Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / So, how rich are old Lee, Mike, and Rich?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2004 23:53
Teehee... This topic is COOL because its like the OPPOSITE of the other one.

But seriously, list all the products that you bought from TGC, and how much they cost you (if you can remember). I know I bought DarkBasic Pro for like $85, plus Shipping and Handling.

That makes them $85 richer minus the cost of the CD, and the packaging. Oh yeah, money was also spent on advertising DarkBasic, because thats how I found out. And not to mention the cost of the servers that keep these boards (and the site) lag free.

[center]
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 00:01
We buy our copies of DBPro from the publisher (FastTrak) on mass and then sell them via our site, so its not a case of "deduct the cost of the CD", it's actually a more significant amount of money than that!

What would be interesting is calculating how much the publishers actually make for doing, well.. not so much really.

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 00:11
Watch it, Rich, even the newbs have ears .

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 01:02
I can't remember how much hard cash I've given TGC over the years, probably around £30, or whatever I ended up paying for DB (it was a real pain to get hold of a copy).

I won DBPro in the RGT compo, and SoundMATTER in the last compo, and a freebie copy of T3DGM for beta testing. I suppose you could call me a typical skinflint Scottish git . My money is better spent on coder fuel than actual programs and suchlike. I will be buying FPSC though.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 03:01
Unless you win that as well

~Hawkeye
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 05:41 Edited at: 18th Aug 2004 05:42
And with some of the downloadable programs such as Exgen were not created by them and they just upped the price and put it on the site and give the creator some dough out of every sale(or at least that is how I understand it).

Back from a long vacation too New Orleans

1tg46 is my name coding is my game.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 06:24
I hope they are rolling in it. They deserve it.

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 06:37
here here!

Create or Play? You choose!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2004 23:11
Quote: "And with some of the downloadable programs such as Exgen were not created by them and they just upped the price and put it on the site and give the creator some dough out of every sale(or at least that is how I understand it)."

Oh how wrong you are. None of our 3rd party titles sell for a single penny more than the actual author sells them for on their own web sites.

- Oscar Wilde
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the people who made the software only get about 60%.

-Ilya
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 02:24
RICH OWNED 1tg46

Anyway, thats interesting. So if I made something so l337 and awesome and asked you to put it on the site, would I have to pay? I assume so, but I guess for all the views It'd be getting, it would be worth it.

[center]
Come to #coding. We promise we wont kick you!
DISCLAIMER: Promises may not actually be upheld.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 03:08
Quote: "I think the people who made the software only get about 60%"

It varies, but in comparison try going to a branded publisher (Focus, FastTrak, any games company you can think of, etc) and try to get above 20% and see how quickly they laugh you out of the door.

Quote: "So if I made something so l337 and awesome and asked you to put it on the site, would I have to pay?"

Would you have to pay us to sell your 'leet' program? Hell no! All of our 3rd party titles retail under non-exclusive deals (i.e. we sell them and the authors can sell on their web sites too, but only for the same price). Some authors decide not to bother selling anywhere else because we bring in enough business for them, but that is their choice. If you've got a killer app, over time we can make you quite a lot of money - simple as that.

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
eat much pie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 04:19 Edited at: 19th Aug 2004 04:20
Excellent. I'm currently making a route-finding program (sort of like a replacement for A*, but more functions and far quicker). http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=32596&b=5 for more info and a beta download for the editor if anyone wants to take a look. Once I've gotten this finished, would you be interested in putting it up on TGC?

Cheers!

[edit]
Better info on my website. Link is in sig
[/edit]

Checkpoint Router: my very own AI routing program: http://eatmuchpie.dbspot.com
Sam Wright

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:27:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:27:21