Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Prepare For The First Person Shooter Creator!!! Save up dough, if your a kid bleed your parents dry now!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 17:59 Edited at: 17th Aug 2004 18:01
Prepare For The First Person Shooter Creator!!! Save up dough, if your a kid bleed your parents dry now!!!
I can't wait for fpsc! i saved $100 dollars for this. Lets talk about game design on it. from what i have heard it is BETTER than dbp!!! So I will make a game based in a futuristic space station! ok 40 windows all through out it, each of them the rule will be set if broken die, duh, unless you have a space suit on. You will start in a control room and work down to the escape bay 66 levels away. Intensly long play! It will be co-op and death match, if they support human vs human. You are tring to catch a genius who just figured out how to blow up your spacestation!! But, he is not a nerdy villian, he wears a combat suit, armed with latest tech.(it is only 2007(Bush Won election for U.S. Presidency and we are outta Irak!!)) Post Ideas...

I Will Host Your game at my site!!!
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 18:06
uhm. yes. I like food too.

| Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue. |
Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
you sure you posted in the right place?

Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 18:15 Edited at: 17th Aug 2004 18:16
Have People just STOPPED LIKING FPS AND GAME CREATION ALL TOGETHER skull

The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 18:45
I decided not to answer when you said this:
Quote: "Bush Won election for U.S. Presidency and we are outta Irak!!))"

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok well I'm just conservitive but, that will not be implemented in any way (I believe both parties have rights yadadada) so please awnser oh and people that post just have to assume what features it has..

The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 19:13
Ok, my answer is yes, i'm planning on buying it.

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 19:21
Well I doubt it'll be better than DBPro, considering it's written in DBPro - by the time we have all the features of Lee's development version, FPSC will not be able to do anything that DBPro can't, and DBPro will obviously be faster because of the reduced workload.

FPSC is for people who can't make FPS games with DBPro, and I'm looking forward to it - I think my brothers will love it, and it should be freaking huge because there's a lot of demand for this product already. It should broaded the user base of DBPro too - once people realise that those cool FPS games are actually made from a BASIC application, the smarter ones will check out DBPro too. IIRC there will be useful features in FPSC for DBPro developer, like maybe world support - being able to use FPSC as a level design tool should be possible YAY!!!.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 19:30
Not doubt he's just read about it and gone wild. He's also posted in my Merc 2 topic, advising that I use FPSC creator instead (my guns 'suck').

Over my dead body

Quote: "it is only 2007(Bush Won election for U.S. Presidency and we are outta Irak!!)) "

Two things that I find very unlikely and off topic

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 19:49
BTW is anyone else keeping up with the diaries?

Lee's now an alcoholic studenty type who likes lumpy milk in his tea and starves himself for entire days.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
well still they will probably eventually come out with a line of Creator series, like 3rd person, flight simulation so on. And your guns were no the best so to speak. and I discovered fpsc when it came out i just forgot

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 20:08
I doubt that, everyone plays FPS games - they're the obvious choice for a game creation package - DBPro is there for everything else. I think if anything, they'll update FPSC alongside DBPro.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
Scfi has had a recent big success as well as 4x, only a unworthy gamer wouldn't know That..or would they

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 20:16
Quote: "And your guns were no the best so to speak"

Well they're from TGC, and I expect their source to be the same as the model source for FPSC.

Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
well the textures any-way, do you program in dbc or pro

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 20:20
GH,
Going by 3 years using DB and following the progess of TGC - NOT current gaming trends, I think it's safe to say Afterburner Creator will not see the light of day .

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
hey david did you incorparate multiplyier in M:R

Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
Until I git Delphi and my 3d max!MUHAHA (I'm much better at C++ for some reason)

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 20:44
Quote: "I doubt that, everyone plays FPS games - they're the obvious choice for a game creation package - DBPro is there for everything else. I think if anything, they'll update FPSC alongside DBPro."

Obvious choice ? Well, I see anyother : MMORPG. Almost every Newbie that posts in the Team request wants to make a MMORPG. I'm sure people would buy it, many people would get it, een if their game will never be known.

- Mind the gap -
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 20:54
There's a reason why there are no real MMORPG creators - consider how much work it would be. While most teams take years to write those games, can you imagine how long it'd take Lee and Mike to write a creator to create those games?. I can see your point, but maybe RPG, not MMORPG.

The thing is, take your average gamer, and ask him what type of game he'd like to make - which is more likely:

1) Something like half life or Q3.
2) An MMORPG.

In the general gaming circles, most people won't know what MMORPG stands for, let alone want to make one.

There is GTA clones too - but the important thing is that a fraction of the people here actually do anything, writing a FPS is something you could do over a weekend with some buddies using FPSC, and that's where the money is - standalone games that can be created quickly and simply, no other genre could fit that quite so well as FPS.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 20:56
Quote: "hey david did you incorparate multiplyier in M:R"

No, too hard :p

btw, the "Edit post" button is your friend

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 00:01
FPSC is only going to be "better" than DarkBasic Pro because it allows easy creation of FPS games. I may get it, it would be neat to have since it shoots out DarkBasic source code. I could then modify this code to make a game thats not only a FPS.

GameHost, why dont you take the time to type a sensible message next time. This isnt an AOL chatroom. And I dont think people want their games hosted by you when they could easily get free hosting from Jimmy...

[center]
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 05:19 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 11:50
I dunno, one wouldn't be surprised if TGC produce more RAD styled game creations tools in the future. Styles like Racing Games, Beat'em ups, shooters and Rpg's come to mind as being fairly builder friendly.

I'm a tempted to offer PlayBasic in plugin form. Something like that, would allow DbPro app's to have embedded (compiled) scripting/plugs ins etc.. That way any basic programmer could write them. Which would be the ideal basis for building some Rad styled tools.

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice! Play Basic V2.21 (Out Now!)
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 06:30
Quote: "BTW is anyone else keeping up with the diaries?"

Sure am. I hope Lee isn't "researching" Doom 3 too much if you know what I mean.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 07:09
Quote: "I'm a tempted to offer PlayBasic in plug form. Something like that, would allow Dbpro app's to have embedded (compiled) scripting/plugs in etc.. That any basic programmer could write. Which would be the ideal basis for building Rad styled tools."

"Pleeeeease"

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 07:11
Quote: "Lee's now an alcoholic studenty type who likes lumpy milk in his tea and starves himself for entire days."

Probably explains why he has trouble spelling...

Come to the UK Convention on the 23rd & 24th of October
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 07:15
I THOUGH he was a good speller

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 07:18
And the grammical structure could be better too...

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 07:48
Am I the only person here who isn't looking forward to FPSC. What about the people that pour blood, sweat and tears (not literally I hope) into coding an FPS in DB only to have Johnny no one come along and make a similar game, in half the time, with half the effort.

Formely code2kill
To tell you the truth, I'm just glad I DON'T enjoy playng The Sims.
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 11:12 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 11:13
Im sure what you can code in DB/DBP will beat anything FPSC can crank out. FPSC wont have memblocks or file access(which rules out a built-in level editor for games). FPSC is built for indoor environments(No terrains for you!). And your not gonna be able to tweak your game code to add that little game shine like you could in DBP. You won't be able to optimize your code so however slow your game is, thats how its always gonna be.

But i just might buy it to make quick games for my own entertainment when I want to play something new.

This sig has been dullified!
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 11:49
I can do teh FPS in 30 minutes. Who needs FPSC?

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 12:03 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 12:04
Duh, do you read the newsletters, It CAN SAVE IN .DBP. Plus In-editor level maker!! Means that maps are easly made!! No load bsp command for me!!

Who cares for terrain in VERSION 1!! Version 2 will support 2 times as much!! Hehe.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 12:30 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 12:31
Quote: "Duh, do you read the newsletters, It CAN SAVE IN .DBP. Plus In-editor level maker!! Means that maps are easly made!! No load bsp command for me!!

Who cares for terrain in VERSION 1!! Version 2 will support 2 times as much!! Hehe"

I suggest you wait until its finished before you get too excited. Even with FPSC, such a game won't be done in 5 minutes.

Firstly even with RAD (visual) tools, designing good levels can take quite a while. Secondly, you would have to create the media that you needed (3D models, textures and so on - there is only so much that you can scrounge from DarkMATTER)

The product is far from complete at this point in time, and its a poor idea to tempt fate, saying that a product will have feature X or Y if it hasn't actually been done yet. For example, the whole multiplayer side of things has yet to be written.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 14:02
Quote: "Am I the only person here who isn't looking forward to FPSC. What about the people that pour blood, sweat and tears (not literally I hope) into coding an FPS in DB only to have Johnny no one come along and make a similar game, in half the time, with half the effort. "

i agree, when fps comes out alot of newbs will be flodding the tgc forums posting stuff like

"Look at this awsome fps"
"Halo Retro Come and see"
"Best looking fps ever made"
"NEWBIE PROGRAMMER FIRST GAME A AWSOME FPS"

when they dont know what programming is really like, time effort and so on.

Quote: "I suggest you wait until its finished before you get too excited. Even with FPSC, such a game won't be done in 5 minutes.

Firstly even with RAD (visual) tools, designing good levels can take quite a while. Secondly, you would have to create the media that you needed (3D models, textures and so on - there is only so much that you can scrounge from DarkMATTER)

The product is far from complete at this point in time, and its a poor idea to tempt fate, saying that a product will have feature X or Y if it hasn't actually been done yet. For example, the whole multiplayer side of things has yet to be written."

i als agree with rob, it will still take time, but they are still arnt really game programmers cause they are basicly taking pre written code and pacing it together. and then when they finally get feed up getting laughed at and flamed they are going to try out dbc and dbpro and start stealing other peoples code cause there arnt use to writting it them selfs.

well i have a cramp in my hand so THE END

Or is it o_0

amd athlon 3000 +333fsb||3.0 ghz||1.5 gb DDR PC3200 RAM||Nivida fx 5200 256 mb video card||200 gb hard drive||
http://www.Veonite.com
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 14:22
Quote: "and then when they finally get feed up getting laughed at and flamed they are going to try out dbc and dbpro and start stealing other peoples code cause there arnt use to writting it them selfs.
"
OMG! Your right, we have to stop TGC from releasing this. I'll kill Mike. Whatever, kill lee. and Jimmy, stand next to Rich and take that paper bag off your head(j/k).

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually I can program in blitz c C++ and some dbp for examples.. besides I have milkshape, and after I find it, if i do, I will have my good old 3d max. so modelling won't be a problem, and hince dbp I can edit the source code produced with dbp to make Awsoeme Code!! Plus from what it says it will have a full intergrated collision system or so says newsletters....

Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 15:54
wtf! Rob! hello

Create or Play? You choose!
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 17:42
Some people are stupid...

DBP Fanboy is a Unregistered trademark of ReD_eYe uninteractive, no rights reserved.
http://redeye.dbspot.com/fanboy.html
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 18:04
Deja-Vu like a mother*****r...

The same comments came out when T3DGM was released.

Listen, FPSC is not for you, it's for people who don't necesserily want to code. I know tons of people who want to make their own games, in the old days they'd use SEUCK - these days there's not that much in the way of quality game creator software (I don't consider DBPro as a game creater, tis a language). Not everyone has the right kind of brain to even learn coding, in fact where I'm from, a coder is about as rare as chicken teeth. That's before I start mangling on about the time it would take to learn DBPro to the stage where making an FPS is a possibility.

The success of FPSC could secure TGC's future for years and years, which means; whether you like it or not - FPSC could end up as a higher priority than DBPro in the long run. I don't mind just as long as there is a long run.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 18:09
I personally am looking forward to FPSC. Not only does it mean I can get my friends interested in game creating, sometimes I just don't want to write pages of code and just want a quick solution

Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Duh, do you read the newsletters, It CAN SAVE IN .DBP. Plus In-editor level maker!! Means that maps are easly made!! No load bsp command for me!!

Who cares for terrain in VERSION 1!! Version 2 will support 2 times as much!! Heh"

First, you're right, I missed that Q&A about exporting the source code. But if I read that correctly, It doesn't export the entire source code.

Second, I meant in-game level editor. Its obviously gonna have an in-editor level editor.(As it should)

This sig has been dullified!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 23:36
I'm hoping Lee/Mike will be able to demo the FSPC at the convention.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 23:59
You'd better record it on video for us who can't make it if they do .

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 00:01
Quote: "You'd better record it on video for us who can't make it if they do"

I dont know if anyone is bringing a video camera this time (I dont have one unfortunately)...

Which reminds me - I never did get the video of last years convention...

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 00:02
Not sure if anyone did... I heard about a 700mb file being up on RGT's servers at one point, but I had 56k at the time , and I never heard about it after that. It's probably gone permanently with RGT. Too bad really...

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 00:13
Indeed - never saw it unfortunately...

I'll have to see if someone will bring a camcorder...

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 00:22
There was mention of a free AVI recorder that simply saves out your DX output to an AVI file - that'd be ideal, just distract him long enough to record some gameplay . I'll see if I can find the link.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 00:34
Interesting...

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 01:00
Quote: "what i have heard it is BETTER than dbp!!!"

I somewhat doubt that.

The 3d chat is coming...
In the meantime, come in the IRC. Ask me for details!!.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
DBP is a programming language. FPSC is more or less click-and-play. They aren't even comparable.

Ausukusa :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:29:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:29:49