Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Screen Scrolling, Help Needed :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 13:30
Hi all, I have recently begun to try and remake cannon foder in dark basic pro. The idea i had of how to do it was to make 2 bitmaps, one would be black and white to say where you can and cant walk with the second bitmap being the graphics overlaid over the top, now, this is no problem for me aslong as it is a 1 screen sized map. What i would like to know is how i could make this more than 1 screen and make the screen scroll along to a different part of the bitmap. Are there any commands like a screen offset that i could use to point the screen at the correct part of my bitmap.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2004 21:25
Large bitmaps are probably not the best route to take.

Do a search in the 2D discussion forum, and you'll see various tiling methods and details of background collision systems.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Dithmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 07:35
Thanks, I have been looking into tile systems to see if it would be easier to do that way but just for curiosities sake, is it possable to do it with bitmaps the way i thought of it with maybe 2x2 screen size bitmaps? (i used to do it this way with Amos basic back in the days of the amiga, it meant i could put the backgrounds and sprites in where they were needed and just move the screen offset to point where i needed it)
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2004 05:03
@Dithmo,

Yes you can. You have to be careful with the bitmap sizes as some cards have lower limits on those sizes than others.

You can see an example using this type of system in the Shadow of the Beast example - it uses the COPY BITMAP system to perform a side-to-side parallax scroll ... unfortunately, I don't know where that example is any more

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 21:27:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 21:27:25