Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Just a second thought

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 02:49
Guys,
you already know where I stand in the topic I started, entitled 'Just A Word On Racism, The Street Runs BOTH Ways

I take credit (or blame) for
starting the thing with guns too, but while we are on the subject:

Haggis Man is quick to point out the ineffectual gun laws of the U.S. and the resulting deaths because of the gun laws, without realizing that it's people who kill.......

SO I ask you now, Haggis Man-
you have GANGS in Europe, right?
And they have GUNS too, right?

So how many people in Europe have been killed by armed gang members? How many law abiding citizens have died as a result of being in the wrong place at the right time, or robbed for drug money?

It seems you are only tyring to kill the headache by cutting off the head (America's head, that is)...

YOUR country has no problems at all with murder by armed suspects, right? But I guess that's OK as long as you can blame America to disguise the flaws of YOUR laws, which I will now point out-

Traditionally, British police officers do NOT carry pistols, (last I heard, it may be different now), but think of how many times, a Brit officer put his life on the line when confronting an armed suspect, knowing he has to take him down WITHOUT any real way to defend against a suspect ready to blow him away.

So how 'perfect'are YOUR laws that a police officer has no way to defend himself, when confronted with a life threatening situation? Not everyone goes down when hit with mace or pepper spray, many hardcore criminals are used to it.

And what about IRA terrorists-how did they get THEIR guns? You can't deny that Britian's past was filled with terror attacks by IRA loyalists pissed that you tried to take THEM over the way you did the U.S.

Basically,I think you guys are just pissed because you lost all your colonies as well as having Ireland flip you the bird, we have a right to be free, GET OVER IT.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but you should look
at your own laws before calling someone else's 'lax'.

I may be opening a whole new can of worms here, but I am just trying to point out to you that NO law is perfect, and that Europe has their fair share of problems too

Hell man, even Japan, a country that previously had no record of armed violence, still suffers from at LEAST 30,000 suicides a year from societal stress, as well as a chemical attack in 1995 that killed and left some people sick.

Is it America's fault that the Death Cult had Sarin gas???

All I'm saying is look around you man, look around.

I think I've said it all pretty well, even if a bit long. No law is perfect, and even so, the responsible one should not have to suffer from the maladies of the irresponsible.

Inany case I bear you no grudge, I'mjust asking you to drink your own cup of tea before telling someone else that their's needs sugar, OK? Take care man Reptilicus.

No I guess it's OK to omit THAT part of your accusation when it comes to 'lax gun laws', right? You KNOW people in Europe have been murdered by gangs with weapons, c'mon.
But I guess that's OK because as the gangs say 'It just business, nothing personal, right'?

How many times have traditionally unarmed Brit police officers taken their lives in their hands when confronting a violent suspect armed with a gun or a knife? How many have DIED as a result of having only the bare basics to defend with.

And in England, a police officer or constable can only search a house if he gets his foot in the door, other wise he cannot come in. have you forgotten to tell us that too?

It's only what YOU wanna hear,man.
But it seems that YOUR laws have their own faults too-allowing someone to get away for lack of a search warrant as well as the positionof the officer's foot relative to the door, as well as leaving law enforcement officials with nothing to fight back with in case shots are fired.
Golgo13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 02:59
BTW-disregard anything past my Board Name with the smilie-it was a rough draft of the same thng I was trying to say in general.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 03:03
A fair bit of IRA weapons were the result of Americans giving them donations.

Most of weapons used in crime are generally unregistered/re-activated and modified, which as was pointed out when our gun laws were introduced, would mean the laws would be useless.

I think in London, most police officers in London (which is where the largest gun problems are), are armed.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
Oh my, yes...
Golgo13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 03:15
Thank God they are armed in London, if even in one area of England. Yes, the donations to the IRA were American made, but what if the Germans or someone gave them the guns?

It could have just as easily happened if, for example, the IRA sided with Germany in WW2 and brought England down from the inside. You know the old saying-keep your friends close and your enemies closer...... never rule anything out.

Guns can be obtained in any way-where there is a will,there is a way-people can kill barehanded too, like martial artists and trained martial experts-does that mean that we have to pass a law forbidding them to possess their arms and legs?
Again, with great power, comes great responsibility, and not everyone is responsible, but many of us, like myself, ARE.
It dosen't make me any better than anyone else, but smarter, YES, if that means I can obey the law and do my own thng without hurting anyone else.

In that case, yes I AM better, because I obey the law the way it was intended to be obeyed. Hope everyone understands me better now.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 04:50
@Golgo13

Obviously strict gun laws doesn't eradicate gun crime, but it does help. We have far less gun crime in the UK than in the US. The thing is, if people can legally buy guns, it is much easier for criminals to get them into places like shopping malls and so on because possession is illegal. It also makes it easier for the police because they can take people down for possession, even if they have no evidence of use of the gun.

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Golgo13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 09:42
Very well put, Darth Shader-I agree with you wholly on this-the laws, while strict, allow the police to charge people with possession as you say, and prosecute them, so the laws work in favor as well, even if we don't see it right away.

All I was saying is that where there's a will there's a way, and hands and feet, a hammer, whatever, can kill as well.

In WW2, Truman got around all the legalities and Anti-British sentiment with his 'Lend-Lease Act', where his rationale was that there was a fire in Britian's back yard, and that he, like any good neighbor, was "lending them his hose to help put it out".

So he ordered all the companies to buy out all the British arms contracts so that his name was on them, have them finish the weapons and then allowed Britian to use them under his Lend Lease rationale. That was one time when guns were definitely needed, even if it goes into other territory.

I really like England-
I am of English descent and Scots-English on the other.
I have met my relatives and they have the lovely Newcastle 'Geordie' accent. You don't know if they're Scot or English, and I am proud of the heritage they have brought with them.

I would like to go over and visit them again someday, but money is tight, as usual.
But hey, England, as a friend and ally of the U.S. are truly the coolest people. Fish and Chips, Bangers and Mash, Toad In A Hole, it's all good

And hey, they gave us Monty Python and Benny Hill!

We love ya'!

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 06:36
^_^ monty python is awesome... ive never seen any benny hill... is it funny or retarded...i saw some infomercials for his stuff... didnt look to great... it looked like he focused on women... O_O only ... (raven dont say anything to that)...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 15:09:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 15:09:14