When a newb posts a thread about a game they want to work on, the "hawks" swoop down in groups and start pecking, one after the other, until the newb either gives up or goes away. In my opinion, those "hawks" should be banned because they're being unreasonable and very unfriendly."

You see it's very hard for us "hawks" not to "peck" newbies, when they steal work from other people and claim thier own, refuse to listen to constructive advice and act ignorent, or insult one of our fellow hawks.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 08:29
Yeah, I feel really bad about the rant, I think I will edit it. I apologize if I offended anyone, but seriously, the mods here are doing a WAY better job nowadays I've noticed

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 08:37
It's alright. You can call me whatever the hell you want. Just don't insult cats in front of me.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 08:40
I think it's dangerous to talk about cats around these forums, for we've many cat lovers here.

Let this be your warning.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 08:58
Well yea, a cat is a game developer's best friend. I mean no dog is gona site calmly with you purring for long hours into the night with the occasional licking.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 09:02
But you've got to admit, some of the forum members starting attacking that certain somebody in the WIP forums right off the get-go. It wasn't until afterward we discovered that he had plagiarized the storyline.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 09:42
Quote: "Well yea, a cat is a game developer's best friend. I mean no dog is gona site calmly with you purring for long hours into the night with the occasional licking."

It's rather the other way around. Now I love cats, in general, but you won't find dogs stepping on your keyboard and screwing your code up, pawing your wiring, sleeping on your monitor, scratching your desk chair, etc. And my dog actually does patiently wait into the long hours of the night for me .

Quote: "But you've got to admit, some of the forum members starting attacking that certain somebody in the WIP forums right off the get-go. It wasn't until afterward we discovered that he had plagiarized the storyline."

I don't know the actual event, but yeah, some people are very aggressive. On the other hand, newbies are rarely realistic, and I find that when they are realistic, they don't get attacked. If someone's aiming for the sky with a ridiculously huge project maybe they need to be taken down a notch.

Then again, I grew out of that phase back in the 'golden days' of the forums, where a lot of people were supportive of my ridiculous ideas , and I didn't really have to learn the 'hard way' to discover that one has to be a realist. Two sides to every coin.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 11:28 Edited at: 17th Aug 2004 11:29
Quote: "It's rather the other way around. "

Not true will all dogs. You cant sit with em all night. Gota walk em, feed em, let em do thier stuf etc. While with cats, they don't walk, and if they do, it's usually at 50 mph. They eat as much as half a chicken, and they have a special box for private stuff.

(Unless you have a cat like me who throws up everyday)

Now what were we talking about again? /:

robo cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 21:28
Don't ever insult cats!

If you do I will be forced to obliterate you with my pulse cannons!

Hahaha! Tremble in terror at the sight of my pulse cannons!
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 22:18
Well, I've already stated my case about wanting to take a baseball bat to one of the neighborhood cats. I'm cool with all the rest, but I still feel that the owners are at fault for letting their cats roam. Anything that preys upon my pets on my land is fair game for termination. Swing away.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 22:24
Quote: "owners are at fault for letting their cats roam"

And how, precisely would you stop a roaming cat ? In addition wouldn't you be in offense of animal protection laws if you did anything (which you would be here) ?

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 22:45
Cats are meant to roam. It's cruel-- or sometimes neccessary, but still not right for them-- to force them to stick in a yard or worse yet a house. If there's a problem with them hunting your pets, warn the owners.

Our cat Shonan's a real hunter... she stalks, kills, and eats pigeons. The bones, the feathers, everything. She's not much bigger than one either

Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 23:18 Edited at: 17th Aug 2004 23:19
One of my cats hunts down things just for the fun of playing and killing it... And then sometimes she leaves a little gift for us...

The other cat is sadly not allowed to exit the house... If you saw this cat, you'd know why. That cat is definatly a house cat.
Last time we let him outside on a leash he ran into a bush and almost chocked himself to death...

Plus if the two cats ever met, the other one would kill him on the spot. One hates the other, the other doesnt care.

Wait... this was a post about hawks....

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 01:21 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 01:21
Here are mine! (pics taken with my shiny new digital camera)

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 01:35 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 01:37
I hate cats. My german shepard, on the other hand, loves playing catch with them.
*kitten falls on roof*
kitten rolls off, and before he gets the chance to stand up again...
*kitten gets launched high into the air by a playfull doggy*
*kitten falls on roof*
etc.

[edit]
I expect an army of angry cats at my door after telling that true story.
So does my dog.

GothOtaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 01:48
Maybe we should rename this thread to be "Rant about kitties" or something.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 02:47
Oh well, if you can't beat the thread hijackers, join 'em!

My sister's old cat Tigger Moffat was so proud after killing his first bat that he brought it inside and hid it under the couch for us to discover and enjoy at a later time.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 03:07
Quote: "*kitten falls on roof*
*kitten gets launched high into the air by a playfull doggy*"
Those cats are pretty weird, if a dog thew around any cat I know then you'd have to add an extra step: *Cat lands on dogs face, claws first*

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 03:12
Quote: " Oh well, if you can't beat the thread hijackers, join 'em!"

Just ask - I have no problem with deleting off-topic posts if requested ... now, what was your original post about?

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 04:58
This thread doesnt really have a topic.
We aren't hijacking anything.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 05:05
Quote: "now, what was your original post about?"

I am dismayed at the "hawks" who prey on fresh newb flesh rather unfairly. I understand that some newbs don't read the WIP rules and don't post screenies and plan large Halo/MMORPGs, but some of the attacks are rather distasteful.

Are certain mods assigned to certain forum topics or do they float around randomly? I feel that there needs to be some extra pressure put on some of the "hawks" to get rid of the holier-than-thou attitude.

Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
@Megaton
Here's a modified pic of your cat:

(Modified in texture maker in about a minute)

-Ilya
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 05:28
Quote: "Are certain mods assigned to certain forum topics or do they float around randomly? I feel that there needs to be some extra pressure put on some of the "hawks" to get rid of the holier-than-thou attitude."

Nope, we're not assigned to any particular topic.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 06:15
Quote: " I feel that there needs to be some extra pressure put on some of the "hawks" to get rid of the holier-than-thou attitude"

Me too. There are a few guys here that seem to think that the rules don't apply to them. It has got better over the past week, but there is still a way to go.

Unfortunately, we Mods don't always get the chance to read every post, so if anyone sees things getting out of hand, or people bullying others, feel free to email me or the other Mods privately - As well as deleting off-topic posts or locking threads, I'm also quite willing to hand out 24 hour bans where they are needed.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 06:22
I have no idea whether it's implemented into v3 or not, but a 'Report Moderator' button would help .

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 06:35
Anyway back on topic ... or is it off topic ... I can't remember now - but here it is anyway LEAVE US CATS ALONE!!!

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 08:59
Quote: "*Cat lands on dogs face, claws first*"

kitty was pretty beat up. Semi-conscious. Didn't have a chance.
that and the fact that the dog would often get out from below and we'd hear a *thud*.
I had a Spaniel that did the same thing with 5 baby rabbits. He got a good scolding for that and got sent to bed without any tea.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 09:05
Maybe my pets are just weird, but my cat would kill your dog if it tried that. And my rabbit would, well try and screw your dog.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 09:45
Sorry mods, can you please lock this thread? I hate to see my rant getting bumped when I've already received a good response from you.

Thanks

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 09:45 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 09:48
Quote: "And how, precisely would you stop a roaming cat ? In addition wouldn't you be in offense of animal protection laws if you did anything (which you would be here) ?"

Actually, he said they were preying on his land. In my area, if someone's pet is causing problems on your land, you have the right to kill them, as long as it is not torture.

Around here, all animals have to be on a leash, inside, or in a fence. I think it is that way all over the US (probably a lot of Europe as well).

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 10:51
Quote: "Around here, all animals have to be on a leash, inside, or in a fence. I think it is that way all over the US"
Then why are they still importing cats to such an evil place? Cats NEED to roam, or they get REALLY pissed.

Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 10:53 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 10:56
I thought that 'leash law' only applied to dogs because of the recent attacks?(At least in Illinois it is) Because if it applied to all animals then I have to leash my iguana when I go outside.

This sig has been dullified!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 10:54
I'm in Manchester, New Hampshire, U. S. of A., and cats are allowed to roam free. Our two scour the whole block in search of things to terrorize. And it's not legal to kill them either .

Sir Spaghetti Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 12:09 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 12:10
In most larger areas ther is a leash law...

It's hardly enforced, but yes it is for dogs and cats, and reall all pets!

"I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed."
-Jerome K. Jerome(1859-1927),Writer
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 12:32
Quote: "I'm in Manchester, New Hampshire, U. S. of A., and cats are allowed to roam free. Our two scour the whole block in search of things to terrorize. And it's not legal to kill them either"

But if they go missing after terrorizing the lawn gnomes...

WWSD?
Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one whose little path would make me sad who's power is Satan. He'll give you give you 666. There was a little toolshed where he made us suffer sad Satan.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 13:21
heh... mouse, one day when you find your cat squished on the pavement, well, let's just say, good luck finding out who did it

As for manticore.. you are quite wrong. Cats need a place to roam, yes, but a cat that's been inside all it's life will not miss the outdoors, in fact, would come back home after it got hungry. As well as being quite dangerous for a cat to be outside due to other cats and animals, as well as people.

I've had cats. My one cat used to dart outside, but after he was out, he'd just slow down, and allow me to pick him up and place him back inside. He never pawed at the door or anything like that. He was just curious. And he's still living quite a happy life, though living in an apartment building now, I can't keep him with me

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 13:28
Quote: "As for manticore.. you are quite wrong."
Well most cats DO go out side once in a while. And they like it, I mean it would be great to be a cat outside. Go out side, hurt some dogs, hunt some rabbits(run away if it's horny), go eat a bird(yum!).

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 13:28
Heh, I had some outdoor cats before. Cats are so curious it's funny. You let them indoors and all of a sudden there life goal is to sneak inside your house again.

Vice versa on my neighbors side though. You open the door to come in and the cats are waiting to make a fast break outside.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:28:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:28:18